Every Day Counts Calendar Math

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by CeCe, May 10, 2005.

1. CeCe

CeCe Companion

May 10, 2005

Does anybody use Every Day Counts Calendar Math? I'm just curious if there's anything in this program that's different than the "normal" calendar routines most K teachers do.

3. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

May 11, 2005

You know, this is horrible, but I used to use this program and am struggilng to think of even one component of it! I've also used Math Their Way and now Growing with Math, and they all seem to blend together....

I think we did a birthday "graph" of sorts, calendar pieces in a pattern, even/odd days, counting to the 100th day of school...but that all seems pretty standard.
    Kim

4. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

May 11, 2005

They've been discussing this calendar program on the kinder board at teachers.net -- it keeps coming up over and over. I haven't really read any of the threads though, since I don't teach K. :D

5. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

May 13, 2005

I was at the copier today, and, guess what was laying there? A teacher's guide to Every Day Counts!
    Here are some of the components: (keep in mind that they start very simple and add a component or two a month, so these are all in place by the last month of school)
    Calendar with patterned pieces
    birthday baskets (pieces come out and go on the calendar each month)
    Clip collection (add a paper clip to a chain each day, eventually collecting into groups of 10, then 100 - place value)
    a counting tape (counts days of school)
    an every day graph
    daily depositor (counting up to the number of the day of the month, using coins and their values) - at some points of the year, they do this with weight and volume instead of coins,
    Daily dominoes (basically, recognizing sets by sight alone, and making different numbers by adding sets)
    Every day estimation (can be numbers, amount, measurement, anything, really)

Hope this helps...I have to run and return this book!
    Kim

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 13, 2005

For 1st we used it...did some sort of variariation of the above posters comments.

We used patterning, money, weather graph, tallies. Thee is also a workbook that each child used to reiforce skills. Sometimes we got to it & sometimes on homework day I'd send that home.

Hope this helps.

7. CeCe

CeCe Companion

May 13, 2005

Thanks, kimrandy & dizneeteachr, for taking the time to reply. That sounds almost exactly like what I'm already doing, except I haven't done any calendar stuff relating to volume or weight.

Ellen, I visited the kinder board at teachers.net and did a search for calendar threads, but it said something like "there is no index for that topic," I'll have to try to figure out what I'm doing wrong. :confused:

8. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

May 13, 2005

I think they may have "rolled off" the board already (that board moves really fast, so many people post so often). I tried searching and found only one single post (no responses yet). Sorry to get your hopes up!

9. sandimreyes

sandimreyes Comrade

May 13, 2005

We use Every Day Counts calendar math at my school. It is a good program, but I don't think it incorporates enough for K. I add a lot of my own things to it. I think it's better for upper grades.

10. CeCe

CeCe Companion

May 13, 2005

Oh, thanks Sandi, that's what I wanted to know. I'm just always looking for a little something extra to beef up calendar time!