ESL - NO English

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sshintaku, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Mar 23, 2011

I've recently gotten a student in my intermediate level ELD class can speak zero English.

Fortunately, I have students who can help translate for him, but I also want to help him with his fluency.

Does anyone have ideas they use for this situation? I can't stop the whole class to learn basic words, so I have been giving him individual assignments, but I would like him to be able to participate in class at least a little bit. (Difficult, as it is 11th grade English and the rest of the kids are fairly fluent.)

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2011

Have you ever visited Dave's ESL Cafe? You can google it. There are tons of resources for working with newcomers.

4. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Mar 23, 2011

My question is: why is he in your INTERMEDIATE level class when he is a pre-emergent student?

5. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Mar 23, 2011

I'll check out that site. I've been googling things and he's been working with picture cards and things. I just am having a hard time keeping him included in the class.

Unfortunately, SDAIE classes this year have been just sort of thrown all together- mix level. So I have this student, and then students who are all the way advanced and should be re-designated in one class, and kids everywhere in between.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 23, 2011

Is he literate in his first language?

7. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Mar 23, 2011

Yes, but I don't know how literate. I have given him simple noun/verb translations for sentences and basic instructions, but I don't think he is like 11th grade academically literate.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 23, 2011

Ouch. That's a challenge. Can you access his previous school records, if any?

9. KateL

KateL Habitué

Mar 23, 2011

What are you doing in class now? Can the student read in his native language? Could you get a translation of the novel or whatever that you're working on in class right now?

If the kid is motivated and has been to school before, he might pick up English pretty quickly. I have a student who just came from Mexico in December, and he can already read and understand English well enough to get A's on most of my quizzes. He also understands my verbal instructions and can answer questions I ask him in class. I do have a Spanish version of the textbook, and I seat this student next to someone who can translate for him if he needs clarification, but I haven't had to do much else other than the basic SDAIE strategies I use for the rest of the class.

10. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Mar 23, 2011

ok I understand now. We have the same issue at my level.
    More than likely his academics at the low level have to do with the language barrier. I would try to get info. from his last school on how well he performed. More than likely he is literate in his first language and he just needs a few months to boost his English. Currently, I have a student who began with me in January knowing no English. She is now receiving B's on Spelling tests, C's on Reading tests and C's and B's on Math. Her communication and understanding has gone sky high! I'm so proud of her = )

11. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Mar 23, 2011

So far, all I've been able to get him is a Spanish/English picture dictionary. I'll have to look into getting a Spanish translation of the novel - that's a great idea! No records from his previous school are in our database yet *sigh*