Ever Sell Your GCs?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 28, 2013

I got one this Christmas for Sonic for $10 & had this other one for $25 for Ticketmaster. I'm getting a total of $27 & change for them. Hey, it's better than a kick in the shins!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2013

Ms I, with all the shows you see, why would you not keep the Ticketmaster Gift Card?

I've never sold one. I did give my husband one I had gotten as a gift; he was arranging housing for a homeless man in conjunction with Catholic Charities and gave the man the Target gift card for Christmas. We figured he could get a warm hat or gloves or some food.

The rest of them I've always used.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 28, 2013

I can always find something, no matter where it is from.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 28, 2013

I've never resold them, but I'm not ashamed to regift them.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 28, 2013

I've re-gifted a couple, but I can almost always find a way to spend them. I hang onto them until I find a use.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 28, 2013

I know. If I had it 1-2 mos ago, I would have used it, but I already bought tickets to 4 performances & I'd rather have the $ I could get from it rather than hold onto it for several mos to a year longer. I didn't pay for it in the 1st place.

Actually my BF got a Sonic & a Dickey's BBQ Pit one & out of all the restaurants/eateries in our area, those 2 would be the ones we'd go to last, if at all. So, I figured, why not try to get some $ out of them. I couldn't get it from the Dickey's one. No website I found will redeem for that place.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 28, 2013

I just loaded my gift cards in my wallet, Outback, BooksaMillion, and frozen yogurt. I'll be using those Monday. And, I found a $20 School Aids card from last year. :) So I'll probably end up using it, too. I've never sold a gift card, but I have regifted. As long as they don't have an expiration date, I just hold them until someone can use them.

9. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Dec 28, 2013

Same here. I'm paranoid that if I were to resell them (like on Ebay) the person might lie and say the card was empty when they got it which could cause a whole lot of mess/headache that I don't want to deal with.

Yup, me too. The only gift card that I've never used is one for Bed, Bath and Beyond and that's only because there isn't one near me. Once it dawned on me I could just ordered something online, I'd misplaced the card. :banghead:

10. bison

bison Habitué

Dec 28, 2013

I don't receive enough gift cards to consider this. Even the ones that I feel like I wouldn't normally need come in handy eventually. For example, I don't really like going to Starbucks, but the gift cards come in handy because lots of my friends enjoy stopping in when we hang out. Then I can get an iced tea or something for free and treat them to a coffee too. :)

Edit: Also, in the state of CA, if the balance on the card is less than $10, it is redeemable in cash if you request it.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2013

I've contemplated it, but never done it. My aunt always buys me an iTunes gift card. I still haven't even entered the last one into my account, and I got another one for Christmas. I considered 'buying' some movies, but they are so expensive from iTunes!
    I tell my mom every year to try and have her get me an Amazon gift card.
    I hate to sound ungrateful, but I repeatedly get a gift card that I rarely use!! (I rarely buy apps, and I have a Rhapsody subscription that I love for music.)

12. bison

bison Habitué

Dec 28, 2013

Now that you say this, I have regifted iTunes gift cards rather than sold them. They're good for teens.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2013

I definitely would do this- if I had a teenager to buy for! I'm the youngest of my generation- my parents were both the babies. So all my cousins have young kids.

14. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2013

I should try selling some. I get TONS of Starbucks gift cards, and I don't like coffee and never go there for anything else. I usually just give them to my husband.

15. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 29, 2013

We usually save any restaurant GCs for vacation. Same with cards like VISA. Store specific cards we may save to use to purchase birthday gifts. They will get used at my house.

I'm not a big iTunes person, but I was just looking at some music that I wanted. It's not something that I would normally purchase, but if I had a GC I would.

16. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Dec 29, 2013

We always usually find a use for the gift cards.
    We got a $50 one to Bed Bath and Beyond from my Grandparents this year and we don't have that store in Sioux City. Julius doesn't really like shopping online from stores we rarely go to because he likes to see the stuff in person. I guess we'll be making a trip at some point to Sioux Falls... or is it Omaha... either way it is about an hour and a half away.

We still have most of our gift cards from our wedding sitting around too.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 29, 2013

I didn't sell mine through eBay. I Googled cash for gift card websites. I sold mine through www.abcgiftcards.com . You can sell cards worth as low as $10 on this site...other sites want the value to be at least $25.

I sold my other one through www.cardpool.com .

The process was so easy. You type in the GC store name, value, & # in the site & you can mail the card to them & within a few days, they'll mail you a check for the amount they stated they'd give you for it. You also have the option to get paid to your Paypal account.

18. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 29, 2013

Rather than sell your gift cards if they aren't wanted think of donating them to a senior center. They can be used as prizes when bingo is played. The seniors are thrilled to win a gift card.

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2013

That's a great idea, janlee. I've also donated some to a women's shelter.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 30, 2013

Very nice idea! :thumb: