Everyday Math: Hate it or Love it?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by LycoManda, Nov 30, 2005.

1. LycoManda

LycoManda Rookie

Nov 30, 2005

Tell me what you think about Everyday Math. Ive heard extreme views from both sides, but it seems as if teachers either despise it or adore it! Tell me what you think!

3. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Nov 30, 2005

Love Love Love It!!!!!

4. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Nov 30, 2005

Hate it! My low kids STRUGGLE with it! Our Resource Room/team agrees that it is a terrible program for LD, low average, etc. students. THey can't even master a concept and they are whisked on to something entirely different. I don't feel that the 2nd grade curriculum is adequatly covered either. For instance, time, money, + and - trading, etc. are not hit on enough for what our district/state demands, so we end up doing pull-out units. Yes, I know, the company says you shouldn't need to, blah, blah, blah, but after a couple years of not doing the pull-outs (and following the manual to a T) and having our 3rd grade teachers mad at us, students who couldn't tell time, etc., and angry parents trying to teach their kids at home, we decided this is what was best for kids.
    The games are good, and my higher level kids do well with the program. Average ones do average.

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 30, 2005

Hate it as well! Our district adopted it a few years ago, and I agree with what Beth said. It is not a program for ALL kids especially those with special needs. Those who do great in math would do so in any program and those who are average or struggle are not better off. Also, the math testing scores in our district are on the decline as well and this (surprise, surprise) coincides with the adoption of Everyday Math.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 30, 2005

Hate it same reason as above. I don't really like Mathland all that much either.

7. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Nov 30, 2005

Must add that our district is always the last to do things-following the "higher" ranked districts in many decisions...so, after piloting Mathland (yeah, not that great either) and EM (higher-ups minds were already made up to adopt it regardless...) we adopted it. Now some of the districts that we followed into this dumb mistake are getting rid of it!!!! AHHH! Knowing our district, it will be another 10-15 years before we dump it and kids can learn math again. :(

8. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Nov 30, 2005

So far, I think it is OK. This is my first year using it, so I am getting used to it. I'm still figuring out how much time to spend on each topic. :)

One thing I don't like....
    I you get a new student (this has happened to me) that hasn't had the program before, it is REALLY hard for them to get caught up. It's even worse if they are low in math. Our school does not use it for pull-out LD students, they have their own material.

I have also found that you have to do supplemental activities to be prepared for testing (things like extra fact practice, etc.) I think most do this with any math program, though.

9. 1st grade daisy

1st grade daisy Rookie

Nov 30, 2005

I definitely have to agree with definitely! Getting a new student who has never had EM, makes it very difficult to get them into the routine and procedures of EM. I have been doing EM for 3 years now. I guess I dont have a Love it or Hate it feeling. I do however, feel like it needs to focus more on simple math facts. When my kids leave my 1st grade class, I don't feel comfortable about their simple addition and subtraction skills. I have to supplement with mad minute math to learn their math facts.

10. Keling9

Keling9 Companion

Nov 30, 2005

Mixed feelings about it. We're in our second year with it. I am teaching the math for 3 kindergarten classes. (I have the other two classes while mine is off having science and social studies with the other two teachers.)

I can say that it is definately a little too fast paced for those low students or for students who have never had it. BUT, I do like it for the fact that it covers such a broad spectrum of things and it's full of ideas. I am constantly going back over things though and have arranged math centers 3 times a week in my classroom. This helps the kids grasp concepts a little better...but I still find myself using supplemental materials to really "see" how the kids are doing since I'm bad with the checklists they provide.

11. cwalsh

cwalsh Rookie

Nov 30, 2005

Love it for my high and average kids. Hate it for me low kids.

12. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Dec 1, 2005

Hated it! For the reasons mentioned above, and for the way that we were to grade the 'checking progress'... had me pulling my hair out! Someone above mentioned supplemental material, well our EM committee said NO to supplements!
    Parents are unfamiliar with the 'new way' to perform + and x problems... this was a big problem because kids would be completely confused because their parents either a)didn't attempt to learn the 'new way' and showed them the way they know, or b) got so frustrated trying to figure out the 'new way' that they gave up and showed them their own method.
    I did like the math boxes pages because they kept reviewing the old stuff... but the old stuff hadn't been covered enough to be effective. And, despite what the supporters of EM kept saying, I never saw the spiral work!

13. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Dec 1, 2005

Wow! Our results certainly are different than many of those who posted! This is the fifth program I've used and by far the best. I like it because it teaches CONCEPTS, as apposed to many that focus on process. EDM makes kids think on many different levels. Students learn WHY, not just HOW.