Ethics Question

Discussion in 'College' started by TifasRevenge, Mar 11, 2010.

1. TifasRevenge

TifasRevenge New Member

Mar 11, 2010

I'm new to these forums, but I have been teaching at a vocational college for about 1.5 years. A major issue has come up in my college that really threw me for a loop.

Anyway, my school teaches classes every 10 weeks in what's called a "mod", or module. We offer Computer Networks, Computer Information Systems, and Computer Graphic Design. Students usually go through classes and pass 95% of the time, but when a student fails through my class, all pandemonium happens. It is harder to fail a student than it is to pass them, because the front office where I work will be on you like a hawk. I feel that the college does not care about whether the student learns or not, and that they will pass them regardless because all they want is the students' tuition.

Now, specifically, one student just came through my class, and did none of his work or labs at all in my class. All he did was take the midterm (Week 5) and final (Week 10), and didn't get very good grades on them either. His current score is 48%, failing. He has also been absent (unexcused) from my class 4 times out of 10 sessions.

So, I found out what was going on with this student... he was taking drugs, and on Week 8, he was arrested. I informed the college about this, and they removed him from my roster, so I thought that he was history. But get this though... he bailed out of jail on Week 10 (this week), and then got re-added to the roster after he explained his situation to the head dean of academics.

I was shocked and appalled by this, but I accepted it, and continued on with my job. I gave him his final, and he didn't score well on it. All of his work was due that same day, but none of it had been completed at all. My boss, who is the head of our department, decided with the dean to grant him a one-week extension because he was thrown in jail and could not make it to class on Week 9. This infuriated me!

Now, not only do I have to deal with a lazy, miserable student, but a criminal as well who beat the system. I voiced my opposition to this, and now I feel like quitting my job, because I feel that this is ethically and morally wrong. All the other students did all their work in class and showed up and were on time, so it's not fair to them, and it makes our school look very bad.

What should I do? Quit? I only have a B.A. degree, and it's difficult to find jobs in this economy... but I don't want to support a college that does stuff like this at all.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 11, 2010

Why do you say he beat the system? Didn't the system work? He was arrested, he went to jail.

For starters, it seems to me as though it's pretty much impossible for him to do well anyway, having failed the midterm and the final. If somehow he does pull it together, he won't do well.

But if he IS able to somehow learn ALL the material you've taught in 14 weeks, then doesn't he deserve to pass? You're not Santa with a Nice list and a Naughty list; you're a professional educator accessing who knows the material you've taught and who hasn't. I don't think the reason should come into play at all.

4. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Mar 12, 2010

Agree.

5. atomic

atomic Companion

Mar 26, 2010

He was just arrested, not convicted? Maybe he didn't do it.