ESE & English 6-12 FTCE/SAE

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Teeko, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Teeko

Teeko New Member

Dec 5, 2015

Hey,

Is there anyone out there who can help me with studying for these exams? Hello...Hello

Educator38 and Kristina Miller like this.
  3. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Mar 1, 2016

Yes, please email me and I'll send you some info on the test and specific q's I took today. For some reason, when I try to post it, the site blocks my content

piscis18 and simskb like this.
  4. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Mar 1, 2016

There were a lot of crappy choices, and I felt grossly under prepared, which I absolutely was not. Based on previous test takers, I studied hardcore with the teaching strategies and literary terms. To have only 5-7 questions on these was beyond frustrating. The test did not replicate the state practice exam in any way. You have go to get very, very specific and know things/questions that are not located in any book, website or practice guide. I legitimately have no idea how to study as most of the questions seemed incredibly detailed for a test which consists of only 80 questions. My study guide/book had 400 pages!! Yes, I eliminated the answers that were obviously incorrect, but I found that many of these had more than one correct answer, and that they were looking for the BEST answer.

simskb likes this.
  5. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Mar 1, 2016

Just came home from taking the FTCE English 6-12 (a new format in Florida), and am HIGHLY frustrated. I think I aced the written essay, but that score is separate from the written/multiple choice so I won't find out my score for a few weeks. Wanted to pass along some specific questions and info that was asked, as the test in Florida changed in 2015. Sadly, the state still provides an outdated study guide, and there are NO current study guides for the revised test. I went in figuring that worst case, if I did not pass, at least I would get an idea of what areas I needed to focus on. That didn't happen. The test is nuts and feel free to read on to understand why.

I did not pass the written exam but don't know my score yet----but with only 80 questions, there is a LOT of information out there. If you had asked me yesterday how confident I was, I would have said 90% sure I would pass based on all the studying and preparing I did, via various avenues. I knew the knowledge and was sure that I would pass. About 5 questions in, I realized how screwed I was.

First, let me tell you what I DID study:

* Elmer's notes, courtesy of this site. I knew 100% of the lit terms and every single teaching method---along with the concept of how to apply each applicable strategy (guided instruction, task analysis, etc)

* The NESINC Florida practice exam. Taken and passed several times. (*Note: the exam did not resemble the practice test THEY provided one single iota).

* The NESINC Florida study guide: Checked off every single point in the outline as I "mastered the skill."

* StudyStack website: Can I just say that I LOVED this site! Load of FREE practice tests, and comprehensive testing in several different formats (matching, crossword, quizzes, etc), on the subjects I *thought* would be most prevalent on the exam (poetry/literary terms, teaching strategies, vocab, grammar, prewriting, etc). *****************StudyStack is a wonderful website and it truly helped me retain and apply everything I learned. And it made it more fun! I would highly recommend this site either way, and I will probably continue working on different subjects to strengthen my capabilities****************

I feel like there were SO MANY "best answer" subjective questions on this test, and for someone like me, who is on a career-change track, it was difficult to even weed out the wrong answers. After studying all of the information, I am very deflated with the available information. Here are some questions/info I jotted down right after taking the test, hopefully these help someone out!::::

Strandm2 and simskb like this.
  6. simskb

simskb Guest

Mar 2, 2016

Thanks for introducing me to Study Shack, and I admire your memory!! I take it March 23rd! UGH

7. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Mar 2, 2016

You'll do great!!!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2016

I am an A to Z moderator. Some posts on the Examinations for Teachers forum recently have been moderated for posting actual specific test questions: the teacher test companies can and do monitor this site for that sort of thing and can and do take action against test takers; that action can include voiding test scores, and I'd hate to see that happen to anyone. Some other posts have been moderated for including email addresses: spambots do prowl public forums looking for that sort of thing, and the site owner (who I am not) prefers that those spambots not be encouraged.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2016

10. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Mar 2, 2016

Thank you for letting me know, there will be no communication regarding specific questions.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2016

With that said, it's perfectly possible to discuss issues with the content that's tested. We've had detailed discussions of how to analyze a poem that I posted; I've held forth on a wide range of concepts in linguistics, including the proper use of apostrophes indicating possession; in threads inspired by other tests, we've dealt with how to balance chemical equations and factors in supply vs. demand. Mentioning a general category that one should know isn't out of bounds, provided the specific question is left, um, unspecified.

