ESE & English 6-12 FTCE/SAE

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Teeko, Dec 5, 2015.

1. MamaKiki

MamaKiki New Member

May 23, 2016

I know I am reviving a mildly dead thread, but I am a bit desperate. LitGirl mentioned that the test has a number of mass media questions, and I am hoping she (or anyone familiar with the test) can elaborate. None of my study materials dive into any detail on the topic, and my web search has me realizing it is such a broad topic that I am hoping to narrow down what it is that I am looking for. The things that I came across seemed like obvious information, but LitGirl mentioned she assumed the questions would be relatively easy but were not. What are we talking here?

2. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

May 23, 2016

They will instruct you on what they want you to specifically address, so there's not much I can offer you in regard to an exact response. You'll need to get your thesis and three supporting points based on the instruction, but as they tell you exactly what they want, it makes it easy to flow from there, in my opinion. Just be careful not to run out of time. My essay wasn't long but I had my intro and conclusion, and each supporting detail had just enough info for a short paragraph. It's not tricky, so I think you'll be fine if you stick to the format, and add some details and quotes. I was really worried about the essay as I've been out of school for many years, but it really was very specific and I didn't struggle with gathering my thoughts. You got this! :)

3. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

May 23, 2016

The questions are probably easy if you are a current teacher. I struggled as its a career change for me. As far as mass media, review technology (cd rom, word processing, etc) as well as radio, tv, web, newspaper, etc.

I suggest Sparknotes website for helpful literature info (think, Cliffsnotes), and I loved StudyStack website for a different studying tool (both free). I utilized lit terms, teaching strategies and even authors on this site. Just put your desired subject into the search bar and you'll get many different options.

The biggest thing I will tell you is that you have to know which teaching method is suitable by grade level and academic level, as there are very specific questions...."In a 10th grade basic skills class...." Or "A 7th grade class...."

I've posted on other threads with more info if you can find them they will offer additional detail. :)

4. Joshua Winn

Joshua Winn Rookie

May 23, 2016

That is really good to know! I have been so nervous about the essay. I just registered to take the exam on June 8th! I truly appreciate all of your help! :)

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 23, 2016

Try searching the internet for "florida media literacy glossary" and play among the links that come up.

Lit Girl likes this.
  6. MamaKiki

MamaKiki New Member

May 23, 2016

Thank you. I am also a career changer. I am testing for 2 credentials and already took the k-6 which was a BEAST. I passed 3 of the 4 sub-tests and will have to retake the math. I passed the other subjects by some crazy miracle as I was not expecting all of the subjective scenario questions and can not even fathom as how to study for them for this exam.

7. MamaKiki

MamaKiki New Member

May 23, 2016

Thank you! That was very helpful!

8. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

May 23, 2016

Honestly, I would tell you just to take it so you get a feel for the format, and worst case, it'll give you a better idea of how and what to study for the second time. It's not ideal, but I can't really give you anything specific to study. I didn't love the ftce Jane Thielman book, but found the second half much more useful than the first half. Also, I liked that there were several practice tests in the book which just helped establish the knowledge I did retain.

Know the usual authors and their works (spark notes will give you themes and symbols on each which is great), such as Alice Walker, Shakespeare, Harper Lee, Arthur Miller, F Scott Fitzgerald, Emily Dickinson, etc. there will be a few on minority/non American authors as well so just do the best you can on these---one cannot learn them all! :)

There will be some on historic periods so know these and the years/centuries they occurred.

Glossary and lit terms, General Vocab, grammar, adverbial clauses, modifiers, etc, are all on the exam in some form.

Teaching strategies, again, based on skill level and grade level. Understand how to apply them. Researching higher order thinking in depth really helped me with answering a lot of these questions. I pretty much just googled and would also click on any suggested links and articles regarding HOT in order to really grasp the concept. Definitely spend time on this----it will come into play often on the exam and help you understand exactly which answer is the most appropriate.

9. MamaKiki

MamaKiki New Member

May 23, 2016

Thank you so much. I appreciate the time you have taken to answer my (and everyone else's questions) If you HAD to estimate the percent of questions that were about literary works/authors as well as the percent of teaching strategies, what would you guess?

10. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

May 23, 2016

I'd say maybe 4-6 lit questions and probably 6-9 teaching strategy questions.

11. Joshua Winn

Joshua Winn Rookie

May 25, 2016

As I prepare to take the FTCE English 6-12 exam next week, I have begun practicing the essay portion of the exam. Can someone do a huge favor for me and read the essay I wrote in response to the selected text on the official competencies guide and let me know what they think? Thank you so much!

