Ever thought this?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ms.teach, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Ms.teach

Ms.teach Rookie

Jun 7, 2011

Have you ever though that never in a million years would you have so much trouble finding a teaching job? I live in an area where jobs were plentiful until the year I graduated. I've now done things I've never thought I'd do return back to school for a new career, teach preschool in child care and substitute and get by on it. I was sure I would find a job that summer after graduation now it's the third summer after graduation and there are RIF's all around. I'm still doing what I can up until last minute. I've sent out tons of resume's but there are naturally no positions posted. I really wasn't prepared for the reality of the job market when I graduated. I really thought that if I gave it my all something would come through. Sometimes even that isn't good enough! I'm finally to the point now I realize it isn't personal. It's just how things are and it sucks.

3. TheBagLady

TheBagLady Rookie

Jun 8, 2011

I remember when I first chose teaching as my major, everyone told me that it was such a good choice, because there are always jobs and there will always be a need for teachers! I'm feeling glad I chose a high needs area (special ed.), or I might still be job hunting right now.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2011

Honestly, it's ALWAYS been like that in the NYC metro area.

The economy hasn't made things noticeably harder, because they were always pretty impossible here anyway.

I remember as a kid in the early 70's, every single time we went to my cousin's house, my uncle was trying to talk my cousin out of becoming a teacher, because there were no jobs.

She did teach for about a decade, then left teaching to work in pharmecutical sales.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2011

If you really want to teach, you just keep trying. I know that sometimes it takes a few years to find a job, but if you are subbing in districts---at least you are getting known out there.

6. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 8, 2011

Yes, indeed! I have had very good luck in the past. When I graduated in '90, I got hired on my second interview out. The second time I looked, I got hired on my first interview! This time....well, I have only been on one interview, because there are no jobs around here to apply for! I have one resume out right now and waiting to hear back. Hoping something else opens up near me so I can at least APPLY for something!

7. SwimPenumbra

SwimPenumbra Rookie

Jun 8, 2011

It is rough for everyone.

It is one of the worst recessions in this country. You face it, I face it, and tons of people face it. I applied for a non-teaching job two months ago, and went for a test, later they told me my rank was 12th out of 200, still no deal. Really, I am just like you, I don't know what to do next. I just wish 30 years later when I remember these years, I could say I did everything right, and the choice I made was a smart one. Good luck.

8. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

Jun 8, 2011

Ms. Teach, I totally feel that way. When I graduated in 2004, all you heard was "it is a shortage of teachers"! I can't tell. In my state they have critical need subjects, and critical need areas. I have small children so it is not so easy for me to just hop up and move to another part of this HOT state! :D I have even added another endorsement to my license, praying it helps me get one step closer to teaching :|

9. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 9, 2011

I heard the same thing when I graduated in 2005. I also noticed that back then I started to hear radio commercials from universities encouraging people from other professions to become teachers. It all started with one or two universities and now it seems that every university around here has a program to help anybody become a teacher. I think this makes the job market even worse.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 9, 2011

My mother took years to get a full-time teaching job. However, she would only apply to the high school where she subbed, my father taught and my brother and I attended. It skewed my understanding of the application process for years and was one of the reasons I dropped out of the certification program in my 20s (there were a few other reasons, but that was one of them).

11. sunni11

sunni11 Rookie

Jun 9, 2011

This is no fun!! I have been on 4 interviews, and no luck. It's a downer for sure!!! It is still early in the summer, so I am still keeping my fingers crossed! Fortunately, we do have jobs posted, but I know there are a lot of applicants out there!!

12. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Jun 9, 2011

I've been on 9 interviews with 6 different districts and nothing. We have positions posted in my general area but lots of applicants. I'm applying like a mad woman but I also am trying to be realistic and have a back-up plan.

13. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jun 9, 2011

I too didn't think I would have trouble finding a job. Florida was such a hot place for teachers. They were recruiting EVERYWHERE. Lo and behold I finish my master's right when the bubble bursts. It was an incredibly humbling experience. My first position took me until after school started then it was cut. It then took me another full year of job searching to find something. It's not a good time to be looking for any job let alone a teaching job when the headlines state "teacher layoffs"

14. Ms.teach

Ms.teach Rookie

Jun 9, 2011

I agree you do have to be realistic during this time....There aren't any jobs posted in my area so I haven't had an interview this summer yet but my biggest problem is after every interview I visualize myself in that position and imagine getting the phone call....I hope I don't fall into that trap this time around, that is if there are any positions that open up! After over 50 interviews over 2 years I've gotten a lot better and my skin has grown a whole lot thicker!