Ever meet a micro-manager who......

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ecteach, Apr 28, 2020.

1. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Apr 28, 2020

doesn't have the time to mircro-manage? Y'all, it's pitiful. Makes (him/herself) look incompetent each week.
    Hope y'all are all doing well.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 29, 2020

I might have met one LOL
    Can you give some examples?

4. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

May 1, 2020

For example--
    Says-I want to check this and that before it's sent out or posted. But, then never ever gets around to checking it.
    Sends another email to everyone-Do not post stuff until I check it. Then, still never checks it. I get it--people are busy. So, just let us do our jobs.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 1, 2020

I had one like that one year. She said nothing can be sent home to any parents unless it is translated into Spanish first. (About 20% of our school were Spanish-speakers, so I get it.) So I'd submit it to be translated, and the translater said I'm not allowed to translate anything unless its signed-off by the principal. Well, it would take at least a week for the principal to get around to signing-off in it, and then there was at least a 4-5 day backlog for things being translated, so by the time you got it, it was almost 2 weeks later, and whatever the note was you were sending home had already happened, or been dealt with. The result -- no teacher in the entire school could send any correspondence home.. ever. It was ridiculous.

And then of course, the principal would complain that we didn't have a sufficient number of home communications. Hello? You made it impossible...

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 1, 2020

How long did she last in her position?

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 1, 2020

I'm laughing. You know why? She won principal of the year for the district! I kid you not..

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 1, 2020

Once had a P that required us to hand in lesson plans 2 weeks ahead of time and we couldn't use those plans before she checked them. Of course, we usually didn't get them back until the Friday before we were to use them and they always had corrections to be made.
    She didn't have a home life (in spite of her 4 children) so were to submit corrections over the weekend and then she would finally give the plans back Mon morning. So, every Mon am we were expected to teach those corrected plans.

Good thing about that was she was so busy micro managing everything else in the school that she never visited classrooms and, therefore, never knew that we were teaching what we needed to and never used the submitted plans. We used the ones we prepared and never sent in.

Always wondered why someone so clueless and stupid made it into administration.

9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

May 1, 2020

Hahahaha! How?!

10. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

May 1, 2020

This post is chock full of truth.

stargirl likes this.
  11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 2, 2020

I had a principal who would do this. It felt like she would try to find something wrong with it, too. Like, she would circle a comma that was totally appropriate to use and make me remove it. She was intent on putting me in my place in every way. I got out of there quickly. (Don't get me wrong, I totally make mistakes, and if I'm sending home an important letter I'll get a coworker to glance over it, and I'll happily look at notes/syllabi for other coworkers. But there's no need to remove or add commas, especially if that means it's going to take you so long to be able to send anything home that we had to turn in our weekly letters the week before they went home on a Friday.)

We also weren't allowed to make our own copies, so we had to turn them in two weeks ahead of time. And we only got a box of copy paper a year. One year there was a huge party because they found some extra money and each grade level got an extra box of paper, so 2-3 reams per teacher.

12. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

May 9, 2020

Sounds horrible! (Rolls eyes)

13. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 10, 2020

This reminds me of a narcissistic nutcase I worked for at one point. She would frequently rifle through what came out on the printer, which was in front of her office. Around Halloween, she found a class newsletter that said there wouldn't be any school Halloween parties (her decision, of course- wouldn't want that one hour of instructional time to be wasted). Apparently she didn't like that and thought if it just wasn't mentioned no parent would think to ask. :rolleyes: So then she decided that we needed to send our class newsletters to her for approval. After about 2 months of that (and clearly struggling to keep up with it) she stated that class newsletters wasted paper and we were no longer to send them home. When asked if we could email them, she said no because that wasn't equitable to families who don't have email.

This was really just the tiniest tip of the iceberg. Incompetent doesn't even begin to describe it. She did eventually get fired, but somehow managed to last 3 years first. I got out after the first year but kept in touch with some teammates that were still there. Luckily I've liked the other 3 principals I've worked for.

14. Guitart

Guitart Comrade

May 10, 2020

I do not have bad micro-mgmt P stories. My last I.T. mgr was a terrible micro manager.
    His favorite question was, "Are you sure?"
    He made everyone doubt their abilities. He second guessed everyone's evaluation of software, hardware, and recommendations. Even though we were all hired for our experience and expertise, we were not allowed to make decisions. He would rather outsource the jobs to an I.T. company while we assisted. Everything about him was like the "character everyone loves to hate" in a sitcom, but it isn't funny when you live that life.
    Like some of these stories, he wasn't weeded out. He was promoted to an executive VP! Which means nothing in banking. Throw a stone at any bank building, you'll hit a VP.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 11, 2020

We had a P who would insist we left the lesson plans for the next day on our desk when we left for the day. She made the school secretary go to each classroom to check. Well, one day I forgot, and drove back to school to leave it on my desk. As I was going down the hall I saw the secretary and she said I got you checked off! Great lesson plans! LOL She must have just checked everyone's name off and not checked because even SHE thought it was a stupid thing to do!!

tigger88 likes this.