Every Day Math

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Lionteacher, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jun 17, 2013

What can you tell me about Everyday Math? My principal is looking at us getting it since they say they are common core math ready. I would love to hear pros and cons from people who use it. Thanks guy for any and all feed back.

3. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 17, 2013

Huh. I'm pretty sure my district is having to dump EDM after only two years because of the CCSS coming out. ?

4. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 17, 2013

EDM is NOT common core ready. We have been using it for years, and they have not changed any content, they have only added a few lessons, but have taken NOTHING out. :dizzy:
    I strongly suggest your principal look at other math programs to be common core ready.

5. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jun 17, 2013

Never hated an academic program more than this one. Not only isn't it aligned with common core, it is just a terrible program IMO. Doesn't teach to mastery and is extremely confusing to lower level students. There is literally nothing I like about it.

6. kab164

kab164 Companion

Jun 17, 2013

As a Title 1 teacher, I don't care for it. My sister's kids all struggled with it and she actually paid for summer tutors because of it. In my opinion, it works well for average and above math students, but those who don't get math easily will likely struggle with it. Our school has very high math scores so I doubt we will get anything else but I feel it's more due to the type of students our district has than the program. We are near a university and have fairly academic families.

Our principal was recently at a meeting where an experienced math teacher was clear that she thought Everyday Math is NOT a good program with the Common Core.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 17, 2013

We had Everyday Math for awhile. It is okay at best. I would recommend shopping around for better.

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 17, 2013

I've not used it but taught a grade above one that did. I had to spend a lot of time reteaching.

9. Texuye

Texuye New Member

Jul 31, 2013

I'm also from Texas and I piloted the program a couple of years ago in my fifth grade classroom. The challenge is that it doesn't address all of the TEKS and is a fairly advanced program. I liked the graphics in the text and the abundance of words problems.

Hope this helps.

10. dianejw

dianejw Companion

Sep 14, 2013

I've taught Everyday Math for 6 years and it takes awhile for the teachers and students to gain mastery of it, but it was an excellent program with respect to Ohio standards. Overall students came to me stronger in math content than ever before. However it is true that it is not Common Core Ready in anyway. They just changed some pages and added some into their curriculum. The teachers in our district spent much time this past summer picking and pulling content to match up with the 5th grade Common Core. It's hard to believe there isn't a good ready-made math curriculum out there for Common Core.

11. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Sep 14, 2013

:yeahthat: