enrichment clusters?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Jenlovestoteach, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jan 17, 2008

Does anyone use enrichment clusters in their school? If so, what's the general teacher sentiment about them? Would love to hear your experience!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2008

Not sure what enrichment clusters are? We have a pull out enrichment program...

4. darkangel

darkangel Companion

Jan 18, 2008

We have our enrichment cluster worked into our school day instead of having our 37 and half minutes after school. I love it and the kids look forward to it! Its way better than staying after school. It makes our day longer here and there.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 18, 2008

What are they? We have learning labs. The kids are grouped by what they need the most. Right now we have a letter id group, letter sound, Ot group, reading group, and writing group. We meet with these groups three times a week for 45 minutes.

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 18, 2008

We, I, do self contained G.T. classes, I have a 2nd grade class filled w/identified gifted children. Even at that I still have a few kids who are out the very end of the Bell Curve; they're hard to teach. As an advocate for these brainy kids, their needs are just as important as the special ed kid who gets $1,000's & $1,000's of $'s spent on them. With the No Child Left Behind smart kids are really swept under the rug. Like it or not, they're entitled to a challenging curriculum, too. A lot of teachers in my district say they would prefer that as to having all the smart kids in one class, they say it takes away a lot from their classes. You're entitled to extra training to serve these kids, I hope you get it. You'll enjoy it much more if you know what to do with them, if they're not challenged they'll be trouble makers.

7. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Jan 18, 2008

Our school does clusters in the upper grades (3-5). What that means is they try to "cluster" the AG (academic talented gifted) kids together, 4-5 to a room. There are pros and cons to this. A pro is that the students are able to have extra projects and studies together to complete since they are together. A big con is that then there is often the "low cluster" and unfortunately that often means behavior problems. I am torn and wish I could find a perfect way to cluster. I think that kids that are gifted or kids that are talented could benefit from more specific instruction-HOWEVER there is a lot to be said for learning from your peers, whether they are on the same level as you or not. And I don't just mean the low kids learning from the smart kids. Often the low kids have just as much to offer, but from a different perspective as the smart kids. The teachers that have the gifted clusters are often very happy-but the rest of the teachers usually complain that they don't have any shining stars in their class.

8. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jan 18, 2008

thanks for the replies... To clarify what I meant originally, I was speaking about Joseph Renzulli's schoolwide enrichment model (SEM) and the enrichment clusters he uses... for anyone who's interested, here is a link http://www.gifted.uconn.edu/sem/semart01.html... They are authentic learning experiences where kids self-select into a workshop and work for 6-8 sessions on creating a real life product based on their topic of interest...

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 18, 2008

That's a cool link, Jenlovestoteach.

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 19, 2008

Jenlovestoteach, what do you think about the SEM's clustering? Does it work for you? I'd like to try something a little different for the handful of really brilliant kids in my self-contained gifted class and had forgotten about Renzulli's clustering since I haven't put it into use. I read about it back in grad school but got busy trying to keep up w/the tryanny of the urgent at school.

11. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Jan 19, 2008

HootOwl -- I love the idea of SEM clustering... have you ever been to Confratute at UConn? My district sent me last year and it was amazing to see and talk to schools and teachers who have the clusters in action....I'm going to hopefully try it this year with curriculum based ones to get teacher support in the bldg... and if that works out okay, try it for real next year... I think it definitely stretches EVERY child's ability, not just the GT, which is why I believe it is worthwhile...

12. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jan 19, 2008

We did this at my old school. School ended at 2:45 or something, and the kids stayed until 3:45 for enrichment. We did Junior Great Books with them. We did it 3 days a week. This was enrichment on top of the regular reading curriculum and it was SO good. I totally recommend JGB as an enrichment reading program. I use it as part of my regular reading program now, and love it. It's more folk tales and classical literature but really gets the kids thinking and talking. When I first saw it, it reminded me of my college lit classes, but with like, Jack and the Beanstalk... it's amazing!

We also had after school, school on those three days from 3:45-5:00 and did extra math with the kids. The JGB was not by ability, but the math was. This was a failing school, so the enrichment was not for gifted kids.... it was to keep everyone from failing the test! The math classes were grouped by ability. I had the lowest kids and Spec. Ed kids in my class.