ESL certifiction help

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by Cbuxkemper, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Cbuxkemper

Cbuxkemper New Member

Sep 20, 2016

I have been certified ESL generalist EC-4 for 12 years. I decided to make a change and received a Science Core 4-8 certification. My district says I am not ESL certified for 4-8. I've done some research. Some state that the ESL should extend and cover the new certification. Other state that I would need to take the ESL Supplement 154 exam. Without the ESL certification, I'm losing a $1500 stipend with my district. So I'm trying to figure out what I need to do.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 20, 2016

I'm only guessing that you are in Texas? They had some recent shifts in how the ESL endorsement is earned, where you can be ESL, but you don't get the generalist certification to go with it. Now the ESL is a stand alone certificate, as I researched it. So what you are saying would be right - you have to take the stand alone ESL Supplement exam. That exam and certificate would allow you to teach ESL across the board, all subjects. I don't know if the test is more complex than the old test, but would think it might be, but hard to know by how much. Essentially the test you took was geared for elementary, and now they want you to be able to teach ESL in all grades, which is much more in line with what other states do. Whether or not you could be grandfathered in would be a question for the DOE.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 20, 2016

Take the exam. I bought a book from Amazon, studied a couple of hours, and made an A. I paid for the certificate and I was done.

5. Cbuxkemper

Cbuxkemper New Member

Sep 22, 2016

Yes, I'm a Texas teacher. Sounds like I need to go take the test. Thanks!

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2016

You might want to see if TAMU still offers the online ESL course, geared specifically to pass the exam. Last I checked, the state of Texas would pay virtually the entire tuition if you have a standard teacher's credential. I think it is 10 weeks long, and when I looked into it, they were showing a 92% pass rate after taking the course. I don't know if there are grad credits for the class, but if so, that is icing on the cake.

Best of luck!