ESY Preschool-help!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by missjessica, May 19, 2011.

1. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

May 19, 2011

Hello everyone,
    I will be a new teacher next school year and have some questions. Just so you know a little about me, I am finishing a credential program in Mild/Moderate disabilities. I student taught in a K-1 SDC and a middle school ISP setting. I have one question.

1. I got a job as a summer school teacher in a preschool class for students with disabilities. It's only for 4 weeks, 3 days a week, and the students are there 3 hours per day. Perfect, huh? I think it will be a great way to ease into teaching. However...I don't know much about preschool. Does anyone have experience teaching sped students in preschool? What kind of activities are good to use with students? Any good techniques on getting and keeping their attention (I know it will be for short periods of time...haha)?

I appreciate any help you can give! :)

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 22, 2011

Provide a magnetic or velcro schedule that you can manipulate throughout the day so that students can visually see when it is time to transition and get ready to go home.

Start each day with something fun that parents can participate in and slowly leave each day without the kids noticing too much. A big part of the time will be helping the students to be away from their parents.

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 28, 2011

Hey, I just posted something similar in the preschool section and then noticed this, haha. I also just got a job for ESY preschool. My schedule is the exact same as yours only it's for 6 weeks. I also know very little about preschool and I'm looking for any input as well as to what kinds of activities or daily schedule we should follow. My kids have been at preschool all year and will be going to kinder next year.

One of my good friends from work taught in a preschool before coming to our school, but it was general ed. I assume my students have more "serious" disabilities if they're already labeled as preschoolers.

Check out the thread I started in the preschool section- lots of people have posted helpful info about what a typical preschool day looks like. I'd be interested to hear some input from people that specifically teach special ed. preschool in this section too though!