Establishing a presence?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by riverdance85, Jan 26, 2014.

1. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Jan 26, 2014

Hello all,

I have been thinking about something for a while and have another question to pose to you folks. This one is especially for the veterans.

Do you think that a teacher establishes a 'presence' in a school after a few years teaching there? Could this help in classroom management in some way? Does the teacher become a part of the school community (meaning that the teacher gains a sense of belonging)?

I have been teaching at my current school for 1.5 years and just this year I feel more and more like I 'fit' there. This is my first teaching job. The students have been better for me this year, too.

What are your thoughts? Thanks again!

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 26, 2014

I certainly think so. We have a teacher who has taught at our school for over 50 years. We named the entire gym after her and she's still going strong. She's our PE teacher.

I think it could help classroom management, but I think you can create a great classroom management presence even if you were fairly new.

But yes, the longer you stay at a school, the more you probably feel comfortable there.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 26, 2014

Absolutely! I think it helps with classroom management tremendously. I have a reputation for being strict. Students that hear this ahead of time are less likely to test the waters when they come in that first week. Which prevents other issues from arising as well.

It is also great with getting support from admin. If you handle most things in your own room and have high expectations for behavior, the principals are more likely to have your back when you do ask for help.

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jan 26, 2014

^^^ ICAM. Especially about handling things in-house (your classroom) without Admin support.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2014

I think that a new teacher can establish a presence in the school their first year. I think it's easier for a teacher who has been in a school longer to have an established presence, just because they are already known.