In a whirlwind of description, Scott Russell Taylor paints a picture of a memory from his childhood that captures his audience with the imagery he scatters throughout his essay, The Inherent Tools.

This selection of text from The Inherent Tools begins with a personification of the saw the child, presuming Scott Russell Taylor, was using by describing the saw as “biting down” (line 1). This use of personification captures the reader immediately with the entertaining aspect found within using a figure of speech. The author goes on to explain his love for the smell of wood as it is cut with a saw. He uses the term fragrance, which has a positive connotation making the reader reflect on wonderful smells such as perfumes or flowers. He even uses a simile to compare his beloved scent of sawdust to something “freshly baked” (line 4).

The author continues with his descriptive language as he describes what he would do with his stored saw dust when he did not feel like hammering nails. Taylor explains that the child would use the stored saw dust he collected to build miniature farms, towns, and highways (line 8). This imagery the author portrays in the text causes the reader’s mind to visualize the child playing with the saw dust in the garage. Taylor uses a hyperbole when describing the child’s father as “colossus” making the reader picture a large man hovering over his young son.

The Inherent Tools
    leaves the audience with a sense of joy as this story strums the strings of childhood memories within the reader. One can almost smell the scent of sawdust due to the vivid descriptions Taylor uses in his text. For example, Taylor explains that the scent of sawdust is still present on the skin of the child and in the hair of the father after a bath, which depicts the potency of the scent of the sawdust the child was playing with earlier in the story (line 12). This story beautifully concludes with an intimate picture of the child and the father hugging before bedtime.

To conclude, The Inherent Tools by Samuel Russell Taylor uses imagery that captures the audience’s attention as he/she reads through the story. The use of figures of speech like personification and similes bring an entertaining aspect to the story. The audience concludes their reading of this story with a joyful feeling as the author brought the smells of saw dust and innocence of childhood to the forefront of the reader’s imagination.

12. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

May 25, 2016

I think you're going to be fine with the essay :)

13. Joshua Winn

Joshua Winn Rookie

May 25, 2016

Thank you! :) I am so ready to get this test out of the way!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 25, 2016

Not necessary.
    Um. What's the primary imagery?
    Not necessary. The charge to the test taker is analysis, not interpretation.
    Implies that the imagery is random. It isn't. Again, what's the primary imagery? To what sense is the essayist primarily appealing?
    TeacherGroupie's Law: However the test cites the text source, you should cite it the same way. In any case, italics are for book-length works, such as the collection from which this excerpt is taken, The Essay Connection: Readings for Writers. (Technically, the TIG has this slightly wrong: the edition number isn't part of the title. Ah, well.) In addition, you have the title wrong: it's The Inheritance of Tools. And, yes, these details matter to scorers.
    First, the identification of the child as Taylor is intrusive in this sentence: better simply to refer to "the child" and "the father", if you can't find a tidier way to distinguish them. Second, anyone who works with tools knows that saws have teeth and that saw teeth bite. Go with personification when the image catches you up and has you murmuring, "Golly: I never looked at it that way."
    Unnecessary: interpretation, not analysis.
    In fact the whole passage begins with the fragrance of sawn wood.
    Your point that the word "fragrance" has positive connotations is good, though you're unlikely to need to explain to the English teachers who score these things what "positive connotations" means. As to the simile, yes, but of exactly what kind/condition of wood is it predicated?

This is more nearly narration. But hold that thought about what the child was building with the sawdust.
    Ouch. "Hyperbole" is a mass noun, not a count noun.
    The Colossus of Rhodes was a bronze statue over 100 feet tall that most likely stood at the entrance of the harbor of Rhodes (Wikipedia's a decent source on it). I doubt the child experienced his father as a colossus with respect to himself, because that characterization immediately follows the description of the child's landscapes on which "miniature cars and trucks" run along "miniature roads," and this colossus is "careful not to trample my creations."

I trust that you can guess what I have to say about this.
    Here's your point: how the essayist uses olfactory imagery - the smells of wood and sawdust - to bring the reader into his memory.
    Thing is, even this sentence is about smell. (The chances are very good that this essay was included in the anthology to make a point about the effectiveness of evoking senses other than sight.)

Scott Russell Taylor, or hedge your bets by using just the surname.
    I've run out of steam - for reasons most of which have nothing to do with your sample response or even with A to Z - so I'm going to say nothing about the last paragraph except to note that very few writers use literary figures primarily to entertain. Please don't go there.

