EOG question - can students use highlighters??

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, May 20, 2012.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 20, 2012

At my last school, highlighters were banned from the EOG. I think there were concerns they might use them on the bubble sheets.

I'm at a different school this year. Our secretary emailed us asking how many highlighters we need (if we want to use them.)

I think it would really encourage the kids to go back and annotate their answers, something I've taught them allllllll year. When you're 8 years old, there's something so magical about a highlighter vs underlining with a pencil, lol.

So before I pass them out on the Big Day, I want to be sure it's not illegal! Does anyone know? Thanks!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 20, 2012

Sorry, I have no idea.

But our kids aren't allowed to use them on exams. I think it makes cheating far too easy.

IN CLASS, they're fine. Just not on exams.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 20, 2012

Can't use them in Ohio, but you should check for your state.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 20, 2012

I'm confused, how does it let them cheat??

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 20, 2012

Our students are encouraged to use them on their proficiency tests. This year there was a big push in the English classes to teach proper highlighting and annotating techniques in preparation for the proficiencies. I think that we had higher scores this year on the reading exams, and I'm sure that the highlighting played a part. If you can do it, and if you students understand how to highlight and what to look for, you should definitely push it.

7. MathTeacher29

MathTeacher29 Rookie

May 20, 2012

I know that my students use them on the Algebra 1 EOC's and our testing coordinator said it was ok. They just can't use pens or colored pencils I think.

8. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

May 20, 2012

Read your state testing manual to get the accurate information for your state. Our state department of ed puts these online, and I bet yours does, too. We could use them when we had paper tests and passed them out to every student when we handed out pencils and scratch paper.

Now, we are completely online, but even in the testing program, there is a highlighter tool.

Edit: Found it in just a few mouse clicks

Proctor's Guide

Highlighters are addressed on page 3.

9. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 20, 2012

Our P came into class during Algebra I EOC review and suggested the students either underline parts of the question or use a highlighter. They ARE allowed to mark in the books, so I assume they are also allowed to use a highlighter.

If you aren't sure, check with your P or Testing Coordinator.

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 20, 2012

Thank you! I will ask my P just to be sure, but looks like it's ok

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 20, 2012

The state of NC allows it IF they are used to using them all year. Local districts can ban them (as mine did). Their fear is that they will use the highlighter on the scan sheets.
    The only time a student at my school has used a highlighter at school was this year. He broke his writing arm the night before testing started. He already had atrocious handwriting, so he had mark in test book with the highlighter. The principal, test coordinator, and myself (homeroom teacher) had to bubble his sheet in for him after testing was over each day.

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 20, 2012

I about had a heart attack. I somehow didn't read 'review' the first time I read this through. I about freaked because that would break the Code of Ethics AND cause a misadministration for the testing to be interrupted. I was thinking "REALLY?!!" but I've got it now :)