Ever have one of these moments?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by applecore, Aug 14, 2010.

1. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 14, 2010

So I found this really cool idea someone here shared (sorry I can't remember who!) about making speech bubbles with the minutes by 5's to put on around the classroom clock. I made them with the kind that it looks like the numbers on the clock would be talking...minute hand on the 3 would say "15...quarter after", and so on.

I finally got to work so I could print my oh-so-proud numbers on colored paper, then I laminated them, and proceeded to cut them out only to find...

Wait for it...

That the numbers are backwards for about 4 numbers on the clock. You know, what should be 35 is 53 and what should be 45 is 54....

Apprently I really need to proof read stuff I'm going to display in my classroom BEFORE I print, or wait unitl the sun is up and I've had 2 cups of coffe to clear up any dyslexic typing errors that look really neat at 4am!

Of course I'm OCD....so guess what I'm going to do? Yep, gotta go fix it. I'm feeling so bad because of the amount of time and materials I used to create these little beauties with our material budget slashed big time this year. But I can't leave it :(

Ever do something like that, and willing to admit it?

3. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Aug 14, 2010

Oh yes, I have made plenty of mistakes similar to that. It is usually on worksheets I have created for my class to use. Believe me, 5th graders are only so ready to let you know when you have made a mistake. :)

4. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 15, 2010

Aren't they though? LOL. I think my 3rd graders last year were put on earth to do the same. I had to come up with some clever quip such as "Oh, good! You were paying attention!"

5. Miz_Aich

Miz_Aich Rookie

Aug 15, 2010

I constantly flub up worksheets that I have made - and of course don't realize it until I've printed a class set of copies. A couple of years ago, I decided to start making the blanket statement during the first week of school that any student who found a typo in the directions of a worksheet would get a prize. On a positive note - I have more students reading the directions VERY CAREFULLY now, which means more students following directions!

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2010

I do same, Miz_Aich. It's amazing how carefully students will read when there's the possibility of a gummy bear!

7. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 15, 2010

Aaahh....teaching students to proof read. Very smart!