15. Joshua Winn

Joshua Winn Rookie

Jun 2, 2016

I just got home from taking the FTCE English 6-12 exam today. I passed the multiple choice portion! I feel like what helped me was reflecting on my professors as I am still in school completing my Master's degree. I would try to think of similar scenarios from real life instruction I have experienced over the past few years and it was helpful. Also, the study guide LitGirl posted helped a lot! Thank you so much for that :)

catnfiddle likes this.
  16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 2, 2016

Congratulations, Joshua!

17. Joshua Winn

Joshua Winn Rookie

Jun 6, 2016

Thank you!

I read that it takes up to 4 weeks to receive your official multiple choice section score and up to 6 weeks to receive your official essay section score. Does it normally take that long or do the scores normally come back faster than that? There is a job fair in my county at the end of the month that I would like to attend but I need my official scores!

18. NikCov

NikCov Rookie

Jun 15, 2016

Congrats on passing the exam Joshua!
    I know you can't (and shouldn't) give specific question information from the test, but did you notice a large amount of specific questions on one or two areas? Or was the test a very broad snapshot of English 6-12?

I take the test next week and I'm a little unsure as the test approaches!

19. NikCov

NikCov Rookie

Jun 15, 2016

Hi Lit Girl!
    I printed the study guides you posted and have been studying them along with my own study guides and flash cards...Have you received your official scores back? or found a position in your area?

20. Joshua Winn

Joshua Winn Rookie

Jun 16, 2016

Thank you so much! I felt the test covered every competency thoroughly. I studied for the fourth competency (knowledge of a wide range of fiction, nonfiction, and informational texts) the most in my preparation as I felt it is a broad competency and I am glad I did as the questions covering the fourth competency were the hardest in my opinion. I also tried to apply teaching scenarios to the different assessments and techniques that were on the study guide LitGirl posted. I felt that also helped me greatly on the exam. Good luck!

21. tamanna rumin

tamanna rumin Rookie

Jun 19, 2016

Would you please email me? I've taken the 6-12 test 3 times and haven't passed. I would love to compare notes with someone. My email is
    TamannaRumin at gmail. com

22. tamanna rumin

tamanna rumin Rookie

Jun 19, 2016

Would you please email me? I've taken the 6-12 test 3 times and haven't passed. I would love to compare notes with someone. My email is
    TamannaRumin at gmail. com

23. Jul 15, 2016

Hey,
    I took the exam yesterday and did not pass either. Can you give me and websites or material in particular that you used for the teaching/learning strategies seeing how almost the entire test was based on those.

24. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Jul 18, 2016

Sorry, I just saw this---busy summer thus far! You'll need to purchase one of the study guides geared towards this test, and even then, the mass media part is pretty vague. I found that the author on mine merely touched on the different methods of mass media in the classroom. I would suggest going online and researching mass media in the classroom and just read some articles. A lot of it is probably just common sense as well, there isn't really anythings specific I can tell you, and I share your frustration as I didn't do particularly well on this portion. Not awful, but not happy with the results. I wish I could give more info, but honestly, one of the books (either Xam or Jane Thielmann) will probably be your best bet.

25. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Jul 18, 2016

I really liked StudyStack dot com for quizzes and matching, especially helpful for poetry terms, lit terms and teaching strategies. I found some parts of Jane Thielmans book helpful (the second half) but for the most part, I googled articles online and just read everything I possibly could.

I did also like SparkNotes dot come for literature, as it is basically a "Cliffs Notes" version of lit and poetry. Very helpful, as I did not have to actually read 4 million novels.

Elmers Notes for me were just ok. I already had a list of the lit/poetry terms and there was just so much information that was superfluous for my state (Florida). That said, I definitely read through these a few times, even after taking the test and failing the first time. I did not see anything in there that would have helped me with the questions I stumbled on.

What I struggle with is the unknown questions----it's nearly impossible to study every single book or poem out there on the off chance a random question may show up on the exam. The hardest for me is determining which teaching method is the best for "a basic skills 10th grade class"....or "an advanced 7th grade reading class...." etc. These types of questions are not in any book as far as I can tell, and probably only taught in an education class in college.

Understand higher order thinking as it WILL be your friend on this test. If you can eliminate a couple of the questions due to HOT and then choose between two, well, I'm a big fan of playing the odds. I will say, there is NO one method or resource to finding the exact questions asked on the exam. You really just need to be able to comprehend and apply the knowledge you learn.

