Enrichment for 4th grade gifted kids

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by kinderaus, Sep 28, 2009.

1. kinderaus

kinderaus Rookie

Sep 28, 2009

I have an interesting class this year and I moved from K to 4th, so this is all overwhelming enough by itself.

I have 7 kids in the gifted and talented program and they are all way above level in almost every content area. They need to be enriched- I know this- but I am overwhelmed with regular planning alone, let alone with this. I was thinking for math, giving them a special folder or notebook with some higher level work- and then meeting once a week to go over the answers and discuss.

They are also way above in science- but with most of the class struggling in general science content- like the scientific method, it's going to be very difficult for me to conduct two experiments simultaneously. I thought about letting the kids come up with their own experiments, so long as it matches our content being covered.

Any other ideas would really be appreciated.

Thank you!

3. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Sep 28, 2009

Do you have access to AR Math? This would be a possibility for your higher kids to work at their own level. Just a thought.

4. awp0718

awp0718 Rookie

Oct 15, 2009

FIBONACCI! The kids LOVE to figure this stuff out. I think there is a resource out there about history to math connections? Keep an eye out for it! Also, number palendromes and other difficult math problems that take several steps to solve.

I pretest my kids and if they test out, I give them extension activities. This keeps the kids interested and parents out of my hair!

5. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Oct 15, 2009

My gifted students love working on self-directed inquiry projects. You could let them choose their own topics or provide a list of topics related to your science unit. They could come up with their own questions to discover the answers to, or research questions provided by you.

Gifted students might also enjoy a Tic-Tac-Toe selection of projects related to your science topic. There are many books through Pieces of Learning that provide excellent examples, including one called You Choose!

I also have my gifted students use Mastery Club. Actually, all of my students do, but my gifted students tend to choose harder challenges and meet them more creatively. You can Google Mastery Club for more information.