Ethical Job Searching

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsWK, Jul 26, 2008.

1. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 26, 2008

I know that we've talked about this in other threads before, but as an administrator in a year-round program, I am constantly amazed, when it comes to the end of the year, at the number of people who will skip out on the last week or two of their contract to start a new job. By not finishing their contract, they forfeit lots of things: their bonus, any accrued vacation & sick time that they would be paid out for, their reference, their eligibility for rehire, and in some extreme cases, they forfeit their benefits, such as the right to continue health coverage through COBRA.

As an administrator, I would respect a teacher who said to me, "I'd love to come work for your district, but I have a commitment to my current position through X/X/2008." I would be a little concerned about hiring someone who didn't work out their contract from school A, because I'd think "what will keep them from doing this to me?"

What do you think?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2008

I think you are right. I would much rather stick to my contract then possibly ruin my career by skipping out on it. Besides, there are teachers that do not have jobs. I know that the admin is going to pick the best fit for them, but surely there is more than one. Why not pick the candidate that does not have that contract hanging over their head?

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2008

Agreed. Why tarnish your career when you just need to do the job that you were hired to do.

5. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Jul 27, 2008

i agree that you finish what you started. my second year i taught at what i now believe to be one of the worst charters in the area :(; it would have been very easy to quit after the 1st week. but i wanted to finish the year b/c that's what i committed to doing.

i think that part of this problems stems from the fact that we live in a very me-me-me, I-I-I society. many people think of themselves........but no one else. although i agree that sometimes you HAVE to do this, i don't think it's a good idea to start burning bridges (especially early on in your career).

just wanted to add my two cents :).

Meri

6. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Jul 28, 2008

Totally agree! You should finish what you started.

7. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Jul 28, 2008

I agree that you should finish what you started, unless the situation is putting you in a position that is affecting your health.

I left last year after 9 weeks because of health concerns. The administration was allowing things to occur (threats and other abuse), that was causing me so much stress that I was having severe medical problems. When I resigned my position, it was not for another job, but for me.
    Now, I am trying desperately to find another teaching position. FYI, my medical problems ended the day I left that school.
    Everyone needs to do what is best for them. I stuck it out for nine weeks and I am proud of myself for that. I am not a quitter, I have worked in very rough schools before and lasted the year. The difference was the administration. At those schools, they were supportive of their staff. The last school I was at, there was no teacher support at all.
    Every situation is different and unique.
    If you are quitting just because a "better" job came along, I feel that is wrong. You should finish your contract.
    When it comes to your health, it is not worth it to stick it out. Even if I never teach again (God forbid), at least I will be able to see my children grow up.

8. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Jul 28, 2008

This is one of my beefs with the employers assuming that a person will not work out because of other factors....military spouse, student, young, old, etc.

we are all different and some of us, regardless of other factors, take our jobs seriously and our obligations seriously.....

I sure wish I could get a contract, I will hold on to it like a hungry baby does a bottle!! I seriously can understand grabbing opportunities but like you said, what is wrong with saying, Yes, I would love to join your team, but...

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 28, 2008

I believe that in certain situations, a teach might have to leave a position before the contract is over. I think that the reason has to be pretty **** good, but that should there be such a reason, the person should explain it to his or her Admins that it's just not about taking a new position, but because of a family, relocating, etc reason.

You really can't be upset with a person if they have to move because of health issues, family issues, etc.