ESL OR KINDERGARTEN.....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs.Husakovic, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Mrs.Husakovic

Mrs.Husakovic Rookie

Oct 30, 2014

Hi everyone,

I have been a member here for a while. I live on the border of Rhode Island/Massachusetts I am not fully certified but
    I have a Bachelor's in English. I acquired my degree overseas, after High School I went to college in Europe. Now that I am back in the States I have done an evaluation of my transcripts and diploma with Global Language Services Inc(as advised by the department of education in RI) and they recognized my diploma as a Bachelors degree in English language and literature, 126 credits. The major I studied was specifically oriented towards becoming an English teacher(secondary). I have all the transcripts and evaluation. In the state of RI, I only hold a substitute teacher certificate. Meanwhile, I feel like I might have changed my mind and I want to be a Kindergarten teacher, is that possible with the degree I have? Or will I have to do further coursework? Also would it be wise to get certified as a Kindergarten teacher in RI and Mass. or do those states already have enough of K teachers? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks everyone :wub:

3. Mrs.Husakovic

Mrs.Husakovic Rookie

Oct 31, 2014

no one knows anything about this :(

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 31, 2014

That, or people are kind of distracted at the moment and they'll come up for air over the weekend.

5. Mrs.Husakovic

Mrs.Husakovic Rookie

Oct 31, 2014

hehehe. Thanks TeacherGrupe. The department of education has finally responded to my calls and they are recommending getting my credentials evaluated with Rhode Island College, because it's faster. I called RIC and they say I might have to do a Masters of early childhood education or a second Bachelor's. They transferred me to a Professor , I left a message and wrote an email , she hasn't responded yet. I'm really interested to hear about other people's experiences with this. I've been neglecting my PRAXIS exams because I got new job in I.T. (gotta pay the bills somehow) and I feel like Kinderarten is more for me, for some strange reason I don't feel like teaching English anymore. I feel like working with small children.....I just had a change of heart, what can I say. Is it hard to get Kindergarten jobs. I hear that find jobs in ESL an special ed is easiest.

6. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Oct 31, 2014

In NY those are separate degrees. However instead of a second bachelors you could get certified with a masters in early childhood.

I dunno about RI though. Honestly I would go back to school either way. There's a huge difference between K and teaching high school english.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2014

If you don't mind, I would offer some observations and ask you to reflect on some questions. To earn your K-12 certification in English presents significant opportunities for employment. In NJ, you would be able to teach ELA in middle school and high school, after passing the English Content Praxis II exam. That is the kind of vacancy we see quite a bit of here. In NJ, once you have your CE, your first year will be as a provisional teacher, no matter what level you are at. Since you didn't go to school to teach, you would be hired as an alternate route teacher, requiring 200 class hours and a cost of about $1800 over about a year. Completion of the AR training and the year of provisional teaching would result in a standard certificate that does not expire. Adding more endorsements mostly becomes a matter of passing Praxis exams, and having the transcript evaluated for the necessary credits. Almost any BA will be accepted for elementary, with only the Praxis exams to pass. So now you have a K-12 certificate in English and a K-6 Elem. Ed. certificate to go with it. These additional endorsements can be added more or less at your leisure. You might want to teach a year or two before deciding that you absolutely want to teach K, but that is just my opinion. You might like the MS age group as you are starting out, since HS can be a little more imposing.

You have also asked about ESL and SPED. No one should commit to those fields, IMO, without spending some time in the classroom. I have earned my MED in ESL, and I am working on TOSD certification for SPED, but I subbed for 10 years across all ages before becoming certified, and I have multiple certificates: K-6, MS specialization in ELA and Science, plus Content - Biology and General Science, and the ESL certification. I am working with a provisional certificate for the TOSD. I have the credits to add MS SS, but haven't had the time to take the Praxis exam yet. As Human Resources told me, you can never have too many certificates or initials after your name.

Now for the questions I promised. Do you have a sense of real purpose that is driving you to teach, or do you just think it would be nice to have your summers off? Do you believe that you will only work about 10 hours a day, but your weekends will be free? Are you well versed in all that is going on as the states transition to the Common Core Standards? Does it worry you that teachers evaluations and student scores can be used to offer or deny employment? Tenure, as many knew it, is fading fast. Are you committed to continuing your own education, taking courses that will make you a better teacher, keep you current? As an AR teacher, you will spend a couple of years making up for the student teaching that traditional teachers received. It affects your understanding of assessment, lesson plans, and class management skills.

Finally, it is common in NJ for many districts to offer tuition reimbursement for graduate courses, so sometimes you may want to get your feet wet and try the waters before jumping into a masters or a second BA. Just a thought. I finished my MED at a grand total of $5000 out of my pocket, so the pay raise I received means that in two years that amount is taken care of. Of course, I took 10 courses in three years and also attended teacher workshops and conferences, so I invested a lot of time and effort.

I teach because it speaks to my heart, good days and bad, and I truly can't imagine putting in the same number of hours doing something that doesn't make me smile every morning when I walk into my classroom. If you read through the posts, you will find many who are questioning whether or not they want to continue teaching. Teachers who stay with it for five years are likely in it for the long haul, but the attrition rate is high the first five years. People who love teaching can't imagine doing anything else, but there are jobs out there that will pay similar rates and have less aggravation and scrutiny involved in them.

