Entering Apts Without Permission

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 26, 2012

So, my apt hunting continues. I've only been looking at apt complexes owned by corporations, not privately owned places. I've read in apt reviews that one big company that owns many complexes in my area have maintenance guys who are known to enter people's apts without permission or even while the renter's not home. I don't know how that's legal or maybe it's not, but they do it anyway. I don't like that at all...who would! I could see maybe if the apt catches fire & they have to break in to save people's pets, but to just barge on it?! I'm not renting from those particular apts! :mad:

What's the rule regarding this issue in apts in your area?

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2012

I own two properties and I know darn well that legally, I"m not allowed to enter the property unless I'm going in there to repair something (or show the place if they gave more out notice) and I give them proper notice ahead of time. Of course, I hired a property management to deal with all that, but that's what they told me when I asked about if they are allowed to go in and check up on the house.

I'm in CA too.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 26, 2012

I think that apartment residents do have an expectation of privacy, so 24 hour notice is reasonable. In the apartments I've lived in, management would give 24 hour notice whenever maintenance needed to come in and do routine work or repairs. They sometimes had to come when I wasn't home, but that was just the way it was due to their availability and scheduling.

If there's an emergency, like a burst pipe or smell of gas, I would expect maintenance to enter the apartment immediately and without notice, even if I'm not home.

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 26, 2012

There are laws that dictate when a landlord can and can't enter your unit. That doesn't mean that they always abide by those laws. In my experience, there's no real difference between corporate landlords and private landlords when it comes to who's going to break those laws. Some do, most don't.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 26, 2012

Landlords have to get consent to enter apartments for repairs and such.

In some circumstances they can enter property without consent, but they have to give proper notice. For example they have the right to inspect the property once or twice a year. In this case the resident can't postpone it by not giving consent. The landlord can be reasonable and and reschedule, but eventually he can go in even if the resident is not home. The same goes for important upgrades, inspections, etc.

Of course, in emergencies, such as water leak, gas leak, fire, etc, they have to right to enter without consent.

I would not want to rent from someone that ignores the law and my right to privacy.

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 26, 2012

I just had the yearly check in my apartment. The company gave sufficient notice and while I understand why they do yearly checks, it still creeps me out. My apartment was a mess and it just makes me uneasy.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 26, 2012

One of the reasons I left my old apartment was that the landlord entered whenever he wanted. I had to change the lock on the door here (the knob broke). I tried to get a key to the landlord, but it didn't make it (long story). He still has a key to the deadbolt, so if he needs to get in here he just contacts me. (He doesn't ever come in here, but he can. :( ) I looked up my renter's rights so I would know what to accept and what to refuse. I did a quick search and found this one for California. http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/index.shtml

9. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Mar 26, 2012

My previous apartments gave notice when they were spraying for bugs. It was a once a month thing and usually gave a week notice.

10. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Mar 26, 2012

I own my apartment so... yeah. I'd feel really uncomfortable with random checks, no matter what the purpose. If someone steps into my home they need to have my permission to be there.

During my freshman year of college I was in my dorm room, naked as a jaybird, and my R.A just walked in like he owned the **** place. Although it was quite funny, it still was a bit intrusive. I moved off campus the next year.

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 26, 2012

We always get notice when someone is going to enter our apartment, and they rarely ever do - just for maintenance, upgrades, etc. I've lived in many apartments in CA, with my mom and now with my husband, and it's always the same way.

That said, are you talking about www.apartmentratings.com? Take what people on that website say with a grain of salt. We LOVE our apartment and can find nothing wrong with it, and it's less than 50% recommended on that website. Reviews talk about cockroaches (never seen any), terrible management (they're always incredibly nice to us!), etc etc...all problems we have NEVER had. Apartment ratings is a meeting place for people who like to complain. ;) And sometimes their complaints are isolated incidents, their fault, or only part of the story...you get the idea.

12. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 26, 2012

Agreed with yellowdaisies, definitely take apartmentratings.com with a grain of salt. Only the disgruntled people leave reviews, not the ones that live perfectly normal lives there. Unless someone says bedbugs, then avoid at all costs. They aren't really an issue down here though.

Landlords do have to give a 24 hour notice unless there's some kind of emergency, but they don't need "permission" per se to come in for repairs and things like that. When I first moved in, our landlady kept coming in and bringing workers and stuff without telling us first because the place was still being renovated. We asked her to give us warnings and since then, she has. We try to have someone home but often we can't because everyone is at work. We also asked her to stay in the house with any workers that come in, and she does that. She's a great lady and we trust her. Especially if you're renting in a corporate complex (I'm not), they know the law perfectly well. Definitely read up on tenants rights in California just to be aware anyway though.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2012

I think the concern is less for other people's pets than for the protection of their own property. So, for example, it there's a leak in the ceiling of the downstairs apartment, I think they have a reasonable case to enter your apartment to see if the tub is overflowing.

