essential oils

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by love2teach, Feb 15, 2014.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2014

Does anyone use these? What are your thoughts? I just bought a few and I am still not sure how I feel about them. I like the smells and all, but not sure if I am sold on what they actually do.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2014

I do find lavender scented creams to be soothing and peppermint lotions can be energizing...

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2014

I use the essential oils in a salt scrub I make. I love it! I use coconut oil, mint oil and regular table salt. It is really nice to use in the shower. I want to get lavender and vanilla as well.

I'm not really into using them as healers. But I love my salt scrub!!

5. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Feb 15, 2014

I have been using them lately. I find one in particular helps me sleep like a baby. There are a couple I use on my child for allergies and asthma, and we are seeing results. I loaned some to a friend that was stressed out and not sleeping well. She texted me today to say she hasn't slept that well in a long time.

What brand are you using? Are you diffusing them, drinking them, or applying them to your body?

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 15, 2014

I use peppermint in a diffuser when I'm having trouble breathing. I still may have to take antihistamines but it helps with the comfort level.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 15, 2014

I use them as perfume. These are essential oils that are ok to come in contact with skin (not all are). My favorite is Black coconut, I've used it for 4-5 years, that's pretty much signature scent. It doesn't give people headaches, not to strong, but it's noticeable. I also like vanilla, chocolate, anything that's sweet.

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 15, 2014

Which one helps you sleep? I could use that!

9. asha

asha Rookie

Feb 15, 2014

I also want to know about that sleeping one. This could be a great gift for my coworker.

10. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2014

I have been buying Young Living EO and from the research I have done, they are the best as they are therapeutic grade. I have been applying them directly to the skin (and diluting them for my kiddos), ingesting some in my water and I diffused for the first time today.
    There is a lot of info out there and everything I have read is positive, but I am still a little skeptical.....

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2014

Where do you guys buy them? I've been interested in trying them for some time, as most lotions/perfumes give me migraines. I was thinking straight-up, no weird chemicals might be better for me.

I use Dr. Bonner's lavender or peppermint soap, depending on whether I need to relax or wake up! That's the only scented soap that doesn't bother me!

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2014

Love Dr. Bronner's!! We used the peppermint growing up and it's so nostalgic for me. I love that soap. :)

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 16, 2014

I buy mine online from Puritan's Pride when they have a good sale.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 16, 2014

I was just going to ask where to buy them, so thanks. I remember using Dr Bonner's in the 70s. I loved it but it gave me a rash in sensitive areas. I'd like to try the lavender. Who else has had results with lavender as a calming elixir? How do you really know which elixirs can be taken internally?

15. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Feb 16, 2014

I only use Young Living. Their Peace and Calming blend helps me sleep like a baby. I diffuse it for an hour or so before bed and then apply it behind my ears before bed.
    I did an experiment with my son. I put some in the diffuser in his room at bed time, and told him about it. He told me the next morning he slept much better. I used it for a couple more nights without telling him it was in there. The fourth night I didn't put it in the diffuser, and I didn't mention it to him. The next morning he asked me if I forgot to put it in because he didn't sleep well.
    I can help you with the oils if you want to pm me. There is an easy way to buy them through Young Living at a cheaper price than what is on their website when you look at it online. You are not required to sell the product to others, but you can save money just by spending a minimum of fifty dollars a year.

16. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2014

I have been using Young Living as well. A friend recommended the brand to me. From the research I have done, it is the best of what is out there.

It is expensive, so I am holding off on buying a ton. I just started with Thieves and a few others.

17. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Feb 16, 2014

I'm not sure which oils are considered essential but I am in love with the lavender chamomile pillow spray from Bath and Body works. It smells so good and I feel like I relax and sleep better when I use it.

When we first moved in my husband looked at me like I was crazy when I'd spray the pillow and when I'd offer to spray his, he'd kinda scoff at my "girly" spray.

Now he's gotten to the point that he won't spray it himself when getting into bed, but if he sees me spraying my pillow he'll lean up and ask for a spray too. :wub:

I also love spearmint and eucalyptus together. I use it when I've had an especially stressful day.

18. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Feb 17, 2014

If you become a wholesale member you get a discount. You are not required to sell the product. The only thing you have to do is spend fifty dollars a year to maintain your wholesale member status.

19. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Feb 17, 2014

Lavender is an excellent choice for promoting a good nights sleep. An essential oil would be the oil only. What you are purchasing probably has chemicals added to it.
    Roman chamomile is also know for helping you relax. Again, if you bought it as an essential oil it would be the oil only.