ESE & English 6-12 FTCE/SAE

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Teeko, Dec 5, 2015.

1. marike

marike Rookie

Feb 18, 2017

I took the test last month - failed the MC (189), but passed the essay (whew). I had 79 questions on my test.

There were a lot of scenario questions that had two answers that weren't good options, and two that seemed like realistic options that you could see yourself doing depending on the class and students you were dealing with. For example (but not an actual question), "You notice that you have a small group xxyz grade students that are having a hard time with a particular topic. What is the best way to address this?" And then it'll give you answers that may include mini lessons, using small groups, addressing the entire class, etc. And then you sit there and over analyze the scenario as the time ticks down. At one point, i just looked at the 40 cameras on the ceiling that were facing me and shrugged lol.

The literature questions weren't terrible, the media literacy questions were weird, but doable. There were a handful of questions that had to do with grade-specific student speeches. Heck, there were actually a lot of 6th, 7th, and 8th grade questions, and I know I failed a lot of them because that's what my results showed lol. I mean, one of the questions that totally puzzled me I've yet to find an actual answer or strategy for. I've now asked three 6th grade teachers about it and they just look at me and ask wtf...why would this ever come up? My best advice is to study teaching strategy and how to apply them - memorizing facts and definitions will only get you so far.

I went into the essay with the strategy I think LitGirl talked about. I had five paragraphs - an intro w/ a clear thesis statement, three supporting paragraphs that included plenty of quoted material from the story, and then a conclusion. I am terrible at analyzing things in a short period of time, so this essay was a huge worry for me; having a strategy was very, very helpful. I even went in with a mental list of 10 words (elements of literature, styles, etc) that I was comfortable using and could apply to just about any essay, and I easily used almost all of them. My essay wasn't long at all, but I made sure my spelling and grammar was on point, that it flowed well, and it was easy to follow. I spent the first 5 minutes reading the poem and story, taking notes on the materials they provided me. I ended up going with the story because I'd made more notes about things to analyze. Then I spent 40 minutes writing out the the first four paragraphs. I spent 5 minutes writing the conclusion, and then the remaining 10 minutes editing and polishing it (I'm really good at omitting words and changing tenses :/ ). I walked out of the building feeling terrible about the entire experience, so I was thrilled to find out that I'd gotten a Pass on the essay two and a half weeks later.

As for what I've studied, I purchased a handful of exams from Exam Edge at the recommendation of some peers who passed the same test (these were somewhat helpful for literature-based questions). I purchased the Dr Jane Thielman book, which was OK, but I'm not terribly confident it was helpful for the test (I found the second half helpful because it's been 15 years since I took an English or Literature class and it refreshed my memory on terms and authors). After I failed, I rented (from Amazon) Jim Burke's "The English Teacher's Companion," which was recommended to me from a peer taking the 5-9 test (it's also recommended in this thread), and I thought I'd rented "Formative Assessment for English Language Arts: A Guide for Middle and High School Teachers" by Amy Benjamin, but apparently I bought it (this book came at the recommendation of my EPI program). So, hopefully I'll do a bit better next time around. I hope to retake it after spring break in March.

2. Sillythibs

Sillythibs New Member

Feb 19, 2017

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has given advice, and Lit girl for the specifics. I'm taking the test for the first time in April and while this thread made me very nervous, at least I have an idea of where to start studying.

3. Jason Jones

Jason Jones New Member

Feb 22, 2017

Hey everyone, I took the test a month ago. 191!!! OY VEY! Alas, I take this dreaded mockery of my existence again 1 week from today. I passed the Essay so that's a plus. I bought the FTCE study guide by Mometrix and purchased 20 tests with that website that always pops up when you google trying to pass the English FTCE 6-12... yea it's worthless, but Mometrix is ok as far as terminology and such. If you have that they actually have a video academy with different tutorials for a few items regarding English which were okay. Litgirl's posts on page 4 & 5 I believe are very helpful and organized as well as the "Elmers" notes although I still feel like I'm running into this thing blind. I couldn't agree more with marike and most everyone else on here, the terminology, grammar, fiction & non-fiction knowledge is almost irrelevant for this test. Obviously, you need to know those items, but your not really tested on them, maybe 10 out of the now 79 not 80 questions. Most questions are these scenario questions that marike pointed out which was an excellent example. The problem is not even what is the best answer because normally I could seriously argue for 2 or even 3 of the options. The problem is what do the test makers think the answer is... Thats the problem... From what I have gathered it seems as if we all just keep taking the test until you magically pass one day 3, 4, 7, 10 times whatever it takes because this test is more LUCK based than it is KNOWLEDGE based...

