Essential oils

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by teacherintexas, May 25, 2016.

1. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 25, 2016

Does anyone on here use them?

I made an impromptu roller of mosquito repellent this evening for my husband. I used lemon, peppermint, tea tree, and lavender since those are oils I had on hand. It seemed to work well enough as my husband worked in the garden and he can't use commercial bug spray without getting sick from the fumes. I'm going to have to research recipes for a better recipe and get the stuff for it.

Does anyone have any tried and true uses for oils or for homemade recipes for mosquito repellent?

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 26, 2016

My neighbor made something... I will have to check.

We use the family stuff and got a natural one... haven't tried it yet.

4. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 26, 2016

Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it. It was a variation of citronella. Stunk to high heaven. Kept mosquitos away, but whoo, never again!

5. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 26, 2016

We made the mouthwash solution tonight. It seems like it's helping. They aren't swarming us when we walk outside.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 26, 2016

Teacher... has he ever kept a fabric sheet in his pocket? I have heard they (mosquitoes) don't like the smell. When I had a summer job as a college student a lady took garlic pills to keep mosquitoes away!!!

7. PositivelyAutism

PositivelyAutism Rookie

Jun 29, 2016

It seems a little weird, but I make an antiperspirant out of hand lotion, lemon oil, and peppermint oil. Lemon and peppermint are supposed to be "cooling" oils. I just put a small amount of lotion in my hand, and add a 2-3 drops of each oil and rub my hands to mix it together. There are certain ratios you're supposed to follow for how many drops, which I haven't looked up yet, so you will probably want to look that up before you make any! Some oils can burn your skin if they aren't diluted.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 4, 2016

I use them in my classroom. If anything, it keeps the smells away, haha.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 5, 2016

Eucalyptus and lemon is supposed to work for mosquitoes. I'm allergic to mosquitoes, but I'm more allergic to eucalyptus.

10. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 8, 2016

I havent tried it as mosquito repellant, but I bought a bunch of oils to diffuse for anxiety/stress/etc. I honestly cant tell if its working and dont see any effects---is there actually any research at EOs help with things like pain, illness, stress? It kinda just smells like light purfume in the room..

11. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jul 8, 2016

I use Young Living oils off and on and I've used their Purification for mosquito repellent. It's a mixture of citronella, lavandin, lemongrass, rosemary, myrtle, and tea tree so any combo of those would probably help, I'd guess.

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 8, 2016

Thank goodness the mosquitos aren't as thick as they were. It was horrible. They actually looked like black clouds flying around you. They're at the normal annoyance level now.

13. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 8, 2016

That sounds like a nightmare! I used to live in Canada, and we also had these horseflies that would take chunks out of your neck. So painful!