Essential 55

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by divey, May 31, 2006.

1. divey

divey Companion

May 31, 2006

Last summer I bought The Essential 55 by Ron Clark to use in my 2nd grade classroom. My kids absolutely loved it! I had every intention of teaching a rule a day, but I often did not make time (by the end of the year the last rule I talked about was #19!), and wondered if anyone had found a way to implement this book more consistently in their daily routine?

Also...does anyone use The Essential 55 as a school-wide character education program? If so, how do you implement it?

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 31, 2006

I just bought this book myself, and I loved his approach. It's my beleifs exactly. I don't use it, because I am not a class teacher yet, but I would love too implement it. So how did you incorporate a rule a day into your 2nd grade classroom. I'd love to hear about it.

4. Jame

Jame Comrade

May 31, 2006

This is so amazing! :) :wow: I just started reading Ron Clark's Essential 55 this week, and have been so excited about it! I hate to admit that it has been sitting in my bookshelf way too long. I was afraid that everyone would have already read it and no one would be talking about it anymore, so I was so excited to see your thread! THANKS!

I, too, would love to hear how you went about implementing his rules. I suppose the age of the students would determine somewhat which rules you introduced and how quickly you introduced them? Did you role play each rule?
    Did you go in order or did you pick and choose? I haven't gotten all the way through, but were there any that you might not try to do? :) :thanks:

5. divey

divey Companion

May 31, 2006

The response I got from my 2nd graders to the Essential 55 was
    W-A-Y beyond anything I expected! They would remind ME to teach them another rule :wow: Usually I would introduce a rule during our morning time, tell them what the next rule was, and we would discuss why it was a good rule to follow and situations that that rule might come in handy. My kids seemed to feel very grown up to be learning manners that EVERYONE needs to use! I thought that 55 rules would be too many for 7 and 8 year olds, but they would refer to rules that we'd discussed at the beginning of the year when we'd be discussing problem solving strategies for conflicts in the classroom.

My favorite E.55 success story is when one of my boys (one of my very ROWDY boys) asked if he could share something one afternoon, and when we had a little time at the end of the day, I let him. He wanted to share (and I quote) "how he used one of our Essential 55 rules the night before when dealing with a problem!". Talk about reinforcement that the E.55 were sinking in....!!!

You had asked about if there were any rules I didn't teach...Usually if the rule wasn't applicable to my students, or things we did at school, I would adapt them to fit my students needs. I mean, we don't take our kids to the movies, but in life it's still good for them to know the proper etiquette when they DO go to a movie.

6. Jame

Jame Comrade

May 31, 2006

Thanks, Divey! How neat, and how rewarding to know that your little ones were applying them to life outside of school!! One more quick question for you, please....:) Did you post the rules somewhere in your classroom, and did the students refer to them by their numbers? (Oops! That's two questions!! Sorry! :eek: )

7. divey

divey Companion

May 31, 2006

After introducing a rule, I would write it on chart paper. When the chart paper was full, I would tear it off, and hang it from the ceiling, and then start another sheet. I tried to make it colorful and "fun looking" too (but that may have been just to satisfy myself! :rolleyes:
    :D

8. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Jun 8, 2006

Actually, our school implemented the book into our dailey bulletin that every teacher must read to their 1st period class. Every day was a random rule for us to read to our students.

=]

It's a great book.

Hannah

9. kristyciera

kristyciera Rookie

Jun 8, 2006

In a teacher ed. supply store the other day, I actually saw some materials that you could use with the book. There were posters that had the rules on them (3 total, so 18 or so rules on each poster) and I believe that there were other posters and such with questions. I wanted to get it, but there wasn't a price on it and I had limited funs (because, duh, I'm a teacher =P). I, too, would like to implement it with my 5th graders, but wouldn't necessarily want them to be our "rules"- maybe just teach them as proper etiquette somehow?

10. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2006

Ron Clark's website is also very informative. Check it out!

11. HannahB2

HannahB2 Companion

Jun 9, 2006

Thank you MissFrizzle, I didn't even know he had a website.
    I'll check it out now.

=] Hannah

12. divey

divey Companion

Jun 9, 2006

Wow! I had thought this thread was not going to get much feedback, but I'm glad to see that there is some advice out there about using the E55! In our school this last year we started having a "word of the day" introduced during the school-wide morning announcements to help increase our students' vocabulary. I bet we could add to the word of the day concept by having the announcemnts include a E55 rule to live by..maybe not daily, but, maybe twice a week (word of the day MWF and E55 TTh?!?)? Good ideas!
    :D

13. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2006

Tear Drop - I'm trying, but he hasn't been in NY ... I'm on alert.

14. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2006

I have the book but sad to say I haven't read it yet! But did you know they are making a movie about him and Mathew Perry (AKA Chandler from Friends) is going to be Ron Clark. I think it looks really good.

15. kcbutterfly

kcbutterfly Companion

Jun 10, 2006

Would the Essential 55 work for Kindergarten? I'm going to be a new kindergarten teacher next school year.

16. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2006

That's the great thing about this book... you can modify it to fit any grade. Pick and choose those rules you feel are most appropriate. Everyone can benefit from basic manners... I love this book..

Hanvan- yes, the movie will be on in Aug. sometime.. it's looks good.

17. divey

divey Companion

Jun 11, 2006

So MissFrizzle..did you yourself use the E55 in your classroom? or was it something that was used school-wide? Did you teach all 55 rules? Our principal saw my book while doing my last observation, and really fell in love with it. She's even suggested using it as a book study for our staff this year. As far as in my own classroom, I would introduce a rule when I'd have time and/or I'd remember :eek: . Any suggestions on how the E55 could be used as a school-wide character ed. program?

18. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2006

I have not used it. I just bought the book and would like to implement in the fall. I really like the common sense approach that Mr. Clark subscribes to. If nothing else, your students will have great manners by the end of the year.

19. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jun 16, 2006

Wow, I browsed this thread awhile back and had no idea what, who Ron Clark was, I have since checked this book out from the library. Oh my gosh! I read almost all of it in one day, I went to the website, too. I just love the concept and the stories, wow great. I am taking a class right now and I have just left all my homework sitting to read this book and boy was it worth the read. I hope I get to use this in a classroom one day. I sent an email to my team-classmates and I will put this on the list of my must buy books, :D .
    I am setting my calendar for the movie, too. I am moving to GA next year so maybe I will be able to see Ron Clark one day! :)
    I think these rules apply to life and not just the classroom, my boys are going to be my test subject because they need to improve on some of these rules.
    Thanks again for giving great info. This site is the best! :thanks:

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jun 16, 2006

I saw him last summer at our state technology conference. He was wonderful!