enrichment/differentiation

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by ktshafra, Feb 2, 2010.

1. ktshafra

ktshafra Rookie

Feb 2, 2010

Hi! I have a few students that are significantly more capable of more challenging work. I've started creating packets of work for a few of these students. These packets contain a combination of short story comprehension work (including summarizing, vocabulary, etc.), vocabulary word games, language extensions (going beyond identifying the pronoun, etc.).

I'm wondering what kinds of things you do to keep your higher-achieving students engaged and learning, when they don't need as much instruction on a given concept as the rest of the class. Have you used extra work packets for when they've finished other assignments? Advice greatly appreciated! :)

3. SarahJ

SarahJ Companion

Feb 7, 2010

I have a stack of puzzle books that my students can use if they finish early and if their work is correct (only 2 or 3 who finish really fast and correctly at the moment) The books contain wordsearches, soduku, riddles, number puzzles etc. They seem to enjoy them and don't see them as extra work and since they are self-correcting or have answers in the back, its no extra work for me to mark.

4. wrice

wrice Habitué

Feb 12, 2010

From a science perspective, I like to give a related research topic and have kids Google it. Sometimes questions come up during discussion, and whoever finishes her work early may go and try to find the answer. If time allows, they can then present findings to the class so everyone benefits.

We also usually have some kind of project going that they can work on (building a Connex Marble Run toy or cutting out and assembling a DNA model)

I'd hesitate to give too many extra worksheets, even if they are fun, since there is a risk the kids will view the work as punishment for finishing early.

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 12, 2010

I use to teach G & T, one thing that worked for me was have the children research and prepare a report on the current or the future topic we were on. At the time there was not power points...now I would use power points. Have them prepare a presentation to share with others.

6. dannyboy

dannyboy Companion

Feb 23, 2010

try a movie

I just saw this K level movie on a site and I figure if K students can make a movie so can my 4ths. Here is the site, take a look and see what you think. The first time around it might take extra time and effort on your part.

blogs.scholastic.com/classroom_solutions/2009/12/part-3-the-making-of-no-david.html#more