Ever Became Good Friends w/ Someone Who Was Somewhat Your Superior?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 10, 2014

My internship mentor for my grad school, who's not much older than me, is a very kind, genuine, & overall super lady, one of those rare types of people you may only meet once or twice in life. I only would have worked w/ her for a short time (a month), then we'll never see each other again, but I don't want that! I'd love to stay in touch & at least meet up with her from time to time to go to lunch, meet at the gym, go walking, etc. & hopefully have a great friendship. We have a nice rapport. She's not my boss. I'm not getting paid for this internship. She doesn't work at the grad school I'm at. She's a totally separate person from my school site.

How many of you have successfully become close friends w/ someone who was somewhat your superior (or even your direct boss) & did it turn out well/is it lasting well?

3. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2014

Well he's not my principal. But the other school is getting a new principal this year and I'm friends with him and his wife. So much that I attend their kids games, go out to dinner, help them move, and watch their animals when they go out of town. I do want to transfer to his school, that got shot down for this year. Maybe next.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 10, 2014

txmomteacher2, just out of curiosity, were you friends way back before his current position OR did you recently start becoming friends after he was already a P?

(I think it's quite different when you've been friends w/ someone way back when as opposed to trying to start being friends when they hold a high position that directly affects you.)

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 10, 2014

When I was an undergrad, I worked at the university library. My supervisor was not much older than me and we really clicked. We are very close friends.We were even roommates for awhile. We now live across the state from each other, but stay in touch via Facebook.

6. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2014

His wife taught at my school this past year. He was sorta the VP at the other school. He was brought in to help the old p because she had health issues. She has since retired and now he is the principal. So I guess the answer to your question is yes, we were friends before he was named the principal. They just moved to our district this past year , but really what started our friendship is they were from a town that my in laws lived. And one of my step sister in laws is a teacher. Small town so knew everyone.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 10, 2014

I have become very close friends with a couple of my professors and one of my teachers. Does that count?

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 10, 2014

Some of my friends are my former students, student teachers, and interns.

9. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jul 10, 2014

One of my best friends started out as my mentor. I was her intern for a year and she's now my team leader. She's not technically a "boss", but she definitely has pull regarding my courses.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 10, 2014

Great stories guys! :)

Sure does Caesar!

11. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2014

I'm friends with one of my grad school profs. In fact, we're having lunch tomorrow!

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 10, 2014

I took Spanish at the local community college this past spring. My professor, who was amazing by the way is my age (maybe 2 years younger), has the same education as me (Masters) and also teaches high school Spanish besides his college courses.
    He knew I was also a teacher. We totally hit it off, after class we often walked to our cars together, we talked about our teaching experiences, our students, challenges, opportunities and ways to get into teaching college courses.
    He was always very professional and looked at me as equal. It was amazing how we would keep it as student / professor in the classroom, and after as teacher / teacher, as friends.
    We mutually respect each other. I found him on FB, friended him, he accepted. We often like and comment each other's pictures / posts.

He has never treated me any differently than other students (didn't have to, I'm a language geek, I had 97 % on my own), and I always showed him the respect in the classroom.
    It worked out well, even better I think I've found a good friend. He won't be my professor next semester, by maybe in the spring for Spanish 3. We never hung out, and never will, don't have each others' phone number, because he's married and we respect that. But oh, boy, he's very good looking lol.

13. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2014

I'm friends with one of the APs. If she wasn't my direct boss, we'd definitely be lunch-and-shopping buddies. I'm also very good friends with my former department chair.

14. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2014

I took a class from someone, we later became friends, she hired me but then moved away. When she returned, we became friends, but then she became my principal. It was awkward because stuff she wanted to discuss with me in the past, she now just expected me to do and not question or discuss. It frustrated her that I wouldn't always support everything she did just because we were friends. It frustrated me because I was used to the dialogue and she wasn't really a very good principal. She has just retired and is reaching out to be friends again. We will see.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 11, 2014

An acquaintance of mine (not same person I was talking about in the OP), who I've known since we took a couple grad courses together, just got a P position, but I'm afraid she'll never be my boss because: A) I'm no longer at the district & 2) even if I still was, it's a slim chance that we'd see each other since we probably wouldn't be at the same school(s).

Yes, scmom, when your friend becomes your boss, the relationship can definitely change, unless both parties can remain professional & respectful when it's work time & switch gears when they're off the clock.