12. Kristina Miller

Kristina Miller Rookie

Mar 15, 2016

Hi lit girl!
    I am taking the text this Friday and would love whatever other feedback you had! I can't figure out how to private message you about this, but please feel free to email me!! :) And thank you so much for your post! :)

13. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Mar 15, 2016

What's your email address? I can send you some study guides I've put together

14. Kristina Miller

Kristina Miller Rookie

Mar 15, 2016

It's not allowing me to post my reply? Possibly because I included my email?

15. Kristina Miller

Kristina Miller Rookie

Mar 15, 2016

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  16. Kristina Miller

Kristina Miller Rookie

Mar 15, 2016

deleted post

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 15, 2016

You might want to delete those and send a private message so you aren't giving your email address to anyone who reads this site. Hint, hint, there are 720 people reading this site and only 6 of us are members.

18. Kristina Miller

Kristina Miller Rookie

Mar 15, 2016

I would, but I can't figure out how to privately message someone. I don't typically go around giving out my email! :)

Lit Girl likes this.
  19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 15, 2016

Kristina, you need a few more posts under your belt in education or test subforums before you can initiate private messages, or what the new A to Z forum software calls "conversations". So does Lit Girl.

20. Mrs.GatorGirl

Mrs.GatorGirl New Member

Mar 17, 2016

Hi There!
    I'm taking the test next Friday and am slightly freaking out after reading these posts!
    Hello Lit Girl!
    I am also taking the test this month on the 25th and am worried about experiencing the same thing that happened to you. I have been using the practice tests on exam edge. I found them to e very helpful for the General Knowledge Math test but since the English subject area has changed recently, I am concerned.
    I was trying to message you privately but couldn't figure it out. If it's not too much to ask, I would greatly appreciate your assistance and insight!
    Thank you either way in advance!
    Warm Regards!

21. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Mar 18, 2016

There is a thread on here if you search "Elmers Notes" which has quite a bit of info. I liked Study Stack website for practice tests and it's a free site which is fantastic---Matching, quizzes and flashcards, which all were really helpful to me, especially as it was a nice change from just reading a book or flipping through index cards. I thought the ftce study guide and nesinc practice guides were jokes, wouldn't bother with either of those. You will be given specific questions on best teaching method for a certain scenario, so you need to really review the teaching strategies, and also, which cases are best suited for each strategy. There were several mass media questions on my test as well, so know which source is the best for a specific scenario as well. Not so many lit terms, sadly, as I knew about 200 of those. Many questions on specific poems and plays, so know some of the running themes on the popular ones. You will need to know a bit of early history of the English language and periods, this was covered extensively in the book, but not many q's on the test that I took. If you post your email in two separate parts, I can email you the study guide I saved from Elmers notes on this site, as well as just some lit terms, mass media terms and teaching strategy definititions I put together. I'll respond right away and then you can delete your email address post.

piscis18 and Mary Navarre like this.
  22. Mrs.GatorGirl

Mrs.GatorGirl New Member

Mar 18, 2016

It wouldn't let me use the at symbol or the dot so I had to spell it out.

Thank you again!

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 18, 2016

People, please don't post email addresses, even in crypto-language, and please don't encourage each other to post email addresses. The site owner's policy is not to allow them so members won't have to deal with spambots infesting their emails. (As I type this, there are 10 real live members online and 120 robots. Hint, hint.)

Email addresses and the like are properly shared via private message or "conversation". Make a few posts that follow the rules, and you'll be eligible to launch private messages soon.

24. z_e_e

z_e_e New Member

Apr 7, 2016

Hi Lit Girl,
    I've come across several of your posts, and I would greatly appreciate your help. I'm scheduled to take the test at the end of the month and everything that I've come across on other sites is vague or outdated. I've been using Study Stack, which is great, and I found Elmer's notes (though I'm not sure which ones I should look through).
    I was wondering if you would be willing to send me the study guide that you put together.
    Thanks for your help!

25. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Apr 7, 2016

I liked Elmers literary terms, but I did not think there were many of these on the test, just a few, really. I would say know the basic terms like metaphors, similies, onomotopeia, couplet, etc. I liked Study Stack for the lit terms as the matching section really helped me learn them all fairly quickly. If you put "teaching strategies" into the search bar on Study Stack, you'll get a lot of options to choose from. I would say know a lot of the literary works (Hamlet, R & J, TS Eliot, etc) and understand how to implement the teaching strategies, especially the higher order thinking so that you can choose the best answer. There were probably 10 questions regarding mass media as well as technology, so really make sure you review that section.

I did not do well on the mass media section, but honestly, I only gave this section a cursory glance as I felt that I would more than likely be able to figure these out easily (wrong), and I did not anticipate so many questions (my fault).

Know persuasive and informative text, audience response, know the different eras of literature and authors associated with these periods. There are many questions on specific works, including poetry, plays and novels. Again, Study Stack was a great resource for me as I could do the matching.

Please note that this is a career change for me, so my areas of weakness may not be yours.

As far as the essay...5 weeks later and they have still not posted my score so no clue if I passed or not. I think a few people covered this, but they give you an option to review a poem or a short story. I chose the story and feel like I did well, but again, scores not out so I can't really say for sure at this point.

As I do not have access to private messaging yet (newer member), I can't send you anything. I am also using the FTCE guide, and I really don't love the first half at all, but the second half seems more in line with what will be on the actual exam. The practice tests in the back are pretty good, and make you think...especially about the mass media & teaching scenarios. If you buy that book, I'd say just skim through the first half (use the table of contents to sort out what you need the most help with), and focus more on the last 150 pages or so.

a few things to know:
    Which citation to use
    active listening
    higher order learning
    basic grammar
    borrowed words
    persuasive/argumentative/informative texts

I liked sparknotes online for the poetry/literary works review. Basically, it's a cliffs notes version and gives you the plot, character analysis, theme/symbols, etc. A great little website and it's also free. Was able to skim through fairly quickly and make some notes on what I feel may be on the test (what language was a story written in, what is the text of the language, what period was it written in, who was the author, what kind of story tragedy/comedy/romance was it). I put together some of the more famous authors, poems and lit works that I could think of, but these are just my notes, and there could certainly be more that I'm leaving out and didn't study on. I was pretty good at these so I didn't give it a big review and did fine on this part of the exam. The questions ARE specific though, so that's why I suggest sparknotes, as it will eliminate the need to actually read 4,000 poems and plays. Also, I went to Study Stack and did a search on famous authors/shakespeare/lit periods, etc and was able to do many practice tests and matching, so if you need extra help in this area, that's what I would suggest.

Read up on:
    Hamlet
    King Lear
    The Color Purple
    The Great Gatsby
    Emily Dickinson poems
    TS Eliot
    Thomas Pain
    MLK and his speeches
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Iliad
    Odyssey
    Olaudah Equiano
    Shakespeare
    Emerson
    Famous Russian authors
    Macbeth
    The light brigade poem
    Huckleberry Finn
    Tom Sawyer
    The Catcher in the Rye
    Canterbury Tales
    Chaucer
    Uncle Toms Cabin
    A Midsummer Nights Dream
    War and Peach
    Anna Karenina
    Fathers and Sons
    Nora Zeale Hurston
    Cesar Chavez
    Scarlet Letter
    Red Badge of Courage
    Moby Dick
    Walt Whitman
    John Steinbeck
    Toni Morrison

Teach2Top and NikCov like this.
  26. z_e_e

z_e_e New Member

Apr 10, 2016

Thank you so much, Lit Girl!

Your list will go a long way and it's very much appreciated.

I majored in English Lit in college and I got a minor in English Language Arts Education, so I'll extensively review what you listed.

What kind of study guide are you using if you don't mind me asking?

Is it the one by Xam?

27. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Apr 11, 2016

I am using the FTCE 6-12 by Dr Jane Thielman. Again, I HATED the first half. WAY too much information. The second half seems much simpler to understand and encompasses much more exam-friendly information.

