ESE & English 6-12 FTCE/SAE

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Teeko, Dec 5, 2015.

1. z_e_e

z_e_e New Member

Apr 13, 2016

Congrats!
    I know the sense of relief that comes with seeing your scores on paper.
    I'm glad you did well!

2. Strandm2

Strandm2 Rookie

Apr 17, 2016

I have now failed the English 6-12 for the 3rd time....Is there anyone out there in SW Florida area that has passed this exam? I need either a tutor or correct resources that will help me pass. My job depends on it. Any help would be Greatly appreciated!

3. Strandm2

Strandm2 Rookie

Apr 17, 2016

Did you pass the test? I have failed the English 6-12 three times now and feel so defeated....I need any help or advice on what to study that will make me successful.

4. Strandm2

Strandm2 Rookie

Apr 17, 2016

Hi Lit Girl,

I was hoping you could help me, too. I have failed the English 6-12 three times now. I am NOT ready to give up; I love where I teach and I am doing an amazing job. I am willing to pay for a tutor. Any help or guidance would be so greatly appreciated.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 17, 2016

The value of Elmer's lists is not that a teacher test question will ask what a given term means. Instead, the lists remind us of categories with which literature or prose can be analyzed: that is, one is expected to be able to recognize and cite examples of the terms in the literature one reads and teaches. By the same token, we don't teach grammar terms because they are interesting in and of themselves, but because using the terms as technical terms makes for much, much more efficient correction of writing.

One of the best ways to practice with literary terms, rhetorical terms, and the rest is to keep a list of examples that one encounters in one's reading and even one's media consumption. (Campaign literature is a depressingly rich source of examples of rhetorical sleight-of-hand.)

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 17, 2016

Hugs, Strandm2. What do your score reports suggest about where you're coming up short?

7. Strandm2

Strandm2 Rookie

Apr 18, 2016

Critical responses to media and effective uses at the second level.

8. Strandm2

Strandm2 Rookie

Apr 18, 2016

I know it won't help my job situation, yet I was thinking of trying the English 5-9. Any advice for study materials?

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 18, 2016

How close are you coming to passing, Strandm2?

10. Strandm2

Strandm2 Rookie

Apr 18, 2016

I believe the last one was a 177.
    I studied so hard; I really felt confident throughout this last test.
    This has consumed the last 5 months of my life on top of the costs involved....study guides, study dot com subscription, and testing fees. It's sad because I can make a lot more money doing my condo management job, yet it wouldn't have my amazing students.

Teach2Top likes this.
  11. Strandm2

Strandm2 Rookie

Apr 19, 2016

I thought my last score was a 177.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 20, 2016

FTCE is now administered by Pearson, so the scoring scale should run from 100 to 300; passing on the multiple-choice portion of English 6-12 is 200, and passing on the written-response portion is 8 out of 12 points. Competency 1's full name is "Knowledge of the effective use of the English language at the postsecondary level", and it's a wide-ranging combination of sociolinguistics, grammar, usage, mechanics, etymology, semantics, morphology, figurative language, and teaching approaches that accounts for 23% of possible multiple-choice points. Competency 5, "Critical responses to media", is less random but accounts for just 12% of multiple choice points. Materials for AP English Language and Composition might be helpful, but I'd recommend starting with the LAFS - the state content standards - and the additional tools at http://www.fldoe.org/academics/standards/florida-standards/educator-resources.stml; make full use of Wikipedia.

13. Strandm2

Strandm2 Rookie

Apr 20, 2016

Thank you. I'll keep at it.

14. NikCov

NikCov Rookie

Apr 21, 2016

Does anyone know how to send a private message? Very new to this process...in every sense of the word!!! (Career changer...)

I will be taking the test soon May 9th...and now having the sinking feeling I have been studying very old information from the 2 different types of study guides I have.

Just reading the previous post from the last month have been a GREAT help...and has given me a few new avenues to explore before my upcoming test date. But, I'll admit I'm slightly nervous!!!!!!!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 21, 2016