Enrichment

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by macteach, Sep 20, 2009.

1. macteach

macteach Rookie

Sep 20, 2009

I have three students that are very high in most concepts in math.
    As teachers, what do you do for those kids to keep boosting them higher? As a new teacher, I try and pull the low kids to work with them, but the high kids seem to be falling through the cracks.I can always give them more challenging worksheets etc. I would like to know what some of you do to further these students.
    Thanks!!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2009

As you have realized, your high ones deserve their own individualized curriculum (not just more worksheets). If you could tell us what grade you are teaching, we may be able to give you more pertinent advice.

4. macteach

macteach Rookie

Sep 20, 2009

I teach 2nd grade. I do realize worksheets are not always the route to go, and computers can be a great tool, but I would like to hear any other ideas out there as well. Thanks

5. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Sep 20, 2009

We need some G&T teachers to help with ideas. :) I just noticed there isn't a gifted and talented forum. That would be fun....they always have the best activities....higher level, open-ended, lots of critical thinking/problem solving...

FPSP is great...here is a link:
    http://www.fpspi.org/findad.html

6. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Sep 20, 2009

The program we use for math (Everyday Math) provides enrichment activities for those who are above average in skill level. I was under the impression that most programs do the same. What math program are you using?

7. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Sep 20, 2009

I have some great stuff at school, if I have time tomorrow I'll post some things I use, as well as some catalogs I use to order materials.

You can give those kids an assessment to see what level they're on and get math books from upper grades. Please don't use these kids as tutors or give them extra work sheets to keep them busy.

Check out this site: http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/

8. macteach

macteach Rookie

Sep 20, 2009

We use Bridges Math. It is great for hands on activities and there is truthfully not that many worksheets, but it does not provide a lot of enrichment activities. Thanks for the great sites and all your suggestions.

9. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2009

Just as you pull groups for the low kids, you should be pulling for the middle of the road and high kids (IMO of course).