Incidentally, has anyone ever tried to do the challenge when you are within 10 points. I considered it, but had already scheduled to retake the test, not sure if I can do both. My thought was that they must give this option because they are aware that at least 2 answers in many of the scenario questions can be argued either way and they just don't have a method of grading that can take into account the scenario and a standardized test at the same time. So they give this option for you to go back in and plead your case. Maybe they accept 1, 2 or even 3 questions and poof your over the hump... Anyone else considered this, thought about doing it or has actually done it?

4. piscis18

piscis18 Rookie

Feb 26, 2017

Hi, Sillythibs! I just took the test last week and, like so many others participating in this forum, didn't pass the MC section. (I'm still waiting on my official score report and to hear whether or not I passed the essay.) Anyway, I saw several recommendations from previous test-takers to just get in there and take it so you have a better idea what the MC questions are like. I started studying for this in October, but felt like I was going into this blind. In some ways, I think I over-estimated what I needed to study. Now that I've sat for the test once, I feel like I have a slightly better idea what to study & review before I take it again. Point being, if you can financially swing it, I'd highly recommend taking it before April.

5. piscis18

piscis18 Rookie

Feb 26, 2017

6. piscis18

piscis18 Rookie

Feb 26, 2017

Does anybody understand the term 'primary intent' with respect to mass media? I think I must not understand this term and I'm trying to tie up loose ends before I retake the MC subtest. I know what a 'primary source' is, but I can't seem to find 'primary intent' when I try to dig up background reading via Google. Any resources/links would be very appreciated!

7. piscis18

piscis18 Rookie

Feb 26, 2017

Marike, I think the strategy you mentioned is an excellent idea for anybody doing the essay sub-test. I don't recall this being mentioned elsewhere, but Broward County Public Schools has put out a nice study-guide for the FTCE English 6-12 test. It's available in the public domain; I just came across it while clicking around. It seems to be a bit outdated (the MC test is described as 85 questions in 6 competencies) but the advice for the essay still seems relevant. This site won't let me post the link to the resource, but try this google search: "skill/competency #7 ability to write well on a selection from poetry or prose." I believe the document to download is just labeled 9.doc and the domain also ends with that, too.

8. piscis18

piscis18 Rookie

Feb 26, 2017

Is anyone else interested in participating in an in-person study-group? I would love to find a study buddy! I plan on retaking it at the end of my Spring Break (and again in April, and again in May, with the luck everyone else is having!) I'm in Duval county.

Jennalainerb likes this.
  9. piscis18

piscis18 Rookie

Feb 26, 2017

I came across a nice quizlet to review teaching strategies & assessments. The flashcard set comes from quizlet number 178148023. I haven't had time to check out other quizlets created by this member, but the others might also be worth a look.

10. Taniere

Taniere New Member

Feb 27, 2017

Hi a lot of this information is very helpful and makes me feel a bit more positive about taking the test this year. Anyone taking the test to be a teacher in Broward County?

11. lisalisa_23452

lisalisa_23452 Rookie

Mar 1, 2017

Hi everyone, so I'm scheduled to take the test in April and I want to know if anyone is interested in studying for this test together, whether in person or over the internet (skype) or whatever. I actually started a meetup in Virginia Beach, VA where I live and I'm currently looking for a study partner. I just know my strengths and I'm better when I study with at least one other person to bounce ideas off of and we can teach each other what we know.

12. lisalisa_23452

lisalisa_23452 Rookie

Mar 1, 2017

Hi, I'm scheduled to take this test in April and I have come across people saying that teaching "scenarios" is the main focus of the test among other things. Without being specific could you give an example of what you mean? I would really appreciate it.

13. Jason Jones

Jason Jones New Member

Mar 1, 2017

Hi everyone, I took the test Tuesday morning and passed THANK GOD!!! Just wanted to let you know that I used this website is teachingchannel dot org to wrap my head around the common core teaching strategies and that seemed to do the trick, along with knowing all the terminology, but knowing authors, names, dates is a waste except just knowing the periods of time classical, neoclassical, romantics... Hope that helps!!!

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 2, 2017

Teaching Channel is a really good site for lots of things. Congratulations!

15. lisalisa_23452

lisalisa_23452 Rookie

Mar 2, 2017

Jason, congrats...did you search common core or English Language Arts for the website?

16. Jason Jones

Jason Jones New Member

Mar 2, 2017

ELA for High School!

17. lisalisa_23452

lisalisa_23452 Rookie

Mar 2, 2017

Thank you...:)

18. Jason Jones

Jason Jones New Member

Mar 2, 2017

NP, Good luck!!! Theres like 145 videos most of them are only 3-5 minutes. Some are longer I watched all of the longer ones because they have the most content and most of the shorter ones... I did watch some of the middle school as well...

