EOY letdown?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by catnfiddle, Jun 25, 2010.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 25, 2010

Technically I'm not a new teacher, but this is my first year with my own classroom. Classes ended on May 28th, graduation was on June 12th and summer testing ended this afternoon. Right now I'm almost depressed realizing that I have to let this amazing first school year go into its place in the history books. I'm having a tough time remembering that my school email will be empty until August. It's an odd sense of listlessness.

Is anyone else feeling a little bit of the end of the school year blues?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2010

The end of a school year is emotionally and physically exhausting...letting go of kids with whom you have learned and laughed, packing up, the paperwork (!)...Give yourself a little 'recovery' time and then find yourself some summer fun...your email box will be full again soon enough and you'll have a new batch of eager learners to fill your time!! Rest, relax, rejuvenate. :love:

4. Señorita V

Señorita V Rookie

Jun 26, 2010

You really just made me feel good about this upcoming school year. I will be a new teacher in the fall and I have been reading a ton of horror stories, but your one positive note about missing your students and having to let them go lets me know that it is all worthwhile. :) Thanks, catnfiddle. I hope you enjoy your summer and that this upcoming school year is even better than the last.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2010

I LOVE my job.

But I've got to tell you: As of this morning my whole family is done with school until close to Labor Day.

I don't have to find another sock until then! No lunches or snacks to pack, no nagging the kids about stopping what they're enjoying because "it's a school night." No alarm clocks.

Today I'm taking the girls to the library to sign up for the summer reading program; they'll do that in conjunction with the summer reading program in their school.

Two long months with my family... I LOVE it!!

I can see what you're saying, and think it's wonderful. And by mid August I'll be looking forward to getting back to school and giving my kids some structure.

But right now I'm in heaven :)

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 26, 2010

Czacza and Aliceccc, you are always such wonderful voices of reason. My Smom told me to give it a few years and I'll be able to let go more easily because I'll be used to the process and REALLY need my summers at this point.

Señorita V, welcome to the boards! Don't let the horror stories get to you. We come here to gripe because we love our chosen vocations. Sometimes things (including ourselves) interfere with our ability to be the perfect teacher in the perfect classroom. We use this forum to get it off of our collective chests, get good advice and move on.

Happy summer, I suppose!

7. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2010

yes I am often torn as well. My students become such a apart of my life all year long - and then POOF - its gone. I look forward to summer and about 2 or 3 weeks in I start longing for school again. Enjoy the quiet while you have it and do some preparing for next year if it helps keep you busy (that is what I do). The rumble of kids will return soon ;0)