The study guide is just something I put together for myself, based on my experience with the test. You should be fine with the literature, as I said, the lit questions are very very specific, so you do have to know the premise, style and period of the poem/play/story.

Read up on mass media and technology, as there were probably 10 questions on these.

know the best way to assess comprehension
    know the best way to assess listening

Know how and when to apply each teaching strategy, as you will be given a scenario and will need to choose the BEST answer. Please note that all answers are probably correct, but they are looking for the best answer---so it's not simple enough to eliminate wrong answers, you just have to truly understand the process. Know and understand higher learning, bc that will help greatly
    [​IMG]

Teach2Top and NikCov like this.
  28. nguyenml

nguyenml New Member

Apr 11, 2016

Oh man... I am taking my test tomorrow and now Im super nervous. Ive been studying for the past 2 weeks, but now am afraid I have studied the wrong material.

29. z_e_e

z_e_e New Member

Apr 12, 2016

I hope you did well!
    How was it?

30. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Apr 12, 2016

I finally got the results back from my essay (March 1), and I passed! I was confident I did, but seeing it in writing makes it real! Now, just need to retake that monster of a multiple choice :)

For anyone wondering about the essay portion, I chose the short story over the poem, and I used the 5 paragraph form with an intro, three main points and a conclusion. I used literary terms and direct quotes from the story, and managed to complete it and do a quick edit in the time allotted. It was not a long essay, but I tried to focus on the points I was making as succinctly as possible, as I did not want to run out of time. I did the rough draft first, and then went back through to revise and pretty it up.

nguyenml and z_e_e like this.
  31. Lit Girl

Lit Girl Rookie

Apr 12, 2016

Nguyenml, how did you do on your test?

32. z_e_e

z_e_e New Member

Apr 13, 2016

Congrats!
    I know the sense of relief that comes with seeing your scores on paper.
    I'm glad you did well!

33. Strandm2

Strandm2 Rookie

Apr 17, 2016

I have now failed the English 6-12 for the 3rd time....Is there anyone out there in SW Florida area that has passed this exam? I need either a tutor or correct resources that will help me pass. My job depends on it. Any help would be Greatly appreciated!

34. Strandm2

Strandm2 Rookie

Apr 17, 2016

Did you pass the test? I have failed the English 6-12 three times now and feel so defeated....I need any help or advice on what to study that will make me successful.

35. Strandm2

Strandm2 Rookie

Apr 17, 2016

Hi Lit Girl,

I was hoping you could help me, too. I have failed the English 6-12 three times now. I am NOT ready to give up; I love where I teach and I am doing an amazing job. I am willing to pay for a tutor. Any help or guidance would be so greatly appreciated.

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 17, 2016

The value of Elmer's lists is not that a teacher test question will ask what a given term means. Instead, the lists remind us of categories with which literature or prose can be analyzed: that is, one is expected to be able to recognize and cite examples of the terms in the literature one reads and teaches. By the same token, we don't teach grammar terms because they are interesting in and of themselves, but because using the terms as technical terms makes for much, much more efficient correction of writing.

One of the best ways to practice with literary terms, rhetorical terms, and the rest is to keep a list of examples that one encounters in one's reading and even one's media consumption. (Campaign literature is a depressingly rich source of examples of rhetorical sleight-of-hand.)

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 17, 2016

Hugs, Strandm2. What do your score reports suggest about where you're coming up short?

38. Strandm2

Strandm2 Rookie

Apr 18, 2016

Critical responses to media and effective uses at the second level.

39. Strandm2

Strandm2 Rookie

Apr 18, 2016

I know it won't help my job situation, yet I was thinking of trying the English 5-9. Any advice for study materials?

40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 18, 2016

How close are you coming to passing, Strandm2?

41. Strandm2

Strandm2 Rookie

Apr 18, 2016

I believe the last one was a 177.
    I studied so hard; I really felt confident throughout this last test.
    This has consumed the last 5 months of my life on top of the costs involved....study guides, study dot com subscription, and testing fees. It's sad because I can make a lot more money doing my condo management job, yet it wouldn't have my amazing students.

Teach2Top likes this.