Envisions math

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by teacher82A, Sep 30, 2008.

1. teacher82A

teacher82A Rookie

Sep 30, 2008

So after the first month of teaching the new Envisions math program, I still do not feel comfortable and it's so overwhelming! There's just so many components. The reteach homework is so wordy and cluttered with visuals that the majority of my kids still struggle with reteach and I've only given one enrichment sheet to a child (gt - see my gt thread) and he struggled with that. My teammate (an overachiever) is basically going home each evening and cutting/pasting/revising all of the assignments to make it easier for our kids (I told her she's doing way too much). And the textbook is overstimulating as well. My class just took the topic 2 test (based on our county's vsc standards) and over half failed. I'm ready to quit because of this program, my students' performance (I spend TONS of time reteaching), and many other factors! Anybody else feel this way about this program? :mad:

3. hoku625

hoku625 Rookie

Oct 6, 2008

I completely agree! Our kids failed the units that we taught and it's not only our grade level. The text moves too quickly and there's not enough time for practice.

I tried to use the reteaching as a follow along visual as I teach. I use the textbook only for the kids who get the reteaching practice sheet and are ready for independent work. (not very many!!)

We decided that we need to make our own assessments and do a lot of cutting and pasting in order to make this program work.:dizzy:

4. teacher_cc

teacher_cc Rookie

Oct 9, 2008

We are also using this program, and I completely agree with you 100%. Actually, as I was reading your post, it felt like you were reading my mind! We recently took the Unit 2 test and the results were similar. It's frustrating, I feel like I'm a bad teacher, not sure what else to do. It seems very fast paced, and I can tell the students get a bit frustrated. :(

5. kbteach

kbteach Rookie

Nov 29, 2008

I teach in MD too and am struggling with the fifth grade math. There is a lot of planning necessary. I usually do the interactive learning 1st or the visual bridge ( I write it on an overhead or type the problem and give to students to work in pairs or as teams.) This is how I lead into the lesson. Sometimes I turn these problems into a BCR to do together, since we don't have BCR's created by the county yet. Then I do a few problems from the book or I make them up if the book doesn't have good ones. I've been trying to move to the centers as quickly as possible. Most of these are very good practice, but we don't get to them every day. There is a lot of picking and choosing. I'm sure the technology that goes with the program is great but our school lacks the equipment necessary. For homework, I copy the Reteach and Practice side and will tell them to pick 5 or 6 problems to do for HW. Sometimes I tell them to pick 3 computation problems and 2 word problems, depends on the night. If the worksheet is really awful, I make up my own, but I don't do this often. Hopefully this helps.

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 29, 2008

We have this as well and it is new this year. In addition to this we have lessons from the district that we have to fit in. There are so many components to the Envision that it is hard to keep it straight. I think the stories in the big book are just a waste of time and the student handouts (the colorful ones on the newsprint paper)don't have enought repetition. The other thing is, the pacing the district provides is entirely different than the Envisions so we skip all over the place.

While it looked really cool and all encompassing, it is actually confusing. I've yet to use one of the CDs.

7. kinderkc

kinderkc Companion

Nov 29, 2008

I am new to envision (as many of you are im sure) and i feel like it moves too quickly as well. We havent used any of the unit tests yet. All we use is the magazines. I go throught the first half of it then let them work independtly on the rest.

8. baker27

baker27 New Member

Dec 8, 2008

Our district just sent all of teachers to a week long, 40 hour training. Before I was lost. Now I feel really comfortable using it. They explained that the most important components are the Interactive Learning, Learning Bridge, and the Guided Practice. Unlike the previous programs, Independent Practice is not as important as the Interactive Learning (self-discovery method). Independent Practice should only take up about 10 - 15 minutes of your time. I start with the Daily Spiral Review, and we only do about 3 problems. Then I move into the Interactive Learning followed by the Visual Learning Bridge. After that, we do about 5 Guided Practice problems. Then the students work on Independent Practice for about 10 - 15 minutes. I walk around and assist where needed. Then we do the Quick Check (I cut off the last question, because there is a lot of writing and not enough time). If they miss zero or one, they get the Practice Homework. If they miss more, then they get the Reteaching Homework. I then replaced my morning math with the math centers. The students love it! (Sorry. I tried to get 40 hours of training in about 3 minutes.).