Ever sub for JROTC?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Zanadu, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Mar 30, 2007

I have been assigned to sub for the high School JROTC classes next week. I've been in classes where I felt somewhat uncomfortable with my knowledge of the subject matter but I have absolutely no clue what students cover in JROTC. Anybody ever covered this and knows something about it? I'm hoping that I won't be required to lead them around on the grounds in formation. That will be a laugh. I might be married to a marine but I've never been in the armed forces or any type of ROTC before.

3. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Mar 30, 2007

Is this the Naval NJROTC unit at Nile C. Kinnick High School on the main island (Honshu) of Japan smcneely?

You may want to read more about NJRTC at Wikipedia. CLICK HERE. The official NJROTC homepage can be found here while the Kinnick High School JROTC page can be found here.

I doubt you'll be responsible all by yourself. In JROTC there's usually two retired military personnel who are in charge of the program.

And yes, the kids drill a lot and amrch through the school in addition to doing their book work and wearing their unfirom once a week. I believe inspections are once a month.

But again, don't worry about it a whole lot. There should be another retired military person there. SNSI LCDR Kevin S. Mode, USN and NSI PH1 Omar Hasan, USN are the two retired Naval officials in charge of the JROTC program at Kinnick High School. I'm going to assume the one who's not out will assist you and offer to answer any questions you may have. In fact, he may even step in and take it over for you while you sit back, watch, and don't lift much of a finger yourself. I never remember having a civilian sub for NJROTC. (I spent my first year and a half of high school in the public school system and was in NJORTC - even went to mini-boot camp too!) If one was out, the other usually took over.

4. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Mar 30, 2007

When I was in NJROTC in high school here in Washington, it was mostly student-led. In addition to that, for the underclassmen, there were upperclassmen that "ran" their classes. Either way, there should be someone else there (a retired military person), because all units are supposed to have a NSI (naval science instructor) and an ANSI (Assistant or Associate NSI).

I would agree with Elizabeth _1977 -- you will not likely be doing much. But it will be a different experience, compared to subbing in other classrooms. Let us know what you think of it. :)

5. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Mar 30, 2007

We're at MCAS Iwakuni so it's MCJROTC. According to todays paper there's a Far East Competition next week which I assume is why I will be subbing. It's actually quite possible that I will only have a few students since a majority will be at the competition(I hope). I hope it's like you suggested with another instructor stepping in. My husband has shown some interest in becoming a JROTC instructor when he retires in two years. It'd be nice to give him a little more information on what's involved. I'll let you know how it goes.

And thanks for the sites Elizabeth. I checked them out. There's a lot of emphasis on skills but also instruction in military science. Maybe they'll be doing some of the latter in class.

6. Suburban Gal

Mar 30, 2007

Oh okay! I wasn't sure exactly where you were and Kinnick High School on the main island (Honshu) of Japan was the first thing that came up in my Yahoo! search.

I have a friend who's in the Navy and is retiring come this June. His CO tried to get him tot hink about teaching NJROTC, but he wants to stay in the medical field. (He's a Corpsman.)

Tell your DH that the military is hurting for JROTC instructors and can really, really use them right now.

7. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Apr 1, 2007

I LOVE subbing ROTC! As agreed, it was mainly student-led. For nearly the first time in a public school classroom, I was actually treated like a guest by the students! They took role, they led discussion, they answered each other's questions, they enforced discipline (push-ups, laps, etc.), they ran drills... you get the idea! Honestly, I have dropped other appointments to take the class! Seriously, it's my favorite class!

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 1, 2007

I'm posting just so I can hear the update. :)

9. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Apr 2, 2007

JROTC will be held on Tuesday and Thursday this week; our high school B days. I feel kind of deflated after looking at the lesson plan. Apparently they will be watching "National Treasure". I am to stop the movie periodically to discuss various traits of leadership. I've had most of these students in other classes I've subbed for and they aren't the most talkative bunch. I'm hoping tomorrow they will be in their element and the discussions will be a bit more lively otherwise it's going to be a long class.

BTW both instructors are gone. However, our VP used to be one of the instructors so I do have him around if needed.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 2, 2007

Well, if you have the assignment, at least you can come up with some prompts for the conversation.

Maybe generate (or have them generate) a list of some of history's great leaders (for good or evil) and then talk about why people followed those people.

The good ones are easy. But how is it possible for a "bad" leader to rise to power (assuming he doesn't start off with military power.) For example, what was it about Hitler that made rational people follow him?

11. Suburban Gal

Apr 2, 2007

It doesn't sound like it'll be too bad then. How hard can it be to show a movie and discuss stuff from the movie?

GOOD LUCK!

I just love it when they leave movies for me and have the kids take notes OR discuss things. It makes it so much easier on me as the sub.

12. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Apr 3, 2007

I have to admit it didn't go too bad. I sat and watched the movie the night before with my husband, the marine, and we chose my pause points and identified the traits. The students were able to identify most of the traits portrayed but getting them to tell me how was like pulling teeth. I finally figured out how to get them more involved.

Alice that's a good idea. I've made it a point to pause and discuss traits for both the protagonist and antagonist. They seem to think that because the antagonist is a bad guy that he isn't actually showing any of the traits. I'll probably have them compare and contrast the two men and the traits they exhibited. Then they can extrapolate from there.

"How hard can it be ...?" LOL. So many of my projects have started out with this phrase only for me to find out how hard something CAN be. Luckily I have today behind me so the sense of doom is diminshed. I just thought it was funny to see this particular phrase after I have sworn never to use it again.