Eval

Discussion in 'General Education' started by abcd, Dec 21, 2017.

1. abcd

abcd Rookie

Dec 21, 2017

Hi! I've been working in this district for a few months and saw my first evaluation score (2.52). I took photos during the lesson and the lesson went very well. How should I negotiate it. As per procedure whom should I contact. How do you manage a bad evaluation. Please help me

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 21, 2017

Do you have a union? If so, talk with your rep. before signing it.

What were the issues that were discussed in the evaluation? Do you think they were legit?

4. abcd

abcd Rookie

Dec 22, 2017

I teach esl. Since the ESL supervisor has been on leave, the ELA supervisor just met with me for a few min On Friday. I told her what I would teach and emailed my lesson plan to her and my principal asking if it was ok. They didn't respond. On Monday she came during the scheduled period. Then on Wed it was a half day and we have xmas break for approx. two weeks. After coming home I saw that the ELA supervisor posted a negative evaluation on myl earning plan. I emailed my union reps and they haven' t responded.
    The lesson actually went very well. I adhered to all of the standards, used a variety of methods, visuals, took photos and have them as proof. The student answered and wrote all of the answers with 100% accuracy. Its been written that I didn't use the district materials and resources. The school created a user ID and pwd for one of their websites for me just one or two days prior to the observation and still haven't trained me about it. I've been given a basic score in lesson planning and instruction but the lesson plan was very good, the instruction was clear, all of the activities were completed on time, the students was assessed formatively and formally throughout the lesson and the fact that she demonstrated 100% accuracy in comprehension of the material proves that it was very effective.
    I hope there isn't a timeframe to object to the evaluation. We have xmas break till January 2nd. If my union reps don't respond whom should I contact? Should I contact the ELA supervisor and have a word with her alone? Should I go the education association by myself?

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Dec 22, 2017

I'm sorry. I'm currently dealing with my first negative evaluation ever. My current strategies is simply examining the comments and what I'm doing in my classroom.

6. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Dec 22, 2017

Did they tell you (in writing) anywhere the date you need to respond by? It is probably after your break. I would have the written response typed up and ready and have your union rep read it and approve it as soon as they are available (I'm guessing that will be after your break, but maybe email them before then if you can) In your written response mention all of the issues you state in this posting - about timelines not met for trainings, and resources not available - also state evidence that lesson met or exceeded goals, if that is available to you. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this over your holiday break. That is lousy of the admin to do to you. Don't agree to ANY of the negative in writing. Even if you do feel that there are areas you need to improve, don't give them that in writing. You only sign if the signature means that you see it, not that you agree to it. Again, your district union folks will know more than I, so don't feel you need to rush an answer without their input.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2017

Im not quite sure what you think your union would do. Admin generally wouldnt respond to your initial lesson plan. Was your lesson perhaps too easy? Im not sure why you were taking photos during the lesson. Why were you feeling you needed ‘proof’ ?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  8. JimG

JimG Comrade

Dec 22, 2017

2.52 out of what?

9. abcd

abcd Rookie

Dec 22, 2017

2.52 out of 4. The lesson wasn't too easy. I had been told to take photos before the lesson by other teachers at the beginning of the year itself. They said teachers always do it if they want to discuss their evaluation

10. JimG

JimG Comrade

Dec 22, 2017

I would start by conferencing with the evaluator for clarification on your marks. Going immediately outside the chain of command could paint a target on your back.

11. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 22, 2017

I think it depends on your union (or in some cases, lack of union). Our union encourages us to contact them if we receive any negative eval (anything below a 3.00 on the 4.00 scale), and that they will even sit in on the post-conference if needed. I've never had to do that, but it wouldn't always be seen as breaking chain of command.

12. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Dec 23, 2017

I would try to find another school next year. It doesn't seem as if you have a very supportive admin if he isn't replying to your emails. The environment at your school seems terrible, also. I wonder if your ESL supervisor may be attempting to quit, since you mentioned she is on leave.
    :)

13. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 26, 2017

I’m not surprised the admin didn’t respond to the email. They are supposed to be objective. If they said “looks great”, how could they objectively assess the planning portion?

Your response time will be in business days. I think it’s usually just by the post meeting. Wait to hear from your union rep. Contact them again first day back in case the email got burried. In person if possible.

14. abcd

abcd Rookie

Dec 27, 2017

Will they see me in a bad light? Sometimes, people assume things based on what they hear. I'm new in the district nobody has seen me teaching except for the recent observation.
    The truth is that the school didn't give me any materials and resources. I had to point it out to the edu assoc. That created a little bit of hostility initially. I managed to begin teaching with my resources. The principal observed me a week b4 the ELA sup did and said that the school would create a user id and pwd for a online website that the students and teachers use. Then a week later they created it for me but still haven't shown me how to use it. The next day the ELA sup observed me. She has written that it didn't use district approved materials. The truth is that I wasn't given access to them. She's written that I assessed the student sporadically but her comments prove that I assessed her verbally throughout the guided practice and formally during the independent practice as well as closure. I think I deserve a distinguished score in the assessment category. She's written something about the objectives. The objectives were accurate, aligned to WIDA standards and relevant to the lesson and students requirements.

15. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 27, 2017

It doesn’t paint you in the best light that it took you months to explain that you needed access to the materials. Yea they dropped the ball, but the ball could still roll over you. Was your objective posted? A new big one is are students aware of what their work should look like? Are they self assesing? These could be things they are looking for.

16. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 27, 2017

I don’t think you should get too hung up on the fact that they didn’t train you on the website. It is fairly common to expect teachers to figure out their resources on their own, whether it’s a website or a textbook. Spend some time over the break familiarizing yourself with the website so you are ready to use it when you return to school.

17. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 27, 2017

I also just want to say, we’ve all had a bad eval. Just make sure you accuratly assess went went well and what didn’t.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2017

Nope. We all haven't had a bad evaluation.

a2z likes this.
  19. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 27, 2017

Your telling me no one has pointed out one thing you can do better? I find stuff I can do better regularly.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2017

We follow up our observations with a conversation. In the write up, I've had questions/comments like : 'Let's talk about NM(student)". We talk...in the example I gave, the student was high maintenance kind of kiddo and the admin just was curious how things were going....so no, I wouldn't consider that a 'bad' eval. I'm a reflective practioner. I rethink and redesign and re teach...often on the fly. But I've never had what most would consider a bad evaluation.

AlwaysAttend and a2z like this.
  21. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Dec 27, 2017

I will be frank with you and say that I foresee trouble on the horizon. My experience with evaluations tells me that "Needs Improvement" (or whatever they call it where you are) is generally reserved for those administration wants to drive from the district. I could be wrong; your district may have an unwritten policy guiding low scores for new employees. I've met those administrators who believed wholeheartedly that new teachers could never measure beyond "average." Not the sharpest knives in the drawer, but they are out there, regardless.

If things go badly, the greater question is whether or not you allow yourself to be defined by low-minded incompetents. My advice is to avoid being someone's scapegoat and leave inadequacy to rot in its own filth.

Start looking in earnest for something better than were you are now.

22. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 27, 2017

Doesn't it depend on how the evaluation is viewed? If it is viewed on the effectiveness and quality for the position (having nothing to do with years of experience) a new teacher would most likely range on the lower end of the scale since the top means that the position is filled with a person who does everything right. If the evaluation is viewed as evaluating the person based on years of experience, I can see a new teacher getting a top review if they are exceptional for a first year.

Given that all new year teachers in OP's case are getting low evaluations, maybe this is the new norm. Who knows, there may be a new policy in the district to grow teachers and it requires evals that indicate the help is needed to get extra staff or coaches to come in. Behind the scenes in administration is a world of its own.

23. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 27, 2017

I’m assuming at this point everyone uses rubrics. Years of service wouldn’t factor in on a rubric.

24. a2z

a2z Maven

Dec 27, 2017

Then it wouldn't be surprising if a new teacher rarely received above an average rating.

25. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 27, 2017

Correct. Admin tells everyone to be mainly average (3), reach into 4, and if there’s something under 3, to bring it up to 3.

26. abcd

abcd Rookie

Dec 28, 2017

Given that all new year teachers in OP's case are getting low evaluations,
    What is OP's case?