I don't know about the states you have asked about, so referring to the state's Dept. of Ed. is always the best way to go. I have learned about NJ's ins and outs through experience - some gathered the hard way through trial and error. I would suggest getting your ducks in a row and finding the most direct way into teaching, if that is what you are looking to do, and seeing if you want to invest more time, energy, and money into diversifying once you have a job. Follow job postings in the areas you are interested in. Personally, K teachers are a dime a dozen in NJ, but we could be unique. I believe you have a lot to think about before making a serious move. I would certainly see about getting the Praxis II exams completed for English Content and Elem. Ed. before starting a job search.

Best of luck.

8. Mrs.Husakovic

Mrs.Husakovic Rookie

Nov 1, 2014

First of all, thank you all for responding and I apologize for the spelling errors in my last post, I just realized them, I was at work and kind of in a hurry. :blush: Second, let me respond to your post Lynettstoy.

Thanks for putting in the time and effort to write that big post, I really do appreciate it. I still haven't received any response from Rhode Island College. I called again , they transferred me to another Professor, she didn't pick up either and I left her a voice mail, let's see what happens Monday. I

I just checked my evaluation report ...yes it says Bachelors of English language and literature and the only courses I have related to education are : pedagogy and teaching methods.....you think I will still have to go through alternative route ?

Now, to answer your questions. I gotta say yes to both, I think I do have a sense of the real purpose that is driving me to teach, I love children, I want to help them, I want to TEACH them everything I can , I want to help them develop new skills, I want to be a part of developing a new generation of thinking individuals , but also I am SICK of working for greedy capitalists, who only think of themselves and would throw all their employees under a bus in the blink of an eye, for personal profit. I have tried other jobs and finally realized that I def. want to teach , as my original plan was when starting college, I think I am done trying to "find myself", right now I can't imagine a better career for myself than teaching. Do I think it is perfect? No! No job is perfect. Even being a movie star has its faults LOL :lol:But it is better than most jobs out there , believe me, it's just that we as human beings always think that the grass is greener on the other side. Do I want 15 weeks of vacation a year? Yes! Is that part of my reason of why I want to be a teacher? Yes! Honestly, yes. I feel that by having enough vacation it would give me an opportunity to re energize and thus be more successful at my job. Plus my plan is to have 3 or 4 kids...starting soon...and that would give me more time to spend with them, at a typical capitalistic company I would only have two weeks of vacation! I'm sorry but for me that's not enough, not because I'm lazy , but because it's just not NORMAL! As you probably know , every single European country has at least a MONTH of vacation. At my current company I do not even have a day, because I am currently employed as a contractor! NO vacation days, no sick days, no benefits, NOTHING! I even have to work on Thanksgiving and Christmas! Now, the vacation is not the only reason I want to teach, as I have already explained,, I can't think of any better job for me, right now there isn't anything I would enjoy more than teaching but the vacation and benefits are a big factor. Tenure is fading away? Really :unsure: Haven't heard of that....that sounds bad....but then again, what job is 100% secure these days....Teacher evaluations, student scores, of course that's no picnic but working at a capitalistic private company you get evaluated every DAY! Believe me! You can have 499 satisfied and happy customers, but God forbid the 500th complains about you to your manager, because she is pi**ed off to start with,grumpy, bitter and doesn't like your "tone". Yes, I am willing to invest time and effort into my own education if it is going to help me keep my job and advance in my career. I did receive student teaching....can't remember the exact number of hours, I believe it was 2-3 months that I student taught, but it doesn't say that anywhere on my evaluation report..... I was all alone during my student teaching, actually it wasn't typical student teaching, a school had hired me without my diploma, because they could not find any licensed teachers, so they gave me a temp. certificate to teach until the school finds a licensed teacher...and my University counted this as student teaching. Do you want me to honestly tell you how I felt teaching? I was happy to be able to teach, but I felt like I wasn't trained properly, I was aware of the fact that I lacked classroom management skills, lesson planing skills.....had never seen a lesson plan before...and the whole time I kept thinking I wish they'd taught me this....my studies were based on teaching English, yet the only courses in education we had were Pedagogy and English teaching methods and that was more based on theory if you know what I mean......Idk...I just hope RIC does an evaluation for me and helps me figure something out. Thank you for all your time though :)

P.S. You mentioned middle school would be great to start off with, I don't think I would be too comfortable working with teenagers....I like little kids....teenagers, not too much....

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 2, 2014

You may actually benefit and appreciate the alternate route training. I know I did. Some programs shunt you into a masters program to get that training, and depending on the state, that may be your only option. NJ has AR training that is actually under the auspices of Rutgers, but you don't acquire credits, just get your certificate. Obviously you will have to abide by whatever your state deems necessary. Will they count your "student teaching"? I don't know. Without the support and mentoring of a cooperating teacher, you missed the essential point to the practicum, but that is just my opinion.

In NJ, if you have 60 general education, non pedagogy credits, you can take the Praxis II exams for Elem. Ed. Successful results, about $120, and some paper work would qualify you to teach younger students, but probably not Pre-K. If younger is where you want to be, that should do it. Will your states be the same? I don't know. I would get the Praxis II exams out of the way for whatever you are considering. Nothing is worse than finding a promising job, only to find that the Praxis fouled you up by a point or two. My son had that experience. When I mentioned MS, I wanted you to consider taking whatever job will get you through your provisional license, acclimating yourself to the classroom, and all that is going on. It doesn't have to be your forever job - it is something to put on a resume and counts as experience. Don't underestimate the advantage of a successful year under your belt. I would put ESL and SPED certificates on hold until you can truly decide if that is a road you want to go down. Are they beneficial getting a job? Somewhat, but the investment in time and money has to be considered.

I wish you well.

10. Mrs.Husakovic

Mrs.Husakovic Rookie

Nov 2, 2014

Thank you.