Use several different resources....a friend liked study dot com and paid for that site. I haven't tried it and therefore cannot offer an opinion, but I utilized the heck out of the internet, blogs, websites and even consulted teachers to explain a few things to me that I needed additional feedback on.

Amaya and Teach2Top like this.
  26. Janley

Janley Rookie

Sep 26, 2016

hi I'm planning on taking this exam but I keep hearing different things about it. Should I focus more on teaching strategies more than lit terms and also if I get the two books you listed above do you think they are suffice in order to pass the test since you already took it?

27. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Oct 1, 2016

Honestly, what worked best for me in addition to the info I listed above, was just googling a specific item (critical thinking, differentiated instruction, etc), pulling up an article, reading it and then clicking on "related articles" at the bottom of Google to then read through THEM, in order to fully grasp the concept or idea. I spent several weeks doing this after I already had a solid grasp on terms and strategies. Reading any related articles helped me to connect the dots and I passed the exam. Hope this helps!

28. kwyso

kwyso Guest

Nov 28, 2016

Any suggestions on passing the FTCE k-6 Literature arts exam? My boyfriend has failed it twice now. He's having trouble with the questions that are teaching theory and pedagogy. Any suggestion on how to study that?

29. debfrab

debfrab New Member

Jan 2, 2017

Well, I haven't passed for the third time either! I passed the written portion. Something is wrong. I almost got up from the test to ask if they gave me the wrong one! The media questions were not easy. Any help I can give/ge

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 3, 2017

Media literacy looms large in English/language arts these days. I used to send people to the Media Literacy Project website, but it shut down. Try searching the web for "florida media literacy" or "fldoe media literacy"; these search strings should bring up media literacy sites or materials that are specific to Florida. You're likely to find that the state content standards in English/language arts turns up in the search: if it does, that will be a good (free!) source of terms to look up online.

31. Queet

Queet Rookie

Jan 3, 2017

Hi! Do you by any chance think these books will help for the 5-9 English exam or just 6-12?

32. teaching hopeful

teaching hopeful Rookie

Jan 4, 2017

I do not think that it will help. When I took it they asked a lot of teaching scenario questions. There was not a ton of literature or grammar related questions. I did not pass the MC or the Essay. I am trying to figure out my game plan. I have until 6/30 to pass the SAE.

33. Educator38

Educator38 Rookie

Jan 4, 2017

Good luck! You can do it.

teaching hopeful likes this.
  34. Educator38

Educator38 Rookie

Jan 5, 2017

Teaching hopeful, have you taken the test yet?

35. teaching hopeful

teaching hopeful Rookie

Jan 8, 2017

The first time I took it I did not pass either the MC or the essay. I signed up to take the MC again last Thursday and I did pass it. I did not take the essay that day. I am scheduled to take it later this month. I am not sure how to prepare for it. I planned on studying different literary terms and how they are used in different types of literature. Have you taken the test Educator38?

36. Educator38

Educator38 Rookie

Jan 8, 2017

Thank you for your response, Teaching hopeful. Congrats on passing your test!!! MC, multiple choice section: English 6-12 Test in Florida? Thanks. I am studying and have not signed up to take the MC or essay at this time, my plan is to take in about 6-8 weeks. Sounds like you are off to a good plan. Let me know if you would like to collaborate virtually. Good luck!

37. Teach2Top

Teach2Top New Member

Jan 19, 2017

My sentiments exactly, I made a lot more $$$ in my marketing career, but I want to make a difference and I love my students. I'm going to try it again. I hoped you passed.

38. piscis18

piscis18 Rookie

Feb 5, 2017

Can anyone who's taken the test recently give an example of what a "scenario" question is? I'm not asking for a specific question from the test if you've taken it (although maybe you could make one up!). I'm trying to understand what I'm preparing for. I keep reading posts from multiple users who complain that many of the questions are "scenario-based" and the answers are difficult to figure out. Plus, it sounds like everyone is having a hard time finding a ways to study/practice for this. I started studying in October and plan to finally take it for the first time in about 3 weeks.

39. piscis18

piscis18 Rookie

Feb 5, 2017

Educator38, is it safe to assume you are teaching English now? I've heard some test-takers for the FTCE English 6-12 test mention that being in classroom and actively working with the curriculum helps. I just wondered if that was your experience too.

40. piscis18

piscis18 Rookie

Feb 5, 2017

Hey, LitGirl! Now that you have experience taking the test, do you know a website to recommend that has a good list of teaching strategies for one to familiarize themselves with? I've been Goggling terms independently when I come across one I don't know, but I feel like I'm flying blind.