Ever lose your cool with a parent?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Moldy Peach, Sep 24, 2012.

1. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 27, 2012

I agree with the last few posts. I originally started coming here because it's very useful for prepping for interviews, and it looked like a welcoming community. This definitely doesn't apply to everyone, but it seems like people just aren't very friendly here and it's not really worth it. There have been many times where I have something to add or ask but I don't bother because of the snarky responses that posters seem to get. Even when people are asking for advice or expressing a non-controversial opinion about something silly, there are always a few that are quick to jump on their back. I tried, but every other thread seems to turn ugly (starting from my very first postings) and there's not much of a point to it. I'll be sticking to the job stuff when I need it, but I think I might just give up on general participation for fun. Best of luck, all.

2. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 27, 2012

I am sorry if I came off snarky...I wasn't try to be that way. Part of me wanted to just not respond, but I didn't want anyone else to be blamed for my comments.

Atoz, you sometimes seem to be picking a fight. That might not be what you mean, but that is how it reads.

3. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Sep 27, 2012

mrachelle87, I don't think you were snarky, and I understood what you meant.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 27, 2012

I'm with mrachelle here. Behaving well enough to keep the good opinion of one's social peers or adults whom one respects is doable and simply prudent, but living up to an adored-and-adoring four-year-old's belief in one as a Paragon Of Virtue sets a much higher standard, and a less self-interested one at that.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 27, 2012

I often feel like comments I make here or posts I make asking for help are either ignored or responded to in a negative way as if I'm either stupid for asking the question or as if I was trying to start something when I wasn't. Then, the part that gets me, is that I inevitably get dozens of PMs saying, "Oh don't mind so-and-so, he/she is just like that." Often, I get PMs from "so-and-so" complaining about the behavior of other posters. I think we either need to get over the need to be nice to people all the time, or go back to the (in my opinion overly) heavily modified state when I first joined.

I also think we need to accept that, as we've learned in this thread, we perform and are nice to everyone all day long in our real lives, so maybe some of us save the snark for the Internet. It has to come out somewhere, and better on an anonymous forum that in the school parking lot!

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 27, 2012

I am not willing to accept that people are too drained to be nice online.

7. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Sep 27, 2012

In response to the original topic...I've never had a confrontation with a parent, though part of me admires you for flipping one off :D. On another note, we can't control what other people post, but we can ignore/choose not to comment on certain posts.