Entry Level Salary?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by pwhatley, Jun 4, 2007.

1. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jun 16, 2007

22K last year? That's absurd, you would qualify for public assistance on that if you had any kids

2. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 16, 2007

I'm addicted to the HGTV show House Hunters, so I know how expensive housing can be in CA and NY. I honestly don't know how people afford to live! We have a 2200 sq ft house on 3 acres, and it was only 130k! I think I saw where a 500 sq ft "apartment" sold for more than our property! Yikes!

3. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jun 16, 2007

Hi,

I love that show, too. (House Hunters) My husband wonders why I watch it since we just bought a home. I still think it's interesting. Especially, if they are filming in an area that we lived before. We had a chance to go back to Ventura, CA, but the high housing costs kept us away. My friend who just moved away from Louisiana (like we did) was looking at homes in the $800,000 range in Ventura County. We loved it there, but didn't want to rent or buy a condo. We have 3 boys, a dog, and cat. They need room to move! I also like "Designed to Sell". I like to see the renovations. What part of Louisiana are you in? We lived in Belle Chasse, outside of New Orleans, for 2 years. However, 10 months of that time was spent near Memphis, Tennessee (Millington) due to Hurricane Katrina.

Talk to you soon, Sheri

4. cjven

cjven Rookie

Jun 19, 2007

Last year I worked in a rural catholic school. Besides teaching I also was an assistant volleyball coach, assistant track coach, Close-Up and 8th grade class sponsor and Quiz Bowl coach which padded the base of 20,500. I was super busy but the nice thing was I rented an entire house for $300 a month.

I am moving back to the metro area in August to teach at an inner city catholic school. I was amazed at the difference in pay considering they are in the same diocese. I guess it's just cost of living!

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 19, 2007

Hiya, Neighbor! Nice to meecha!

We actually 9 miles outside of Shreveport. Love the quiet of the country and the conveniences of the city nearby! I actually lived in Belle Chase for a short while during junior high, and I loved it. I'm so sorry you had to endure Katrina's destruction. We got many refugees up here from Katrina, then when Rita hit, she headed right for our area and it was horrible! I have lived through a hurricane before, because I have lived in Buras, Belle Chase, New Iberia, Morgan City, and Grand Isle. It is never fun, no matter what the idiots who hang around drinking and having "hurrican parties" think. What part of TX do you live in? From what I've seen on several real estate type shows on HGTV, Austin and Houston seem to be the most expensive.

6. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jun 19, 2007

Hello,

I'm in Fort Worth (Keller). We just moved here mid-March. We only lived in Belle Chasse for about 2 years and 10 months of that was spent near Memphis. We had 3 evacuations in that 2 years. I wouldn't have stayed for a hurricane. I'm from the West Coast and so I'm still nervous about hurricanes and tornadoes. We were there for 2 tropical storms. The 2nd one in 2005 ended being named a Hurricane. It was supposed to slow down when it hit land, but didn't. It was Hurricane Cindy. A lot of people were still without electricity 3 days later when we were evacuating for Dennis. We only lost power for 8 hours. We just kept the refrigerator closed and we were fine. I worked as a Special Ed Aide at Belle Chasse Primary. I was applying to become a substitute and was hired as an aide instead. We have stayed near you several times when visiting friends, evacuating, and house hunting. We stayed on Bossier City a few times, Tyler, Longview, and Marshall, TX. It mostly depended on where we could use our hotel points for a complimentary room! We lived on the base in Belle Chasse. Take care, Sheri

7. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 19, 2007

Fratbrats:
    Hey Sheri, I hope that you haven't had any of that flooding that's been happening close to you. Stay safe!

8. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jun 19, 2007

Hi,

Thanks so much! We did get 5.5 inches in Keller the other night. I don't think that I'd ever seen that much rain. In San Diego, we were lucky to get that much in an entire year. I was thinking that I'd need to build an ark. We were fine. Just a really wet lawn. We are on a hill, so it ran away from our home. Some people in other parts of N. Texas used an axe and sat on their roofs. I also noticed those red X's on some people's homes left by rescue personnel. It was bringing back bad Katrina memories. We may get some tonight. Our weather forecasters said some bad storms may come down from Oklahoma City late tonight. Thanks again, Sheri

9. sisterto4

sisterto4 Rookie

Jun 20, 2007

Here in CO, I'm starting at 31,100 as a new teacher, 0 years experience. When I was job searching, the highest starting pay for teachers with no experience in the state of CO was 34,000. Sounds a lot like some of the others here.

10. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Jun 20, 2007

I live in DE and the cost of living is on the low side (very low taxes, no sales tax!).

The starting salary for me, with a masters and no experience, will be about $42k.

I think the salary for bachelors is around $36k.

11. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 20, 2007

I think that 22K was for teaching in a private school. Public Schools in the Twin Cities Metropolitan Area generally run around 34,000-35,000 BA only, first year teacher. Some may start at a little higher rate, and others a little lower, but generally, low 30s is what you'll find for no experience and no additional credits beyond a BA.

12. HoustonTeacher

HoustonTeacher Rookie

Jun 20, 2007

Reading this thread make me appreciate living in Texas (Houston) low cost of living, average house $135,000 and first year teacher for 2007-2008 $41k - 42K

13. lisascs

lisascs Rookie

Jun 21, 2007

Do you get a bonus if you can speak fluent Spanish?

14. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

The starting pay in my neck of the Metroplex is supposed to be 42,500 next year. Then they give you a stipend if you are ESL certified $500 and then if you coach you get another stipend based on the number of years you hav taught.

With my coaching stipend and ESL stipend I made more than my mom who lives in S. Texas and has taught for 30 years, even though she is on a state board for education in Texas and is 300000000000000000000x the teaher that I am.

15. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

The Hurst-Euless-Bedford ISD (Fort Worth area) just posted their new salary schedule for the 2007/2008 school year today. A Bachelor's with no experience will receive $46,000. (I'll take it!) However, if you have 1 year of experience you will receive a $20.00 raise. Try not to spend that $20.00 in one place. But, I think that they are trying to be competitive like every other ISD.

Sheri

16. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 21, 2007

In my district, new teachers (with a bachelor's degree) start out making $37,000.

17. Helga06

Helga06 Rookie

Jun 21, 2007

I'm starting out at 36k

18. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jun 21, 2007

In my district starting with a BA and no experience earns you $30,500.

19. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

I work and live in Baltimore (I work in the city schools) and I started last year without any experience at a step 4 making 41226. The new teachers coming in this year are apparently starting 4 steps above where I started last year (which stinks!) and the cost of living is kind of high (in comparison to where I moved from last year-Atlanta).

20. kck2106

kck2106 New Member

Jun 22, 2007

I recented got a job at a private school (in Long Island) as a resource/ESL teacher. My starting salary is 45K, just enough to survive in NYC. I have heard that NYC pub schools pay 52K with a masters and no experience.

21. Teach in Tampa

Teach in Tampa Rookie

Jun 22, 2007

Tampa starts at $35,000 but are in negotiations to raise it to about $37,000. Average home price is roughly $250,000.