Envision Math

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CiniMini, Jul 21, 2010.

1. CiniMini

CiniMini Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

I have a question for those of you who teach Envision math. We will be starting this series this year. Back when we voted on our new curriculum we didn't even look at the sample because we all wanted Saxon. However, despite the majority of the county voting for Saxon we still ended up with Envision. It's a mystery and currently a source of contention around here.

Anyway...Does Envision come with some sort of calendar/math meeting type set up like Saxon? Or do I need to go out and buy something to use? I feel like a "Morning Math Meeting/Calendar time" thing is vital and I don't want to turn around in August and not have the things I need for it. (I changed grade levels and the teacher who was in here before me apparently threw out all her Saxon Math Meeting stuff or I'd just reuse that.)

3. JTeach619

JTeach619 Companion

Jul 21, 2010

I just moved to a school district that adopted this series for the 2010/2011 school year. I would also like to know any opinions about this program. From viewing the online inservice videos it doesn't seem to me that a calendar routine is part of the program but then again I haven't looked through all the materials at school (they are in the media center).

4. Mrs.Schwartz

Mrs.Schwartz Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

I student taught and LTS in 3rd grade last year in a district that uses Envision Math. The computer games were pretty good, the kids seemed to really like them, but the teachers seemed frustrated with the curriculum because it was too low for the average-high and high learners. I liked it because there was not a doubt in my mind what I should be teaching/saying/doing because it was so scripted. For a new teacher, that was comforting.

Sorry, I don't know about the calendar since I was in 3rd, but I thought I'd let you know what I knew.

5. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Jul 21, 2010

My district will be using enVision this year.

As far as I know, there is no calendar time integrated in. My district is keeping Every Day Counts as a part of OUR curriculum, though. I agree- I think this time is a tremendous benefit for my kids.

Mrs. S- I went to my district's "training" on enVision a few weeks ago and that was my thought, too. The content seemed low.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 21, 2010

I only "kind of" use it :blush: so don't quote me, but I do not remember any kind of calendar elements. We also still used Everyday Counts.

I think the work is skewed too low as well-I really had to supplement to challenge my kiddos. I do however love the online assessment generator because our common assessments have to be research based and all you do is check off the objectives you want and it gives you the questions.

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2010

We adopted enVision for this year as well (previously had Saxon). I used some of the samples for the last few units of last year, and I thought it did a much better job of supporting my higher learners, especially compared to Saxon. There's a lot more problem solving and room for extensions. Ironically, I also liked that it wasn't as scripted.

(I can't answer the calendar question, though--I think our primary teachers are keeping the stuff from Saxon)

8. texteacher

texteacher Companion

Jul 21, 2010

I've used Envision for two years in second grade and really hated it...I think it has a lot of potential but the program is in too many pieces. It doesn't have a calendar activity that I remember of but for all I know it might be in one of the many boxes it came in.

9. NC1stGradeTeach

NC1stGradeTeach Rookie

Jul 24, 2010

My school adopted envision math and the last school year was the first year using it. I really liked some parts of the program--i found some topics were really covered with lots of lessons but other topics were covered in one or two lessons--i loved the slim teacher editions for each topic and the problem of the day--i really liked the CD that can be used to introduce each lesson--Overall I liked using envision math but I didnot rely solely on envision math for math instruction

10. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Jul 24, 2010

We have used Envision math for the past two years and I like some of it, and some I didn't. I like the spiral review because unlike Saxon....it doesn't spiral. That part I don't like!
    I like the lessons on the computer but sometimes those get boring.
    They don't ahve a math meeting but I just kept the saxon one and used that beause I agree, those are way to vital and the kids need them.

You will like Envision, but you have to play with it! :)

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 24, 2010

That's my foremost concern because our county has adopted this series as well. Supplement, supplement, supplement. That has become the story of my life in math class this coming year and this past year. Most humorous, I used to teach an intervention math class (three years), and this program as well as Investigations (the combination we use) would have been SUPERIOR for that group.

To answer your question, I would search "Calendar Math" online or use materials you locate elsewhere.

12. aThriftyTeacher

aThriftyTeacher Rookie

Jul 24, 2010

My district is adopting Envisions this fall and I can't say that I remember any calendar activities when we had our training. All I can say is that I'm in love with it! Everything is differentiated for all learners and it's all around a great program! We had Everyday Math which I hated! But that's due to me teaching on a military post. With so many children coming and going, the spiraling in that program just didn't work.

13. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jul 25, 2010

We also are moving to enVision for next school year. I have been developing flipcharts for the Topics by using the website. We haven't received all of our materials, but the all of the materials on the publisher's website. It has been great going through the material. I think I am really going to like enVision. We had Saxon for some many years and it wasn't working (at least according to our test scores).