Ever sponsored a class? I need tips!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Accountable, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Accountable

Accountable Companion

Jun 17, 2013

I'm picking up the Freshman class next year, Class of '17. I've never sponsored a class before. I didn't even attend my own prom. I could sure use some sage advice.

3. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jun 17, 2013

I have been the sponsor to the classes of '08, '12, and '16 at my school. The first thing you will need to do is hold an election for freshman class officers. I usually do one or two field trips per year. Actually, we just went to a local amusement park this past Saturday. We have also gone to the United Nations, Bronx Zoo, Metropolitan Museum of Art, etc. You will need to do a lot of fundraising. Car washes can be good money makers. We have held raffles, sold class t-shirts, and done wrist bands with the school slogan. You will also have to book/organize the prom, senior trip, homecoming dance (if you do that at your school) and possibly even graduation. It's a lot of work, but I have always enjoyed it!

4. Accountable

Accountable Companion

Jun 17, 2013

Thanks. I'm told the prom costs around $25K for everything. Should we be holding some for that every year, or fundraise for the trips & such and spend what we've raised?

5. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jun 17, 2013

Yeah, I think that was what the prom cost for us last year, too. We collect class dues from students, so that helps the most toward the prom costs. We ask for $20 per year for grades 10, 11, and 12. Students don't need to pay class dues to graduate, but they need to be up to date if they want to participate in class activities. At my school, the class always makes the most money (around $5,000) from the Homecoming Dance, because it's a popular event and most of the ticket sales goes directly back to the class. When we do field trips, the extra money we raise goes into the class account and also helps toward the prom costs. I just found out a few days ago that we actually still have over $4,000 in the Class of 2012 account. I was very surprised to hear that, because I thought we used almost everything in the account on end-of-the-year activities so the money wouldn't be sitting there for years and years. (We still have money in the '08 account. In fact, we just helped the school purchase a new football scoreboard from that class!) You will probably end up raising more than you ever expected. If you don't raise as much as you wanted, you just need to have a higher prom bid price when students are seniors. It all evens out in the end!

6. Accountable

Accountable Companion

Jun 17, 2013

Student dues is an excellent idea. I haven't heard of that before.

Any recommendations on where to get promotional items such as lanyards, pins, stickers, etc?