Erin Cordon Planner -was it worth it?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Geologygirl, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jun 29, 2014

I am considering buying one but with shipping and the added class list/grade papers I would need to order it would come out to like $82. So are they really worth that much or are they overrated? I wanted to treat myself for getting my first full time teaching job but $82 is a bit steep when I think of all the other things I could purchase for my first classroom.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2014

I've had two. I like them, and if I have the extra money, I will continue to buy them. However, I think I'd spend the money on something different as a first year teacher. The most used portion of the planner (the day-to-day plans) is no different than a $10 planner from the teacher store. (I would say dollar store planner, but those pages are soooo thin!)

4. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2014

I love EC!!! I am their biggest fan and love ALL of my EC products (I've bought tons of things from them over the years).

I always buy one EC planner (the regular one) and 5 or 6 calendar notebooks (the $50 ones) each year. I prefer using the notebooks to the planners because I am more of a list maker/note-taker, but I run through them really fast. I have never wanted the teacher planner because I know I would never use most of the features. Yet, I gave a few of the teacher planners (instead of the regular ones) as gifts last August and they were huge hits.

They are pricey, but if you can afford it - I highly recommend them. Of course, you can find other things cheaper, but I just love EC (everything I get from them is super cute and fun.) You will love yours.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2014

My teammate had one and I always thought it was adorable. However, she said it wasn't really worth the money and she won't be getting one again this year. In our school, everything is so technology based that a pencil/paper planner is basically obsolete. We all use google calendar, and other teachers need access so they can see when meetings are, so even if she put things in her own planner, she had to update it on google anyway. Same for things like plans or meeting notes- we use google docs. So she would want to handwrite them in her planner but then would have to type them into google docs anyway.

6. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 29, 2014

There is not a lot of room in it for me to write down my schedule. You should try looking at TeachersPayTeachers for one before purchasing it. Last year, I used one that I bought at Staples.

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 30, 2014

Mine was so cute, but did not work great for me. I won't get one this year.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2014

I agree with waterfall. The last couple of districts I worked for were very technologically oriented and calendars, lesson plans, etc were posted on line. Paper planners were not used at all. You may want to check with your new school first to see what they require.

9. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2014

I absolutely love mine. The pages I will not need I replace with something that I will use using double stick tape. I do not have anymore $10 off coupons but if you ask around you might find one. We do everything electronically but a backup written copy does not take much extra time and has saved me on more than one occasion. Especially when someone in the head office did something in our grading program and every grade from the 1st semester was lost. I did not have to scramble for grades because they were all in my planner.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2014

Same here. My school is all about Google and all my plans are on Google Drive. I have not done pencil and paper for quite some time now.

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 30, 2014

I ordered one about a month ago (birthday present to myself). I love being able to design the collage cover. I just got an e-mail from them saying they are behind and it will be another few weeks until I get it. So if you're going to do it for school-you may want to do it soon.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 30, 2014

Same here. I think lesson plan books are becoming a thing of the past. Plus, it's so much easier to change your plans when they are electronic.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 30, 2014

Would you ladies please describe how you do your plans on Google? Do you use a spreadsheet or your own forms?

14. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2014

I used an Erin Condren life planner last year as my lesson planner. I loved it. I was teaching music and the life planner worked better for me. I ordered a teacher lesson planner this year because I thought I'd be back in the regular classroom. I ended up getting hired to teach music again, but I think the teacher planner will work for this job.

They're expensive, but I used mine enough for it to be worth the price. I also ordered in May because they have 25% off things for teachers during the whole month.

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 30, 2014

I've done it a number of different ways. I've used a Google form to give me a detailed lesson plan. I've also just planned on Google calendar and linked the digital forms of my worksheets to the calendar. This was useful for students who were out for long periods of time since I have the calendar posted on my website.

16. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2014

I just use a google doc the same way you would use a regular word document. My lesson plans are basically bulleted lists. I put them on google docs so that my para has instant access to them without having to ask me, and she can look up something whenever she wants.

17. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 30, 2014

I like having my planbook private and have enjoyed using this free site- http://www.planbookedu.com/ It helps that I can access it at school (I keep my work laptop at work) or at home. If you pay $25 you can add standards, print it out, and e-mail it (should you need ways to share it with others).

18. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 30, 2014

This was my exact same problem. I had a planner that I used for about a month and then it just became a hassle to hand write everything and then type it up anyway. So, in the end, it wasn't worth the money.

19. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 30, 2014

Our grade level uses Google Spreadsheet and we just have each column designated for objective, activities, materials, assessment, etc. so we can easily share them with one another.

20. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 1, 2014

I use my own form in a google doc. My plans are very basic. I use tables for each day with the day, standard, activities, and homework.

21. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 1, 2014

Same here.

My principal requires us to do our lesson plans in Google. That way, anyone can access them (SPED teachers, OT, Speech Pathologists, etc.).

22. Linzi

Linzi Rookie

Jul 1, 2014

Oh man I love my planner. My husband's mom got me one last summer, and I used it all year. It held up really well and kept EVERYthing organized. I will spend the money to have one again this year.

23. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2014

I do not re-type my lesson plans, I scan them into the computer from my planner and put them on the Edline.

24. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jul 11, 2014

SO I went ahead and took the plunge and got one as a present to my self for getting a good job and making it through my temp position last year. It arrived today and it is very pretty. I can not wait to start planning and etc. I will use it to do broad planning and figure out what to do day to day. For my actual lesson plans I type those up since they are detailed.The planer will help keep me on track though and help keep more stuff in one place. I used to think i did not need hard copies of stuff (I thought electronic was ok), but then at the end of last year they wanted hard /handwritten copies of all the grades and other stuff so it helps to have it all in one place.

I am very excited. It is like Christmas in July today!:thumb: