"Escape" behavior (wanting to get out of work)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Jun 14, 2015.

1. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 14, 2015

[​IMG]

I've heard about these four reasons for misbehavior before. I'm wondering what you all do to help kids who misbehave for escape - mostly, when they just hate working. I had one kid this year who was absolutely adverse to work of any kind. The student made class so miserable that many kids couldn't get work done on a day when they had decided not to work.

I found an article about dealing with escape behavior (http://theautismhelper.com/behavior-week-escape-maintained-behaviors-behaviors-work/) and, though it is for autism, it applies to the child a lot.

What works for you, in your experience, for motivating the kids who you've had who hate anything to do with school? I upped my consequences, I upped my rewards, but nothing really motivated this kid to do anything. The student just just had zero motivation to try. I worked to build a relationship with the child, but it was hard due to the kid's attitude and dislike of all things school (which extended to teachers, classmates, and even "fun" classes like PE and art). The child came from a family where anything that they wanted was just provided, no work or good behavior necessary.

In a future scenario, I know I could try modifying the assignment and breaking it up into smaller tasks, but this child was so adverse to even looking at an assignment and picking up a pencil, I'm not sure that would have worked! I know I can also work to make my lessons more engaging, but sometimes worksheets are just boring but necessary. How much should a teacher be modifying their instruction for these kids? Isn't giving a shortened or modified assignment for a capable child who just chooses not to work giving in to exactly what they want?

There's not an easy answer, I know, just hoping to start a conversation. :)

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 14, 2015

These children aren't easy...there is no doubt about that. The one thing that I have found that works best with these students is "grandma's rule" that Fred Jones talks about. This is the saying, "There is no dessert until you are done with your dinner." In the classroom, I have fun learning group games or activities for a short period of time. I make it well known to the class that all schoolwork must be done before they can participate in the game or activity. This works well as the student dislikes having do their work while everyone else gets to play the game. I remind them that as soon as their work is done (and done well), they can then join in the game or activity.

4. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Jun 14, 2015

"Grandma's rule"... I like that! :)

This particular kid would just sit there for an hour and complain that they were not getting to do the fun activity. But I do think it's a good policy. I need to work on getting some more group games for next year to up motivation for rewards like this. I love Fred Jones and the idea of PAT.

5. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jun 14, 2015

I realize that you're teaching elementary school, but this is my approach for my high school students "escape behavior".....

J – I’m not Jimmy Fallon and this ain’t “The Tonight Show.” I’m not here to entertain and not everything in life is “fun.”

F – Your final grade if you don’t do the work.

S – Summer school awaits in your future.

P – Profession. This is your profession, preparing you to be punctual, meet deadlines, research, and gain general knowledge. Hopefully, this is getting you ready either for college or the working world as a functionally literate adult.

So, the acronym is JFSP, which spells........well, it doesn't spell anything and it's not "trendy" like S-E-A-T, :lol: but it's how I approach apathetic students.

6. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jun 15, 2015

First, I have to say I really don't like that graphic as I don't think all functions of behavior can be summed up into those categories. If I were to used categories, it would be something like, "To get something, get out of something, avoid something." Take "attention" for example - this is one of those most over-assumed functions of behavior, and is poorly defined. Consider a function of social interaction - would this be considered "attention?" Probably not.

In terms of escape behavior, it really depends on the "why" - is the child avoiding work because it's too hard, not interesting, distracted because of anxiety, distracted because of inattention, tired, etc. Getting as specific as possible is the first step in identifying what to do about the issue.

7. adeeb

adeeb Rookie

Jun 15, 2015

Great strategy. My only concern about it is the learning aspect. Although you will get the student to complete his work with an acceptable level of quality, how well is he learning the material?

I agree with this. otterpop, have you tried to find out why the student dislikes work and school so much? Maybe a conversation with the parent could help. I think the key here is understanding what exactly it is that is causing such disruptive behavior in the student, and my guess is that it's probably more than having grown up in a privileged environment. Once you understand the causes, it will be easier to connect with the student and address the issue.

Another idea is to try using different types of content. Could you, perhaps, use a video or an interactive game instead of a worksheet for one class? If you can, I would give that a try and see how it fares with the students, especially the disruptive one.

8. applecore

applecore Devotee

Jun 17, 2015

:lol: and :thumb: