ESL - Social Studies

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by dmbfan36, Aug 6, 2010.

1. dmbfan36

dmbfan36 Rookie

Aug 6, 2010

Soooo I found out one of my class will be ESL. it's a mixed class of 6-8th. I am freaking out. I think last year the teacher taught them part 7 and then the rest 8th grade material. I have no clue what I am doing with ESL. Any suggestions, hints, help drugs you can give me to calm me down? I'll take it. I am beyond upset with the classes I have for next year.

3. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2010

I adored teaching ELs before our district decided to ship them off to newcomers school. They were the sweetest bunch of kids I ever had. I say that not speaking a lick of any language but English. Yes, it is a tough adjustment at first but within a couple weeks you'll love it.

I did a ton of read-alouds and lots of vocabulary, particularly flash cards. I'd have them put the definition in English and then in their home language. For me it was almost all Spanish so I'd have a student write it on the board in Spanish. It wasn't the most entertaining curriculum in the world but they actually tested quite similarly to my regular ed kids on the material.

4. falcons88

falcons88 Rookie

Aug 14, 2010

My school has attempted some kind of vocabulary system for years. This year they came up with something new. If you can find a dictionary/glossary of stems/roots/prefixes/suffixes that the kids can use I think it would really help. They can see how words are constructed together.

I would also have them read and talk to one another. Emphasis complete sentences (in English) and formal vs informal language. I guess no one might speak english but you'd be surprised. Even if its only one, they can help explain things on occasion.