Evaluations/Portfolios etc!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CindyBlue, Mar 26, 2012.

1. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Mar 26, 2012

Our school has gone to a portfolio and presentation-type evaluation for teachers. Teachers have to make a 30 minute presentation to a panel that includes people from outside the school (i.e., in the community.) The presentation needs to include classes, workshops, etc, extra-curriculars, student work, and student improvements over the course of a year or semester, updates/modernizations teachers have brought to the classroom, a short film or Powerpoint showing what they do in the classroom, email correspondence between teachers and parents showing positive results,comments, etc.
    I'm not sure how this shows good teaching...just people who are good at making presentations. Has anyone had to do this? Any advice or ideas?

3. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Mar 26, 2012

I would never share an email between myself and a parent. As a parent I would be furious if you shared my email regarding my child to outsiders. Wouldn't sharing student work and progress be wrong as well?
    Also, what if you haven't taken any classes or workshops lately? For me those things tend to come in waves.

I think this form of evaluation is ridiculous!

4. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Mar 26, 2012

I agree that it doesn't exactly demonstrate good teaching. I like the idea of a community presentation just to let people know what's going on at school (transparency), but how exactly are you going to be judged? Are people going to fill out evaluation forms? Provide comments? Who is ultimately responsible for making a decision about your efficacy as a teacher?

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2012

Ugh that sounds like student teaching! One reason I was thrilled to be done with college was the thought of never having to make another stupid portfolio. We had to make something similar to what you describe every semester and it was so much work. Shouldn't you be busy teaching instead? I suspect the people that "slack off" in the classroom will be the same people that have all the extra time to put in to making a stellar portfolio...

6. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Mar 27, 2012

WOW!!
    That will just open teachers up to be judged in other ways. Heaven forbid someone has a typo, or gets tongue tied during their presentation. There's no way to please an entire "community" as they all expect different things in different ways. Good luck

7. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Mar 27, 2012

I'm relieved to hear that some other teachers feel the same way about this as I do. I'm frustrated by the amount of time it will take to build a portfolio and presentation while I'm trying to meet standards and teach all the material I'm supposed to teach. I will be able to make it work somehow, because I've always just stuck my nose to the grindstone and done it...but I'm particularly thinking about some of the teachers here who are great teachers, but technologically not too advanced (I'm not either, but I'm better than some of them :) ) Plus - some of these great teachers are coaching - when are they supposed to be able to find time to do this? This method of teacher evaluation means more time spent on administrative tasks, meaning, since there are only so many hours in a day, more time away from kids - helping them, planning interesting lessons, creating good assessments...
    sigh...
    Anyone ever done this type of eval? Anything I should be doing to prepare?

8. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Mar 27, 2012

Yeah, more nonsense. I'll again make my futile plea that we shut down all the departments of ed, both governmental and academic, which are the breeding grounds of this sort of crap. (Can I say "crap"?)

Ah, what a lovely sunny day, meanwhile!

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 27, 2012

Ridiculous. I don't run down to the insurance agency to evaluate my agent, or sit and watch my grocery store checker do their job. Why should people who have no training or insight into a school be able to evaluate what I do as a teacher? I don't mind the idea of a portfolio or presentation, but it better be to a group of my peers, and people who GET PAID to evaluate me.

10. applecore

applecore Devotee

Mar 28, 2012

Wow, that's deep!

We have a similar evaluation system where we will have to show artifacts with writing yearly goals to justify what we did to show growth and development in our professional job; but only our P sees it.

11. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Mar 29, 2012

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2012

You know, if they keep this sort of stuff up, they really will have a teacher shortage.

13. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Mar 29, 2012

Yep. This reminds me of casting for fish. You know they are there. You just can't see them.

14. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Mar 29, 2012

...and pretty soon there simply won't be any fish left in the teaching pond...they will all have been stunned and driven out...sigh...