ESL requirements - Connecticut

Discussion in 'ESL/ELL' started by suzy7677, Feb 21, 2015.

1. suzy7677

suzy7677 Rookie

Feb 21, 2015

Hi, I was wondering what the requirements for teaching ESL in CT are. I currently have my MS in Elementary Education and am certified to teach in CT.
    Last year I took an onsite TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) course...will this make any difference on my resume?
    If not, what is the minimum of what I would need to do to be considered a quality candidate for an ESL position?

Thank you!

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 21, 2015

It would appear that you need to pass the Praxis II exam, as well as the ACTFL exam. The information is on their website. I believe these two items are non-negotiable. CT is not specific about the teacher prep, unlike NJ, which specifies how many courses you need at the graduate level, as well as which ones, to qualify to teach ESL. Whether or not the TEFL course will increase your value on paper, well, that will probably depend on the reputation of the organization that presented it. Some are a total farce, others more trustworthy. If, on the other hand, you back it up with high Praxis II scores in ESL, it may be relevant. Good luck.

4. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Feb 21, 2015

You will need to have college credits- I believe it is 30. I earned my original certification in CT and then went back to school for ESL certification in another state. My ESL program did not have 30 credits worth of classes, so even though I am certified to teach ESL in two other states, CT never gave the certification. If you send them your paperwork they will check it for you and tell you exactly what you need.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 21, 2015

I know many states require coursework, but I couldn't find that on their website. I also know that some states simply require you to pass a test, and they don't care how you gained the knowledge for that. In NJ, it is 15-21 graduate credits, depending on whether or not you have a standard certificate in NJ. I believe in TX, if you can pass their test, you are in. Lots of variety in what is needed. I hate it when the state DOE sites can't clearly state what is needed. I do agree that most if not all states will evaluate your transcripts to let you no what is and is not possible. Thanks for a better answer!

6. suzy7677

suzy7677 Rookie

Feb 22, 2015

Thank you, I appreciate your response. I think I will give them a call and find out where to send my paperwork so they can tell me what is required. You were able to get further than me!
    The principal at my school casually asked me the other day if I have any ESL experience, and I did not mention the TEFL course I took (which was legit). Thank you

7. anna9868

anna9868 Habitué

Feb 22, 2015

the ESL position seems to be quite, how should I put it, not mysterious, but sort of veiled in unclearness.

I have Masters in ECE, and starting (hopefully!) taking courses towards ESL cert, we are in PA. I was asking them in the graduate dept of the college where I'm applying, is this a problem that my masters are in ECE and I'm planning to work in elementary, who knows maybe even middle school. THEY were not sure, I got more reassurance here at the forum that it's probably ok.

I still have a question in the back of my mind whether it would make sense for me to look for an ESL job before I finish all the required courses. Another words, do you think anyone would consider me (my resume) if I'm working towards ESL cert, or only if I have it in my hands?

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 22, 2015

For most states, you need to have the coursework, or tests, or university assurance that you have passed all appropriate requirements to teach ESL before the state will give the certificate. Most schools won't hire you to teach ESL without that certificate (or endorsement or degree) because when you are talking about ESL usually the government has a keen interest in making sure that this population isn't being slighted, very similar to SPED. All of that said, however, you can always ask. If you are talking about teaching ESL to adults, in the evening, though, they may accept your help - not as much oversight there.

9. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Feb 22, 2015

You will need to check with your state. I have a M.S. in Education and am certified K-6 and also K-12 ESL in NC and NH. But like I said, CT wants me to take 6 more credits for certification. I am not living in CT and don't plan to go back soon so I am not worried about those credits.

Your state may give statement of eligibility or something similar if you pass the Praxis while you are still earning credits.

As for teaching ESL to adults- I teach at a local community college at night and I know to do that, I had to have my Masters, have some form of ESL certification, and they were also looking for experience.

Where I am it is difficult for schools to find ESL teachers. NC accepts just the Praxis. It may just depend on how it is where you are.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 22, 2015

Locally in NJ, there are adult ESL courses NOT held at a formal community college - more likely at a library or church. In these locations many people who are taking ESL coursework are welcome, as it is a win/win on both sides of the table. I know that TX is just a test to add as an endorsement, but other states like NJ need graduate coursework that includes a comprehensive exam and a practicum if the student does not already have a standard certificate. I completed my MEd. in ESL, since the allowed electives leaned towards enhanced literacy/reading proficiency, and the course on the use of data was required, but has wide application. Reading CT's website is not clear, but I am a huge believer in picking up the phone and reaching out to the DOE if I am in doubt. That is their just reward for vague guidelines on their website.