19. marike

marike Rookie

Mar 4, 2017

The scenario questions mostly gave a grade level and a problem and then give you four options that a teacher may or may not do. For example (not actual questions of course), "You have 8 kids in your 10th grade English class that are having problems with contractions. What is the best way to address this?" or "You have a student who is struggling with keeping up with the reading material. What is the best way to keep the student from falling behind?"

20. TonyaT

TonyaT New Member

Mar 5, 2017

Hi everyone, I'm really new to this site and panicking a bit because I've just decided to start studying and I am planning to schedule the test in early April. I am so overwhelmed. I have found lots of useful study guide type materials through the internet and this forum but yet to find any good practice tests to maybe show me where my weaknesses are. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, has anyone found study com to be helpful review?

21. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 5, 2017

22. TonyaT

TonyaT New Member

Mar 6, 2017

I have, thank you. I've recently contacted the district as I was told they have information to study also. Fingers crossed.

23. lisalisa_23452

lisalisa_23452 Rookie

Mar 6, 2017

Thank you, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me...:)

24. TonyaT

TonyaT New Member

Mar 6, 2017

Has anyone tried exam edge for test prep on this test?

25. Ctil16

Ctil16 Guest

Mar 13, 2017

Hello all! I am taking the test again tomorrow (third time with the MC) and needing to pass it by my May graduation. I already have a job offer but I need to pass the test! The first time I took it I scored 193 and my second attempt was 171. The test was almost identical to the first time I took it so I changed a few answers and then did worse. I'm so frustrated! I have outdated study guides and I've been reading anything I can find online as well as going through all of your suggestions. There's a book coming out later this month on Amazon that's supposed to be based on the new test. Good luck, everyone.

26. teaching hopeful

teaching hopeful Rookie

Mar 15, 2017

I took the essay again and got the word last night that I DID NOT pass the test. I wrote a 4 paragraph essay. I have one more chance to take it before I lose my temporary certificate and my job. There have been 3 teachers that lost their job teaching at my school because of these tests. The essay is the ONLY thing holding me back. Has anyone passed the essay part? If so any tips?

27. lisalisa_23452

lisalisa_23452 Rookie

Mar 17, 2017

Hi, so, LitGirl, gave a really good example of how to write the essay, she uses the 5 paragraph way...the first paragraph is the intro and the last paragraph is the conclusion and the 3 paragraphs in the middle are where you give your info on your three areas of content. Look her up, she has put so much invaluable information on here.

28. teaching hopeful

teaching hopeful Rookie

Mar 18, 2017

LitGirl:

I was told you posted a good outline of the essay portion. However, I cannot seem to find it. Can you point me in the right direction? I passed my MC but took the essay twice and have not passed it. I have until June-30. So that means I have one more chance to test and pass or I lose my job. Any help is appreciated. I have been writing 4 paragraphs but wonder if they are looking for 5 or perhaps it doesn't even matter.

29. krose1011

krose1011 Rookie

Mar 19, 2017

I'm planning to take this exam next month, and I'm currently a teacher in Broward County

30. piscis18

piscis18 Rookie

Mar 21, 2017

Hi, Lisa! I took the test for the first time in February. Just got my results back: 191. Grr! I made notes to myself immediately after the test, then sat down with two other colleagues to see what answers they may have chosen differently. So far I've only identified 4 questions that I definitely got wrong. I still don't know the correct answers to others. The scenarios definitely seem to be the tricky ones and the Mass Media section was my lowest score. I have no idea what to expect for round two, but would love to have someone to bounce ideas off of! Did you say you aren't taking the test again until April? Are you actively studying now?

31. piscis18

piscis18 Rookie

Mar 21, 2017

Hi, teaching hopeful! I took the test in February and just got my results last week. I passed the essay but did not pass the Multiple Choice (I got 191 and the threshhold is 200 -- Grrr!!). I wanted to share a resource with you that I believe made the difference for me. Broward County (I think) put out a study guide for this test. Try searching on Google for 'broward.k12.fl.us english ftce 6-12 competency #7 ability to write well on a selection from' and a document title 'Are You Surprised?' will pop up. It ends with 9.doc. I wish I could post the link here for you! It references an older version of the test, but the essay bit is still relevant. I felt like the content of my writing and my actual analysis of the passage was mediocre at best, but I did everything that the guide outlined to do in the essay and I believe that's what really got me over the finish line. I also practiced a timed writing with about 12 different passages -- probably overkill for most, but my background is not in English Literature. Most of the passages I got from the Dr. Jane Thielmann text -- I just opened to a random selection in (Chapter 4?) the overview of literature, which contains many sample passages. There are also a few in the online reference above.

luce54 likes this.
  32. piscis18

piscis18 Rookie

Mar 28, 2017

I thought I replied
    I hope when you do finally pass it you'll come back and share what strategies were the most beneficial to you! We'd love to learn from you!

