Enrollment?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by acl1974, Sep 11, 2013.

1. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Sep 11, 2013

I have a question for those of you who might understand staffing issues based on your experience as teachers or on hiring committees. How long do they usually take to determine if they want to hire new teachers based on enrollment? I have noticed that schools are more nervous now about bringing on additional staff until they're absolutely sure due to budget issues. I heard two teachers talking yesterday about how students were coming late to enroll and they added students to their classes. One of the teachers said she asked the principal where he wanted her to put the students. They weren't talking to me. It was at a social gathering, and they were chatting with each other since they both work in the same district. So, I started thinking about the hiring process after school starts. I remember last year there were a couple of part-time positions posted in my hometown district at the end of September. I'm open to any district within a reasonable commute, I just remember those postings for some reason. In your schools, do they look at staffing after the first official count day (early October here) or do they do informal count days prior to that to decide. I'm just curious about the process since I felt like late September was late last year. I'm pretty ignorant of the way it works though.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2013

In my experience, schools usually have a contingency plan in place even before "count day" (when they get an official enrollment number). Schools have a plan as to how many teachers and in which grades/subjects to either hire or get rid of, and they're ready to go with that information as soon as the official numbers are in.

4. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Sep 11, 2013

I have been wondering about this also. I am trying to land my first teaching job and was hoping that I might get a few calls this week or next since new students to the district did not start signing up until Monday. I had never heard of a "count day" so that is making me nervous now that principals may be anticipating the increase in students and may not need to do anymore hiring for this year.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 11, 2013

We are a small district. Everything is set before school is even out the previous year. Very slim chance of us getting in enough new kids to put us over numbers.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2013

I know that the decision on whether or not to reorganize our classes, and hire another teacher, will be on or just after Sept. 23; we'll have been in school for 3 weeks.

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2013

I don't know if we have a specific date or not, but it's definitely been talked about all year long in my school before. We are in our first week and still getting new kids. We had to add a 4th kinder class because enrollment got so large, but they added that class in August when they realized it.