enVision Math Program

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 4alicat, Jan 23, 2009.

1. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Jan 23, 2009

My district is looking at new math curriculums for next year. They are leaning towards the enVision math program. Any comments on this program? I have an inservice coming up soon that will give me more info, but I like to hear from those who already use it & see what they think about it. Thank you.

3. yearroundteach

yearroundteach Companion

Jan 23, 2009

I'm under quite a bit of stress right now and Envision is a big part of it; so I'll try to stay as diplomatic as possible while still being truthful.

Envision came to my school at the beginning of this year. Throughout the first few trainings we were all incredibly excited. It is a good program in theory. It takes the students through different ways of learning from listening, to hands on, to guided practice, and then independent practice. It also has differentiation with centers and assignments.

There are a few issues I have with it. One is that it isn't realistic with the amount of time needed to teach a topic. For example, it only had 8 lessons (I believe that's the number but I don't have it in front of me right now) to teach money. It moved very, very quickly. I ended up having to supplement a great deal because it went from teaching the coins one day and then expecting students to be able to count them the next day. Money is one of the hardest concepts for 2nd graders to learn and the program doesn't seem to recognize this. It is like this for many of the topics. It implies that you only have to supplement on rare occasions but they are only mentioning the things that are completely omitted. They don't mention the supplementation that must be done just to allow students to fully grasp a concept before it rushes on.

My other main issue with the program is that myself and my colleagues are finding it impossible to fit the program in daily. There is just too much to do, too much transition, etc. Which means alot of the times the centers get skipped which is the main part of differentiating that the program is known for.

This is just my two cents. At some of the trainings that I've gone to, there have been teachers that absolutely love it. Hopefully some teachers here will be able to offer that perspective to you as well.

4. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Jan 23, 2009

I completely agree with yearroundteach. The pacing guide for EnVision is a bit out of whack. I had to supplement materials for a couple topics (didn't think my students could grasp addition with regrouping in 4 lessons) I definitely feel that there is a lot I am not getting too, but I feel that is a good thing. Can you imagine a program where there wasn't enough?

Some things I do really like. There is a DVD intro for each lesson. Hopefully you have a projector. They have center activities for each topic. Now some are pretty lame but it does provide additional practice in a fun for students that complete their work.

5. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2009

Do you need a projector? Would a tv suffice?

6. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Jan 23, 2009

THANK YOU very much for your comments! This will really help as I look at it more in-depth at my inservice.

7. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Jan 23, 2009

You'd think a TV would work but the DVD doesn't play like a regular DVD. For example: when you run the DVD on your PC it has to open up your web browser (Firefox, Safari, etc.) So your viewing area is not the whole screen. A big annoyance. I e-mailed their support and I was told it had to be run through a web browser even though you don't need to be online.

8. PinkFish

PinkFish Rookie

Jan 23, 2009

I am a first year teacher and I really like some aspects of Envision. However it was VERY hard to figure everything out. It took my team about 3 months to figure out how to use everything. I like the technology that envision has and the kids love the worksheets but the pacing is WAY too fast! I could never teach math with just envision alone I only use it 2 or 3 times a week and use other worksheets to fill in the gaps. That being said I LOVE the games that begin each chapter of envision and my kids really really love all the visuals and centers.

9. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Jan 23, 2009

Typically I don't look in this thread but when I saw enVision I had to check it out. I teach Kindergarten and we adopted enVision last Spring because it offers alot of good materials. Using enVision has been VERY difficult for all of the K and 1st grade teachers on our campus. In my opinion, it seems to teach at a higher level of thinking (which is GREAT) but not for a group of Kindergartners who are just getting familiar with "school". I typically have to supplement all of the lessons so my kids get the basic skills that they need.

10. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Jan 23, 2009

Again thank you everyone! I appreciate you taking the time to give your comments. A familiar theme I've heard is that people mention the pacing is way too fast. It made me wonder what publishers people were using before changing over to enVision & how their old pacing calendar compares.

My district currently uses Houghton Mifflin - CA 2002 edition. I'm not sure how many lessons we have in our current Houghton Mifflin book, but we do end up omiting 1 chapter because there's just not enough time. (It's a review chapter on + and - w/ larger numbers, so we send it home as extra-credit homework.)

11. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2009

I notice that this program is by Scott Foresman. We are using Scott Foresman (although not enVision) and I think the pacing is too fast also. Maybe that is just how the Scott Foresman series are set up.

12. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 24, 2009

OP- there are a few threads on this topic. You could try to put it in the search and see what you get.

We have it and I don't like it. Way too much stuff to do. It is used to supplement all the other stuff we have to do. It does not go in the same order as our lessons that are mandated so it is a mess. I guess if we just had it and it only, I could deal with it. I believe you need a long time to just sit and go through it and get training on it. It is way more that a teacher book and student guides. I teach first, BTW. It also depends on what you have now.

13. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jan 24, 2009

Do you teach in my district? Because that's my exact situation. I kind of gave up using it.

The Envision reps call it "visual learning." Looks like a lot of pretty full color worksheets to me.

14. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jan 24, 2009

I HATE it!!! I was even on the math committee that selected it. It appears great and even teaching a few of the themes it seems fine. As a whole...I don't like it!

For Kinders it's just not hands on enough...lots of worksheets!!!!!! You will be making copies forever. For the last two years I did my own thing for math...I think my kids were much farther along then they are this year!

I personally don't recommend it!

15. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 24, 2009

No, I am in Texas. I feel a little bad dissing it because maybe it would work for someone who had nothing but for me it is overwhelming. Even checking in all the stuff was a nightmare.

16. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Jan 24, 2009

From what I've seen with the adoption kit & the online stuff it looks really great. But I'm just afraid that I might be swayed by all the bells & whistles that I see. I have lots of tech equipment in my room so I'd get to use most of the tech components of the program. But I really value the opinions of others who are actually in the middle of using it right now. Thanks for your comments.

Thanks for the suggestion to do a search on it. Found lots of info!

17. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Jan 25, 2009

Eeeek!!:eek: You guys are scaring me. My school adopted this program for next year. Our younger grade teachers were really into the colorful book and the cool visuals it brought, but the upper grade teachers, including myself were concerned about the extra stuff and fitting it all in within our math time. We were also worried about transitioning from our "self-paced" math program we use now, to this program where it seems like you must have direct teacher instruction and the activities that relate to it for each lesson, for each student... We went to a short informative session about the curriculum and it seemed like a good program.... I'm scared!:eek:

18. TXKinderTeacher

TXKinderTeacher Rookie

Jan 25, 2009

We are using Envision for the first time this year. Like all the others have said, it is VERY fast paced, and I think many of the concepts taught for kindergarten are strangely laid out.

We have good technology in our school, and I use the visual bridge everyday, the problem of the day, and the Topic story at the beginning of each topic...on my TV/computer/internet set up. At first the kids loved it, but it's getting so boring.

At our campus, we don't have unlimited copies, so many of the worksheets we can't use anyway. We've tried some of the center games, but they take more time to explain than they take to do (most of them), and the math mats and colorful worksheets can be really confusing to the kids...some times they can't figure out where I'm at on the sheet.

I've actually had to put the whole program away for a few topics, and pull out my hands-on activities and other, more straightforward sheets.

MsMaggs - yes, there is a lot of teacher direct instruction with this program. And it takes me well over my allotted math time to do each daily piece.

Personally, it's been quite a nightmare for us....sorry to scare you...but if you can make copies of anything from your old program, do it now...so that you can supplement next year!!!