33. koreanfrau

koreanfrau Guest

Apr 1, 2017

How helpful was Mometrix 2016 guide for the new SAE English 6-12 Test?

34. Kandice

Kandice Guest

Apr 3, 2017

Planning to take the test for the first time at the end of this month.. working in Manatee county and live in Pinellas if anyone is interested in studying together!?

35. yazmin

yazmin New Member

Apr 4, 2017

I anyone could please email me with any information on this test, my email is yazminandino 88 at gmail dot com. Thank you so much!

36. Sillythibs

Sillythibs New Member

Apr 8, 2017

Hi everyone. I took the English 6-12 for the first time today and I passed the MC! I feel good about the essay, too, but we'll see. So I know I can't post any exact test questions, but I was FREAKING OUT just yesterday so I wanted to at least share my thoughts in case they offer even ONE person some comfort.
    I now disagree with those who said things like "You CAN'T study for this test!" or "It's impossible!" About half of the questions were scenario based, and you would fail if you got all of those wrong, but the other half of questions are things you can study for. It IS annoying because you will study every single period of literature (romanticism, modernism, transcendentalism....) and then there will be only ONE question that requires this info. But at least when you see that question, you will know it.
    This annoying situation of knowing 10000 things about a topic and only being questioned 2-3 times on them applies to the following: literature movements; specific famous speeches, authors, novels, poems, plays, etc; literary terms like allusion, personification; grammar/editing skills like verb phrases, modifiers, usage, vocabulary (as in you have to use context clues to figure out vocab)

I know that that is A LOT to know. Trust me. But it would have been worth it for me to study every grammar rule like the back of my hand to be confident when I saw a question about phrasal verbs, or whatever, instead of to look at it in stress. It was worth it to study every time period to feel confident when I saw the exact description I studied for the harlem renaissance, or the modernist era, for example.

I used study dot com. They have a course called FTCE English 6-12 and it has 35 chapters. Each chapter has like 10 mini lessons, all of which are around 10 minutes. And each mini lesson has a 5 question quiz. I found this website actually really helpful and loved it. It's $60 a month for the premium membership, but I did the 5 day free trial and crammed lol. I did not feel comfortable buying any of the book guides because of the bad reviews.

As far as the OTHER half of questions that are not so simple/factual....
    I really like readingrockets dot org for good articles about teaching strategies when it comes to literacy.
    They have a great article from them explaining Higher-Order Thinking:
    You can use their search bar and just click around/read around for things like readers theatre, choral reading, and other strategies that you will need to know for the exam

A strategy I used during the test, which was time consuming, but not so much that I didn't finish with time to review, is that I WROTE out the verb for every question.... verbs like "assess" and "evaluate." I wrote out the major nouns like "8th grade class" or "science class" I would also write out ABCD for MANY questions and then physically cross them out. My dry erase paper board thing looked so full and crazy. It just seemed to help me focus on what I needed to focus on. like "Okay so this is a 9th grade class, they are studying a play, the question is asking what will help them with VOCABULARY" and then even though the answer choices all look good at first, it actually was easy to be like well choice A is helping with grammar and choice B is helping with oral communication and choice C is helping with writing and choice D is about vocabulary.

To sum that up, EVERY SINGLE WORD IN THE QUESTION AND ANSWERS MUST BE THOROUGHLY UNDERSTOOD. There is no "that answer SEEMS right." You have to know why you are choosing it. I did feel like most of the scenario question did have a best answer that really matched the verbs and nouns in the question.

Good luck!!!

DAH and Kandice like this.
  37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 10, 2017

Sillythibs, that's spot on.

38. Shannon OBrien

Shannon OBrien New Member

Apr 12, 2017

Taking this exam on May 11! I assumed it would be just as easy as all of the other teacher exams that I have already passed on the first try. Now I am worried! Its been a few years since I have been in school...... Help? I have been studying from the FTCE English 6-12 Xam online study guide as well as online research.

39. krose1011

krose1011 Rookie

Apr 12, 2017

Are you using the new Xam book to study? There's one that just came out on March 31st.

40. Shannon OBrien

Shannon OBrien New Member

Apr 12, 2017

Yes I am! I believe it is the most recent one. It is says the copyright is 2017. I like it so far however I do not feel like it goes into too much detail about each competency