Entrance and Exit Slips

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by mmslynxteach, Nov 24, 2005.

1. mmslynxteach

mmslynxteach Rookie

Nov 24, 2005

Hello to One and All!

I am new to this site and look forward to getting some great information and news from some great teachers. I am only into my third year this year at my school and hope to teach for many more years to come!

I am looking for some ideas on entrance and exit slips to be used in the classroom. I only have a few ideas that have been passed to me from some of my coworkers and am hoping to get a few new ideas. Does anyone have any suggetsions for entrance and exit slips?

Thanks!:)

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 24, 2005

I'm not sure what you are referring to - entrance and exit slips. Maybe others can help you!

But, welcome to AtoZ!!!

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 24, 2005

Welcome to A to Z, mmslynxteach! :)
    I'm not sure what you mean by entrance and exit slips, but this really is a great site and I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses from all of the great teachers on here!

Welcome!!

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 24, 2005

Glendall, we posted at the same time! :)

6. mmslynxteach

mmslynxteach Rookie

Nov 24, 2005

To clarify, by Entrance and Exit Slips I mean forms or papers students can complete on their way in and out of a classroom to show comprehension during a lesson. Some I know are Give One Get One, where students write down 2 things they learned that day at the end of the lesson and then share with partners. Also, Post-It Note Quizzes, where a teacher writes a question on the board, and students answer it on a Post-It Note and sticks it to the board when they leave. Does anyone else have some great ideas for quick assessment when students are coming in or leaving?

Thanks for all of the welcomes! I hope my clairification helps! :)

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 24, 2005

Oh ok, I understand now! haha :)
    You could have them write down one thing they learned and one question that they have on an index card and have them leave the index cards in a box or something on their way out of the classroom.

8. mmslynxteach

mmslynxteach Rookie

Nov 24, 2005

Thanks! :)

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 24, 2005

You're very welcome!
    It's getting late and it's a holiday so there aren't many people on here tonight, but I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses tomorrow.

10. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Nov 24, 2005

I don't do entrance slips- too many kids "loose them- it is just too much on a headache.

For exit slips, I have used 3x5 cards- then I put them into recipe card holders- easy storage for the semester or trimester.

Here are some ways that I have done them:

The kids can chose what level of response they want to give. I expect 10 points per week- they have to give me at least one point per day. That allows for some flexibility and for students to have an "off day" and not loose their points. One point answers are answering a "who, what, when and where" question. Two point responses need to explain a why. Three pointers need to involve thought, extra research, etc. They can include a personal connection that is detailed and relevant. I tell them that I want to learn something new by reading their responses.

I write two questions on the board- on there at the beginning of the hour. The students can chose from the two and answer the question on the card.

I have each day of the week assigned as a certain topic. Example: Monday= give a personal connection; Tuesday = Tell what, when, where, why, and who; Wednesday= Hypothesize about something that happened before/after; Thursday=how do you think someone would think/feel? Friday= Your choice.

Most of these I have used in science or social but could be adapted for other areas!

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 25, 2005

These are terrific ideas! I am expecially fond of the "Post-it Note Quiz". I'll be trying this out today!