Everydath Math is the worst. :(

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 22, 2012

I never used this program before this year and I find it:

a) confusing to teach - I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to present this material in a way that makes sense for my kids.
    b) ineffective
    c) confusing to learn (especially for special ed students who really need to practice and reinforce a skill before moving on)

In a word, I hate it. My kids are separated into two groups so I have to try to figure this out for 2 different grade levels. To compound everything, I'm missing almost all the materials and really just have one copy of some (but not all of the consumables) and the teacher's manual. Everything else is "on order" for me. :(

So how do I give them little pieces of math concepts, move on to something else the next day, and then revisit them and expect kids with significant learning disabilities to retain a concept that we barely touched on days or weeks ago?

Shouldn't concepts be mastered? Shouldn't a teacher spend days or weeks on a skill until it is mastered before moving on to an entirely new topic that builds upon it?

Any advice for making this program work - especially for kids with learning disabilities?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2012

I've tutored kids whose schools use EM...I don't like it.

4. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Sep 22, 2012

Are you allowed any flexibility? Would prefer hint vocabulary and inserting some extra skill practice help?

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 22, 2012

I love EDM...but it should NEVER be used in Special Ed! Not without some serious supplementing, anyway.

Can you slow down? Take one concept and spend all week on it. You're going to have to. The spiraling is not going to work for them. If it did, they'd be back in gen ed and not in SPED in the first place. :whistle:

I have learned that nobody wants to touch SPED with a 10 foot pole, :lol:. So I am a little more flexible in doing what I need/want to do. Make a plan on what you think is best. If you present it to admin and make it about authetic student learning, they should understand.

6. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 22, 2012

Funny, this showed up right under "Why don't most students like math?" on my list of threads.

7. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Sep 22, 2012

I had to teach Everyday Math for a few years, and I'll agree it was very difficult. I had some kids crying everyday during math class because they just didn't get it. My principal really wanted us to do it, so there wasn't really any getting around it, but we did supplement, supplement, supplement. We used old Saxon worksheets (I know...illegal...shhhh) for homework and did a problem solving test prep book on Fridays. Everyday Math was still stressful, but doing all that made it more manageable because I felt like my kids were still getting the spiraling and practice they needed.

8. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 22, 2012

^Sorry to butt in again, but I gotta say those Saxon worksheets are great. I taught EDM 2 years ago, and then full blown Saxon curriculum last year. I swore ALL year that I hated Saxon and it was boring and I missed games and conceptual math and FUN with EDM....but my new school is also Saxon and it's helping them more than EDM ever would I think. Jerseygirl-I bought an extra Saxon workbook to copy out of for like $10 on Amazon. Might be a perfect supplement!

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2012

Everyday math is great for the population the program was designed for (gifted and advanced students). It has some great strategies for students with learning disabilities but is not a good program for these kids.

I hated saxon math for most students, but it does work for students with severe learning disabilities. It is so dry and boring and it did not go deep enough into problem solving.

But mixing what you have with some other resources is the way I would go. Whether you move units around in the everyday math series or use it as a resource and focus on the standards, totally up to what your district will allow.

10. applecore

applecore Devotee

Sep 22, 2012

EM is a spiraling program for sure, and in need of supplementing with the new CCS. But I agree, we need to teach to mastery or to where students are developing in each area.

We've used it for over 8 years from first grade through fifth with our students scoring advanced on ISAT tests. The down fall is that when new students come into the district, they are low or just at development because the concepts we are learning have higher level thinking and concepts than other schools are working on in our area.

I use EM in differentiated groups; my resource students are pulled out for Saxon math at their level. I use a concept board to review the mental math and reflexes pieces with other things that I know my students need to reveiw; such as place value.

If you can, I highly recommened checking into teaching it in centers. Beth Newingham has a website that she uses with EM in centers; and it was very helpful to get started.

11. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2012

If you're using common core then your school needs to take a serious look at how they're using EDM. We're technically still using EDM but supplementing to ensure that we're meeting all of the common core standards. And so far what this means is that my EDM teacher's manual has been opened once this year. I'm doing a ton of work to find materials for math but I'm just glad we finally got the go ahead to stop following that program. It was terrible for my population of students last year. I've never heard anyone say they like using EDM

12. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Sep 23, 2012

iteach, you said exactly what I am doing this year! We are not implementing CCS yet, but we will next year. My team decided to go ahead and start piloting CCS with our kids this year. EDM does not align with CCS, so we are supplementing. Fortunately, we have an awesome resource who has been working closely with our district for the past 2 years. She is wonderful! She is the NCTM president, and she has been walking us through CCS. Our focus has switched to more problem solving, and the kids my work harder, but they are understanding WHY math works.

13. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2012

I've never taught EM, but speaking as a mom, I hated it. My DS had a very frustrating time with it and never really recovered mathematically. He's very bright in all other areas.

14. msufan

msufan Comrade

Sep 23, 2012

When my district used Everyday Math, we as teachers taught parts of it in a different order to try to create little units with some consistency and make things as sequential as possible. Not sure if that's an option for you.

15. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Sep 23, 2012

I LOVE Everyday Math. But Sped kids need more repetition. I would def go with using the checks frequently to check for understanding. I would focus on one method/strategy for any of the concepts. I would drill that strategy until the student has a thorough understanding. It can be used, but will take more thought from you to make it successful to use with struggling learners.

16. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 24, 2012

My local district has been using Everyday Math for the past three years. They hate it.

The resource room teacher skips around the book to teach them the same concepts, then tests them on the individual concepts, rather than doing the spiraling method the book does.

17. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 26, 2012

Thank you for your responses. I got permission from the sped dept. to modify and supplement this program as needed so that's my plan. I'm basically going to present the material in the order it is presented in the book, but suppliment so each concept takes an extra day or two - at least as they are presented initally. Otherwise, there is no way any of this will make sense for my kids and I'm going to lose them completely.

By the way, I've talked to a few adults whose kids went through this program and they say their kids (gen ed) never properly learned math - never fully grasped concepts and basic facts. Again, these are just anecdotes, but it's enough to make me feel like I'm doing the best thing for my students. I definitely feel strongly that this program would not work for kids with learning disabilities.

18. txagteach

txagteach Rookie

Sep 26, 2012

I personally LOVED EDM, but I also was teaching at a private school with mostly GT/HA kiddos. However, like MOST curriculums out there, it's not a "one size fits all" deal and needed supplementing and/or a few days to complete some activities that we needed to spend more time on.