ESS|Source4Teachers arbitration agreement

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Nietzsche, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Jun 25, 2018

Does anyone have concerns with signing the ESS | Source4Teachers arbitration agreement? I have not yet signed it, and I'm wondering why I should sign it. I'm guessing they will make some kind of threat that it is a condition of employment. Anyone else have concerns with signing away your rights?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2018

There’s another thread going in which the OP and others have had problems with Source for teachers. Be forewarned.

4. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Jun 30, 2018

Let me just explain how I viewed that arbitration that I signed recently without a question.

A bit of my teaching history.
    I got my teacher's license some 13 years ago and I was under the impression that schools are the places where learning is the #1 goal, where teachers who love to work with kids get a chance to teach them and make a living out of it. I should also add I knew next to nothing about American education system at that time. I immigrated to US at the age of 15. My American school experience involved 2 years of religious school that I "ran away" from and finished my last year in a regular public school (in Brooklyn). So, my views of American education system was largely idealistic. I hoped that's what I would find there.

We moved to PA and I started working in daycares, it didn't work, so I ended up in public school system. During my 9 years of work there I kept hoping I would find a school where my "dreams about what a school is like" would come true. It didn't. I mostly saw politics, dirty politics, to be honest, and I saw very few teachers who were given a chance to just teach and not deal with a lot of administrative and other kind of bs. In special education classes, anyway.

So, the arbitration form from Source4Teachers frankly didn't surprise me at all. By now I've already figured out that (at least my area!) teaching is mostly about some kind of combination of games between staff and parents, agreements between lawyers and scared special education teachers on how to avoid getting into trouble, politics and other things which I have no interest in figuring out. So, that's why I just signed the form. whatever they want. My personal experience with subbing looked more like I was a slave instead of an employee. So, why argue or ask questions!

Nietzsche likes this.
  5. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Jul 3, 2018

I understand where you are coming from. I don't see it as a huge issue, but I can drop a few districts with no problem. I may just not sign it because I think this outsourcing is a joke. Companies like S4T have promised something they can't accomplish.