Everyday Math Games Organization

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Kit, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Kit

Kit Rookie

Jul 2, 2008

Last year was our first year using Everyday Math and I really struggled with how to organize the games. I was copying needed materials as needed and did not have time to laminate and organize everything the way I would have liked. I'm using some of this summer to copy things on cardstock and laminate so that they will last a bit longer. I need ideas on how to organize everything! What do you do?

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 2, 2008

I use picture boxes from Michaels (they have great sales on theses) and hanging folders. If a game has little cards for it, number the backs of the cards-one deck has '1' on the back of all cards, another deck has '2' on the back, ect. Then when you find a random card, you can match it to the deck. I copy all one game on a color paper, and then I don't re-use it for another game, so I know the purple cards go with math baseball or whatever. My team teacher and I sat down and made copies of all the games, but they are still waiting to be cut out and put together in packets. That is a summer project, among others.

4. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Jul 2, 2008

I had the exact same problem last year - it was a complete mess! However, I'm glad I did not spend my free time organizing the materials because we are not using the Everyday Math curriuculum this year. I'd recommend preparing the games before school starts and then keep them organized in bins that you can keep in a cabinet or bookshelf.

5. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 2, 2008

I got two gallon zip lock bags and put everything in the bag that was needed to play the game. I then put packing tape in one corner (for extra support) and punched a hole in that corner. Each unit has a book ring that I put all of the bags that contain the games for that unit on. Each time I start a new unit, I pull out the next book ring and hang it on a hook in my room. All of the games and supplies I need are now at my finger tips. It took a LONG time to set up, but it saved me a TON of time over the course of the year.

6. ParaPacker

ParaPacker Rookie

Jul 2, 2008

Everyday math stuff

I use gallon bags as well. They are nice and easy for storage, although they can get messy when students do not organize them. This next year, I will have an area just for math games. Title 1 purchased the game kit so there are game boards and cards already to go in the bin. I also will focus mini-lessons in math on how to use the game area so I do no have a disaster again this year.

I have a friend that has all games in large manila folders and inside the folders are the bags for the games for each partner pair. It works for her.

As for the manipulatives for the games and lessons, I struggle with that every year. This year I am asking students to bring in a pencil box. This should fit a deck of cards (everyday math or regular), pair of dice, pattern template, calculator and 6 inch ruler. This will help with the game pieces as well as needed lesson materials And the Wandering calculators.

I think it is a work in progress. I cannot get into my room now until August so I am writing down ideas and saving them to use then and have my parent helpers (if I have any) work on them when I get back. Thanks for all the suggestions!!!:2up: