Ethics in biology

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Nov 8, 2013.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2013

There's basically only 2 weeks left in class, and I have biology one day a week. I have enough time to finish about one section (in the book) for each class- 8th, 9th. I will still have one more class. I'm thinking in order to beef up an otherwise very skimpy exam, of using the last class to discuss ethics. And that way for the exam I can have them write a short essay about their opinion of ethics in biology. (right now for exams 9th grade we've covered speciation and in 8th briefly the marine biomes. We only had 3 weeks before this exam.)

But I don't know where to start or what to do. Just print out an article, discuss, etc? Or any other ideas for something to make this exam longer? I have to have an exam, can't replace it with a project or anything else. The exam has to be at least 50 points, 1 point per answer.

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 8, 2013

An article discussion sounds good to me.

If you have time to prepare them before the exam, maybe have them go into a computer lab (if you have one) and do some quick research into kid-friendly sites about ethics in science, and why it impacts society. They can just answer short questions if you're crunch for time.

4. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 8, 2013

I have been doing this with my year 9s (8th grade in your money) this week. we had two discussions. The first was on stem cell use to cure diseases such as altzheimers and also to repair neerve/spinal damage. Today we were discussing the ethics of cloning. most of the kids thought that cloning yourself to get new organs for transplant was a good idea! But then we started to consider what you would do with a clone in the 12 years or so it would take to grow large enough to be harvested. Things like where would it live? Would you bother teaching it to read/wite/speak etc. It got quite heated at times. I introduced them to the Brave New World book and we also watched a clip from The Island (which none of them had seen before)

5. physteach

physteach Companion

Nov 8, 2013

We showed Gattaca and had a discussion about that.