Ever cry during read alouds in front of your class!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by heavens54, Jan 26, 2011.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jan 26, 2011

We are towards the end of Island of the Blue Dolphins. Don't want to spoil it, but suffice it to say that there is a sad moment and it gets descriptive. I tried to hold back the tears once, twice and then a third time. Finally I had to ask a student to come up and continue reading so that I could get a tissue. OMG. In front of students? Just couldn't stop. I guess the lesson is to read ahead in privacy, right???

3. meglucy

meglucy Companion

Jan 26, 2011

Yes! I got choked up most recently after reading a book about MLK and a few days before that it was when I told the story of a young boy who'd been discriminated against in the 50s. You're not alone.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2011

Even though I never read anything to students that I haven't read first, it doesn't stop me from crying. There are 2 books that are favourites of mine to read aloud (one I've read more than 5 times) and I still can't get through certain sections. I don't think that there is anything wrong with it; by showing how moved we can be, it gives our students permission to feel strongly about a book as well.

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2011

I always get choked up when Charlotte dies.

I shocked myself when I got teary reading the ending on Frindle recently.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 27, 2011

I read Where the Red Fern Grows to one class and definitely got teary. I also used to read Love You Forever to them. You know, now that I think of it, there are several books that I have teared up on. With Red Fer I warned them ahead of time that it was one of my all-time favorite books, but parts of it made me sad.
    My principal told me a story once about reading Stone Fox to her class. She had not read it before. She said as she was reading, she was skimming forward to make sure she was using the right voice, saw the ending, and froze. All she could think of was reading that to her first graders who were all on pins and needles. She got choked up and finally told that it had surprised her and that the ending was very sad. She warns us often to read the books first! lol

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 27, 2011

I almost have twice. Once was a book and I can't even remember the name of it, I think it was "Once We Found You" about the process of adopting a dog from a shelter. I was recording it on tape for the kids' listening center and had to stop the tape a couple of times and compose myself.

The other was reading The Journey of Edward Tulane-which was a suggestion from someone on here-I hadn't read it before. Loved it! I think the reaction was a combination of being a joyful sad for the ending and being sad sad that the story was over.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jan 27, 2011

I teach high school and I read about 5 "read-alouds" per year. The Story of Ruby Bridges makes me cry EVERY year. I have read that book to my students for about 6 years and it makes me cry every time. I sometimes even tear up when I am teaching my content area - D-Day describing the bravery of the young men storming those beaches, Bataan Death March, slavery, the list goes on and on . . . . My kids just know, thats Mrs IN :)

9. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jan 27, 2011

We read Island of the Blue Dolphins every year and I always get teary. What really gets me is Patty Reed's Doll when Patty is taken back to the lake camp and separated from her mother. As the rescuer is carrying her back, Patty turns and says to her mother, "If you never see me again, do the best you can."

10. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jan 27, 2011

I am currently reading Stone Fox to my class. Yesterday I had to read 3 chapters as they would not let me stop. I know that several of them will tear up, as well as me, at the end. This book is one of my all time favorites.

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2011

I think it is perfectly normal and appropriate for teachers to laugh, chuckle, cry, etc when reading. The students need to see that the books affect us just as they should them. They also tend to enjoy it more.

Where the Red Fern Grows always gets me.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2011

You're only human, it's OK to show that to the kids.

But ALWASY READ AHEAD. Every single time. Before you decide for sure what books or stories you'll be covering.

It can save you a world of troubles.

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 27, 2011

In my Teaching Reading class in college, our professor was reading LOVE YOU FOREVER and the whole class was bawling, sniffling, snubbing by the end of it... LOL.

14. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jan 27, 2011

It doesn't matter how many time I read The Story of Ruby Bridges, I am going to cry when I read it. Especially when I read the part where 6 year old Ruby prays for all the people protesting and hating that she going to the "white school"

Please, God, try to forgive those people.
    Because even if they say those bad things,
    They don’t know what they’re doing.
    So You could forgive them,
    Just like You did those folks a long time ago
    When they said terrible things about You.

It makes me cry everytime, not matter how many time I read it

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 27, 2011

During sustained silent reading I often will read, too. I am working my way through many of the books that I haven't read before. Last year I read A Taste of Blackberries. I had never read it before and I was openly crying during it. It was a really good book, though.

16. greengables

greengables Rookie

Jan 27, 2011

Love You Forever gets me EVERY time. My son's in his 20s now and I've been reading it since he was a baby! :blush:

17. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Jan 27, 2011

Yes! In 5th grade, we read Freak the Mighty and it doesn't matter how many times I've read it, I always cry at the end. Many of my students do too!

18. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jan 27, 2011

Since I try to get students to really get involved with the books they read, they do need to see me get emotional about a story.

I cried in class while reading Love That Dog by Sharon Creech. I haven't read it yet this year, but I'll cry again.

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2011

I've been "emotional", but able to hold back the tears...

20. daisyfoot

daisyfoot Rookie

Jan 27, 2011

I used to teach a combined 5th/6th class. One year my 6th graders asked me to read The Westing Game again, even though they had heard it the year before. When I got to the end and my voice cracked just a tiny bit, two 6th graders jumped up, grabbed tissues, and handed them to me. I cried all the time! But my kids loved it :rolleyes: I now teach Kindergarten and miss reading some of my favorite chapter books.

21. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jan 27, 2011

There's a story in our reading series "When I am Old With You", that I always tear up on, and I just warn the kids ahead of time, and tell them why. There's a part where the grandpa is giving the little girl a tractor ride, and I can't get past that part, because it reminds me of my grandfather, and how he used to give me tractor rides. It's a great way to teach them about connecting text to themselves...but I need the tissue box right next to me when I read it with them!

22. 123456now

123456now Rookie

Jan 27, 2011

When I was in sixth grade, our teacher read Where the Red Fern Grows. I was so shocked and went home and told my mother, "Can you believe she DIDN'T cry when she read it? What is wrong with her?!! Has she no heart?!!"

23. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2011

Yes, I hear what you are saying. I don't mind tearing up, but not being able to continue to read, that was the embarassing part.

I did read this book about 40 years ago when I was in 6th grade. The part about Rontu just got to me. He was her buddy.

Now I can't decide what to read next...

24. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2011

Last year I had to teach the poem Forgive My Guilt to two class periods. And, of course, one has to read a poem over and over again. I chocked up every time I read about the birds with broken wings left behind by their flock and their painful cries. I really don't like reading the poem, but I think my reaction helped my students see how one can be moved by a poem. I may have to teach it again since it's such a great example of choices, consequences and lessons learned. But I dread experiencing it again.

25. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2011

About 5 years ago, I gave one of my favourite books to my teaching partner to read to his class. He's 6'3", has a loud voice and is always laughing; he is also the kindest, most sensitive man I have ever met. When he got to the end of the book, he to have one of his students take over because he couldn't continue.

26. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 29, 2011

Heck, I get choked up when I am telling my class how much they mean to me! And yes, I cry when reading books. Like another posters said, I believe in the kids seeing that I am human.
    Last year I had a student tell me that they wanted me because I always cry at the 5th grade awards assembly! Oh...that is a cry fest for me!

27. ally06

ally06 Companion

Jan 29, 2011

Yep, I choke up very easily and there are some very touching picture books around! The little kids don't tend to notice too much when my voice cracks and I have to have a long pause to compose myself!

28. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Jan 29, 2011

I remember reading this last year and trying to not think about the words while I read them because I am SUCH a crybaby. I did not cry and was relieve because once I start crying, I CAN'T stop! I cried the last day of school last year and they cried too and I could not stop. It just kept coming out. It was so lame and I hate it when I do that. A few minutes, yeah, fine...but 30! UGH!

I'm the same way with laughing...it is so hard to stop once I start!:blush:

29. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Jan 29, 2011

Another reason I try so hard to fight back tears is because, usually, there are kids who DON'T find the book sad and will LAUGH at me. Then, of course, I'll be ticked off at their insensitivity...which they can't help it, I guess, if they don't think something is sad enough to cry over. There is nothing like crying and hearing giggling in your audience...REALLY messes up the whole bittersweet mood!

30. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2011

We read Bridge to Terabithia as a novel study when I taught 5th grade. I purposely read the "sad" chapter to them, since I wanted them to be able to focus on the emotions, rather than the reading the words. Most of us were quite choked up.

I've also come close on a few picture books in 3rd grade. It sometimes surprises me as to what gets me (even after reading them beforehand, things often touch me more when reading to the kids and watching their reactions).

(And to whoever mentioned Frindle, that one came close to getting me last year...)

31. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jan 30, 2011

I am going to use this scene as a lesson for them. I am going to copy off those pages and we'll analyze how the author made me cry and the words that he used to make the scene so sad and real. Just hope I can get through that. I was caught off guard by the power of his descriptions, so simple yet profound...

32. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jan 30, 2011

I cried the first couple years I read Charlotte's Web to my class, and so did a few of my students. I cried when I read a story about a grandfather dying, which was not long after my own grandfather passed away. (I always get a few criers with that book - but this year it wasn't me!) I tell my students that if a book can make you cry it's a sign of a good author! So... it's good to cry! :)

33. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Jan 30, 2011

Thank You Mr. Falker.

ETA: Also, whenever I read Runaway Bunny and Someday to my daughters. Especially Someday.

34. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jan 30, 2011

A bunch of years ago, I was subbing in 1st and the teacher left Love You Forever as a read aloud after lunch. Never occurred to me to read it ahead.

Needless to say, in my end of day remarks, I asked for a warning label next time!

Another book I used to read aloud was Faithful Elephants. Cried every time.

35. mrsc_teaches

mrsc_teaches Companion

Jan 30, 2011

Every time every year I read this story. I also just read a story about MLK that got me choked up. Greg and Steve do a song called, "A Man Named King" it gets me choked up too especially when my K's start to sing along.

36. Ms.R.82

Ms.R.82 Rookie

Feb 2, 2011

When I was in 3rd grade and my dog had died, my mom bought me I'll Always Love You by Hans Wilhelm to help me cope. To this day, it is still one of my favorites and still makes me tear up. I had to read it to my class this year as part of a lesson where students compare/contrast (double bubble map time) this story with Open Court's Rugby and Rosie. I did tear up, but it was the first time I did not cry. Still - love this book.