Again, I think it's all about doing your homework, speaking to other residents of the complex and seeing whether they're happy with the way things are done.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 27, 2012

Thanks for the comments guys & for the link ChristyF.

Well, yes, but there's more than just a couple comments about how the Lewis Apartment Communities does this kind of thing.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 27, 2012

Have you considered a condo ms I? Outside of renting a single family home, I never felt completely 'private' other than when I've had my own home. Even then, you can have neighbor issues, but you're more in control of your own surroundings when you own them.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 28, 2012

I don't want something that permanent just yet. To me, condos are almost worse than apts because you're buying rather than renting, yet it's just like an apt bldg so a person's really stuck & it's a lot more trouble to just jump up & get out if the neighbors or environment are horrendous.

17. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 28, 2012

Renters have a reasonable right to privacy, but property owners have the right to check on their property and make sure it isn't being damaged from time to time. As a former landlord, I made it clear that renters were to keep the house in good condition and that I would conduct walk-thru inspections to ensure this was happening. I normally did the inspections when I went to collect the rent. The renter knew when I was coming and that I would be walking through the house. I deliberately chose to go when the renters were NOT home because there were 3 daughters in the family and I would not go into the house when they were there, but their mother was not. So it was easiest to just go when none of them were there.

In my current apartment complex, the site manager explained during orientation that there would be workers coming into the apartment from time-to-time for various reasons; checking smoke detectors, making minor repairs, etc. I have always been contacted by email letting me know when someone might be coming to do some work. I have no problem with them coming in while I'm gone, since it would get pretty crowded in my studio apartment if we were all there at the same time.

The site manager also explained that the only parts of the apartment that were truly "private" were the bedrooms in each unit (each bedroom also has a private bath). In my studio apartment, the entire unit is considered "private", but larger units have a "common area" (living room/kitchen) and separate bedrooms. According to the manager, the "common areas" are, technically, public property and management has the right to enter those areas at any time without ANY notification at all, IF they deem it necessary to do so. Normally, this would only be done if the renters were violating rules by having a large, rowdy party, etc. Even in the larger units, they always try to inform the renters ahead of time so they will know what to expect, but they are not legally required to do so.

18. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 28, 2012

Ms I- I say this with your interests at heart: please don't be so concerned about all of the unknowns and what ifs, that you don't take action. Prepared is one thing, but you need to expect to deal with things as they come up. Have fun!

19. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Mar 29, 2012

I have two houses that are currently being rented out in the states. (I live overseas now.) When I was located next to the houses to manage them, I had a few instances where I needed to get into the house. The first time I had reason to believe that the tenants had abandoned the house. I called the non emergency police number and took my copy of the lease along to the house. The policeman, based on what I told him, believed the house was now abandoned and entered it with his gun drawn to verify. It had in fact been abandoned and even as the landlord, I took steps to ensure that I wasn't going to get in trouble for checking out my own house. Then there have been a few other instances where something needed fixed in the house and depending on the tenant, I either stayed with the house to make sure the work was done or the tenant did. As a landlord, I just want them to take care of the place as if it were their own. I'm not going to disrespect you and your family and just barge in, but if there is a problem that needs fixed, I'd hope you'd allow me to come in and fix it.

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 29, 2012

I'm going off my own topic a little here, but I was having lunch w/ a pal yesterday. Her marriage is ending & she says she'll probably have to move back in w/ her mother. She's 43. She lives in a far away city from me, but wants to move back to my area. I guess she can't afford an apt w/o getting a roommate. She's been working for my district as a paraprofessional for 20 something yrs. It's tough out there.

Complexes say that in the summer, the rent tends to increase because more people are moving, but due to that, I would think it should be decreasing. We shall see!

21. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 29, 2012

Ms. I - have you considered setting a date that if rent hasn't reached the level you are looking for, you will take the rate on X date (regardless of price).

I know it may end up costing you a bit more, but I would be wanting a plan to move and get on with my life. With summer coming, you would have time to pack and move. But, if you keep waiting on that perfect rent payment, you may wait yourself out of a move.

22. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 29, 2012

I agree with ku_alum. I put off moving out for a while too, until one day I just set a date to move that was convenient for me. Then I looked for a place that'd be available for me on that date, and I did it. I think that's pretty much the only way to go when you're renting. It's different than buying a house. I'm doing the same thing this time around.

How about the first of the month after school gets out for you, whenever that is? I'm guessing July 1st. I'm moving again June 1st because that's right after my college semester ends. In two weeks, I'm notifying my landlady. Then I'll be seriously looking for a place as well as a roommate to replace me where I live now, and signing a lease in April. It's really something you have to just make happen!

23. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 1, 2012

Supply and demand - if more people want apartments, they can charge more.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 2, 2012

ku_alum, oh yes, I've thought of the time when I just can't stand waiting around & will want to move, BUT...I will not move until I know for the sure that the rent is on the lower side. It may not be the cheapest, but as long as I know it's one of the lowest. I refuse to pay a lot more when I know for a fact it's been cheaper & I'm willing to wait until that happens.