Evaluations

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachCreateInspire, Nov 23, 2019.

1. TeachCreateInspire

TeachCreateInspire Rookie

Nov 23, 2019

I am a first year teacher, and I am having my first evaluation the day we come back from Thanksgiving break. I am just curious what I should expect, and what exactly does an evaluation effect? I see and hear veteran teachers at my school getting overwhelmed by it and that makes me nervous. I teach at an inner city school, so behavior is rough.. any advice? We use the Marzano Evaluation Model, by the way.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Nov 23, 2019

I am not sure about Marzano, but being in an inner city school w/ rough behavior, I'd focus on behavior 1st as a new teacher.
    Maybe bring a big box or bag to school that day. When the kids ask what's in it, tell them you'll let them know after they've behaved for a certain amount of time. :) ( You can throw a fun activity in there or something.)
    Then find something easy for you depending upon what you teach and plan on doing when he comes in...:) If you haven't already told him what you'll be teaching.
    I always told the kids that I was bragging about what a good class they were in reading, math, or whatever. Then I'd say: The P was surprised and wanted to see how well they could do it. It works with a lot of kids. K-5 anyways.....even some wild ones want to show off what they can do......It probably wouldn't work in grades 6-12. IDK.....Keep it simple.
    Good luck!