ESY Structure

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by elleveeaych, Jun 16, 2014.

1. elleveeaych

elleveeaych Rookie

Jun 16, 2014

I'll be teaching an ESY program this year for k-3 students. I've been teaching self contained for middle school students for two years but have no experience with ESY. Has anyone taught one before or have an ideas about scheduling, structure etc? Thanks!

3. deefreddy

deefreddy Companion

Jun 16, 2014

For ESY, I tend to have a bit less structure and try to do something project based. I teach older students, so for instance a few years ago when the movie "Mr. Popper's Penguins" came out, we did a unit on the book. We read the book, we studied penguins, painted pictures of penguins, studied different geographical locations where penguins live, made snow cones, danced like penguins in PE, and then did a community-based outing to go see the movie. Every now and then, we have a "skills day" when we work on maintaining our IEP goals. Our ESY days are shorter than a regular school day, and our week is only 4 days long also.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2014

What are the disability levels of your students (mild, mod, severe?). I've taught ESY twice, once in mild/mod and once in SSN (signifcant support needs). I teach mild/mod. during the year, so that one was easy. We had 3 hours. I did a "morning meeting" for about 20 minutes, then guided reading for 60. I split the kids in half based on ability and one group worked with my para and one group worked with me, and then we switched after 30 minutes. Then we did snack/read aloud for about 15 minutes. After that we did math for 45 minutes (usually practicing computation skills with manipulatives and white boards). At the end we did a writing practice for about 20-25 minutes, and then recess for the last 15-20 minutes. It worked really well.

The year I was in SSN, I honestly had no idea what I was doing. I was so not qualified for that job, but I'm guessing since they hired me there were no other choices. The kids had goals that were things like "will show attention by maintaining an eye gaze for 5 seconds" and "will be able to hold a sitting position independently for 3 minutes." I still have no idea how you work on those things. It's certainly not like I could sit the kids all down and try to do regular lessons or anything. I had four assistants, but they were all regular classroom teachers or mild/mod. teachers like myself. We spent a lot of time getting toys out and trying to engage the kids with those, going outside, snack time took forever (most of the kids had to fed), and listening to music.